DO AHEAD. LOVE IT! If the pictures are anything to go by I am sure I won’t be dissapointed! Brush cookies generously with oil and sprinkle with crushed fennel and sea salt. Will definitely make it again. In the garden grows fennel among many other things. chopped dried Alternatively, pulse in a spice mill until coarsely crushed. Reduce speed to medium and beat, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl, until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes. So good! Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 10x8-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut in thirds crosswise, then cut each third crosswise into 6 rectangles. STIR flour with figs, Set fennel salt aside. Bake, rotating halfway through until cookies are golden brown, about 20-24 minutes. Then slice before you bake. To make this even easer, roll this into two logs and wrap in Saran before refrigerating. is a bit too long. Agreed - do not Ad Choices, cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cup finely grated Parmesan (about 2 ounces), teaspoon Maldon sea salt or other coarse salt, Caitlin Williams Freeman of Blue Bottle Coffee in San Francisco C. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours. Set fennel salt aside. My family's complaint was that they were too salty, but for me they had a weird texture and flavor that just didn't work. Place fennel seeds in a resealable plastic freezer bag. These little shortbreads are meant to go with coffee, but I think they would be nice as a little nibble with wine just before people settle down to the table. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until cookies are golden brown (flecks of cheese will be slightly darker), 20–24 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat mixture just until dough comes together. I gathered it and am chilling it overnight. I’m a big fan of Bon Appétit’s gorgeous photography. © Copyright 2020 St. Joseph Communications. We love this recipe and we are adding it to our Fennel Friday Conga Line Inspiration List at FennelFriday.com, Your email address will not be published. Any salty hard cheese, such as an aged Manchego, Grana Padano, or Mimolette, would be a fine substitute for the Parmesan. All rights reserved. Parmesan Shortbread with Fennel and Sea Salt Recipe from Bon Appétit Shortbread is dangerous stuff. Don't let them get too brown. Making again! $7.99. Bake, rotating halfway through until cookies are golden brown, about 20-24 minutes. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a medium bowl on low speed until smooth, 1–2 minutes. Brush cookies generously with oil and sprinkle with crushed fennel and sea salt. I cut them into small bite size cookies. flour, 1 cup butter Add the flour and chefs and mix just until dough comes together. Not too fennely. yield: 20 mini shortbreads. Preparation. By Caitlin Williams Freeman of Blue Bottle Coffee in San Francisco CA. As fennel is one of my favourite flavours I am going to have to give this one a go. It one or two and you can almost feel the button on your jeans go POP. Fennel IS good stuff! Their covers always catch my eye at the store and inevitably I buy every issue. granulated sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a medium bowl on low speed until smooth, 1–2 minutes. The Neighbor being the kind woman that she is allows me to pinch things here and there. Serve warm or at room temperature. Restaurant recommendations you trust. To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. How would you rate Parmesan Shortbread with Fennel and Sea Salt? Savory & Add powdered sugar, pepper, and kosher salt. Bon Appétit may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. I know, I know, it seems like everything I post on this blog has fennel in it. fennel seeds, 1 1/2 cups unsalted © 2020 Condé Nast. easy to transport if you need to bring an appetizer to a party. Alternatively, pulse in a spice mill until coarsely crushed. Love this recipe. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. ground This recipe is exceptional! Great with espresso or as hors d'oeuvres. Wrap dough in plastic and flatten into a rectangle. (It’s just $1 an issue when you subscribe. Add powdered sugar, pepper, and kosher salt. That’s crazy savings.) Arrange a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°. Unfortunately, magazine subscriptions don’t always work for Canadians and I never did end up getting anything in my mailbox. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I just had to make them. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a medium bowl on low speed until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Made this recipe for a cocktail party. Let cool on sheets for at least 10 minutes. Not too sweet nor too salty. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in sea salt. Lovely recipe. St. Joseph Communications uses cookies for personalization, to customize its online advertisements, and for other purposes. (Photo, Sian Richards. Fine to use with drinks before dinner or during a savory meal. Let cool on sheet for at least 10 minutes. I reduced the sugar (as I always do) to 1/3 cup or 40 grams and it was just perfect, I thought. appetizer with wine. Finally, last September Mike said enough is enough and he signed me up for a subscription. Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). overcook! Brush cookies generously with oil, then sprinkle with fennel salt. Has anyone else had this experience?? Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until cookies are golden brown (flecks of cheese will be slightly darker), 20-24 minutes. What can I say? as an Cut in thirds crosswise, then cut each third crosswise into 6 rectangles. $7.99. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. DO AHEAD: Dough can be made 5 days ahead. They were calling to me and I’m not one to ignore deliciousness. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat mixture just until dough comes together. Add powdered sugar, pepper, and kosher salt. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Shape the dough into a rectangle and wrap with plastic wrap. Coarsely crush with a rolling pin or the bottom of a skillet. Everyone LOVED these little cookies. They’re quite complex tasting: mildly cheesy, slightly sweet and savoury from the crunch of salt and fennel seeds.