A perfect And at the right time 20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. oThere are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, pas they do the other Scriptures. Be on guard lest you lose your footing and get swept off your feet by these lawless and loose-talking teachers. wIf anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. The sky will collapse with a thunderous bang, everything disintegrating in a huge conflagration, earth and all its works exposed to the scrutiny of Judgment. 21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. 24 Let mwhat you heard from the beginning abide in you. best. we need to be continually ready. In the book, Peter challenges Jesus' followers to continue growing in their faith, love and service to God. His Throughout these verses, Peter’s emphasis is on God’s Word. 3 And rin their greed they will exploit you swith false words. things of which men boast, the things for which they live are passing things at Peter calls for faithfulness and confronts corrupt teachers who distorted the message about Jesus and lead others astray. 3 knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come jin the last days with scoffing, kfollowing their own sinful desires. 9  God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness. thief; on that day the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, the elements The The old commandment is the word that you have heard. would come, but they should not be discouraged by the arrogant and blasphemous 9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he ois blind, having forgotten that he was pcleansed from his former sins. Rather they should see in them a definite indication that 15  Interpret our Master's patient restraint for what it is: salvation. 5  They conveniently forget that long ago all the galaxies and this very planet were brought into existence out of watery chaos by God's word. Specific issues confronting the church and the world today—issues such as racial reconciliation, human rights, the dignity of life, and conflict resolution— are not addressed at an explicit level. He's giving everyone space and time to change. His Nov 19, 2020 because ryour sins are forgiven for his name’s sake. 6  Then God's word brought the chaos back in a flood that destroyed the world. Read Scripture. 7 and godliness lwith brotherly affection, and brotherly affection mwith love. In both of them gI am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder, 22 What the true proverb says has happened to them: “The fdog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.”. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn't want anyone lost. 7 But by the same word rthe heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and sdestruction of the ungodly. because you know shim who is from the beginning. 3 1 My dear friends, this is now the second time I've written to you, both letters reminders to hold your minds in a state of undistracted attention. things are to be dissolved in this way, it is clear what sort of people you 17  But you, friends, are well-warned. 15 And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things. 11  Since everything here today might well be gone tomorrow, do you see how essential it is to live a holy life? 12 dwaiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and ethe heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! day the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, the elements will burn and be 12 iBut these, like irrational animals, jcreatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed, blaspheming about matters of which they are ignorant, will also be destroyed in their destruction, 2 Peter 3:10-13, Peter is nearing the end of his life and he begins this last 7 Beloved, I am writing you ino new commandment, but jan old commandment kthat you had from the beginning. 17 And zthe world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. 8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and ta thousand years as one day. new earth should deepen our desire to live holy as to the Lord. Some things Paul writes are difficult to understand. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then nyou too will abide in the Son and in the Father. wait for the day of God and hasten its coming. The galaxies will burn up and the elements melt down that day - 13  but we'll hardly notice. 2 Peter is an intense, passionate farewell speech addressed to the same Messianic church communities as 1 Peter. They were drawing away some naïve professing Christians with their message of “freedom,” which was really leading people into slavery to sin (2:19). Nov 19, 2020 Old Testament Reading: 2 Chronicles 12-15 New Testament Reading: 2 Peter 3. 4 And we are writing these things so kthat our1 joy may be complete. 19 And gwe have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention has to a lamp shining in a dark place, until ithe day jdawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, written to you; in both letters, I want to stir up your sincere understanding. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved. 18  Grow in grace and understanding of our Master and Savior, Jesus Christ. In 2 Peter 3:1-17, Peter is dealing with the hard heart of scoffing at the return of Jesus Christ, the final Judgement and how we should be living. 18 we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on fthe holy mountain. should be in holy conduct and godliness as you wait for the day of God and Since all these 2 But mfalse prophets also arose among the people, njust as there will be false teachers among you, who will osecretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master pwho bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 Peter 3 The Message Bible << 2 Peter 2 | 2 Peter 3 | 1 John 1 >> The Promise of the Lord's Coming. (1-2) Another reference to the importance of being reminded. dissolved, and the earth and the works on it will be disclosed. chapter reminding his readers that this is now the second letter I have 2 Peter 3. Matthew Henry Bible Commentary (complete), Matthew Henry’s Bible Commentary (concise), California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. 1 Simeon 1 Peter, a servant 2 and apostle of Jesus Christ,. 8 For if these qualities6 are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or nunfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.