They market it as a “complete personal computer, built into a compact keyboard”: You no longer need to restrict yourself to the PIXEL desktop. In an earlier section I mentioned that we want the xfce4-session session manager. However, it could be that you didn’t have a display sever installed before. Easily achieved by running the following command: Next we’ll go ahead and select the session manager. Installing and using Arch Linux is complex for new users. Continue with the selection of the window manager. If you’re new to this or looking for a suggestion, XFCE is a fantastic place to start. Now go ahead and reboot your system. Dots is a popular flat theme for Linux. It should be like this : mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Method 1: Install Xfce Desktop using Xfce Package. Luckily, this is possible. It provides the foundation needed by all the other components. To complete the steps in this article and install the XFCE desktop on your Raspberry PI, you need the following: Throughout this article, I assume you already installed the Raspberry PI operating system. The rest of the things remain the same. The startxfce4 file consists of a script that initializes the XFCE session and under the hood calls the xfce4-session executable for us. At this point you have a good understanding of what components you need, to install the XFCE desktop on your Raspberry PI. You might have settled on the XFCE desktop. The processor microcode is installed that is also what I recommend to do.If you wish to learn more about settings and fine-tuning your MX Linux, check out our article on things to do after installing MX Linux. If you have installed any other greeter, you will need to set it in the config file for lightdm(/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf). Once you have yay installed, you can upgrade all the packages on your system using the command. XFCE is one of my favorite desktop environment for Linux. Requirements for installing Arch Linux: Step 1: Download the Arch Linux ISO. Any Raspberry PI 4 board, including the new Raspberry PI 400. As you can see in the last line of the screenshot, all XFCE desktop components consume about 1 GB of disk space. To determine Systemd’s default boot target, run this command: It should output graphical.target. So why would you want to switch to another desktop, such as XFCE? Default Apps. Refer to the previously published tutorial on how to perform a minimal install on your Raspberry PI for step-by-step instructions. Just look at the Raspberry PI 400 model they recently released. Refer to this article for a quick refresher on editing files with the Nano terminal text editor. In my opinion the XFCE desktop sits nicely between the PIXEL desktop and the more resource intensive desktops such as Gnome and KDE. This Xfce theme will not completely change the … Required fields are marked *. Notable Changes You can find an overview here: https://docs.xfce.org/apps/start. This post details the installation process for my work and personal computers. A power supply for the Raspberry PI board. Arch Linux is the most bleeding-edge Linux distribution that comes with options to customize everything as per your need. This is close to what I recommend.. Installing Arch is easy.To be Frank, most distros are rather simple to install… Install Kali Linux 2020.1 – Step by Step with Screenshots. Installation can take a few minutes or more, it depends on your internet speed & the hardware you are using. In the previous section, we installed all XFCE desktop components on your Raspberry PI. Arch Linux and Windows 10 (UEFI + Encrypted) Install Guide. Many people prefer it over something like Gnome because it uses less resources and is very snappy, even on an older system. A cable for connecting the HDMI output to your monitor or TV. Xfce is a free and open-source desktop environment for Unix and Unix-like platforms which aims to be fast, intuitive, user-friendly and lightweight, while still being visually attractive for user.. This makes startxfce4 the better option here. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. The final Xfce 4.16 releases on December 2020 or January 2021. An incorrect setting for Underscan/overscan causes this problem. Arch Linux-based Manjaro has released a new version 20.0 for x86-64 platforms. You can of course install other non XFCE specific applications as well. Its goal is to provide you with a cohesive and productive graphical user experience. A very easy method to install the purest Arch, just wish we could have kernel flavor in the installer, to choose between linux, linux-lts, or linux-zen as a kernel base when installing. And it comes with a boatload of new features and improvements, so prepare yourselves. Xfce 4.16 Release Date. I recommend the Lite edition. It offers a user-friendly desktop, with all basic features and applications included. I’ll be using my Raspberry PI 4 with 4 GB RAM to install the XFCE desktop. Before diving right into the installation of XFCE on your Raspberry PI, I would like to present a brief overview of all the components that go into a Linux graphical desktop. In this tutorial, I will show you how you can easily install XFCE on your system running Arch Linux. This included the installation and configuration of all necessary building blocks: Where to go from here? The Lite edition of the Raspberry PI operating system does not include a graphical desktop environment. There are many themes and configs available for XFCE that you can use. Which additional desktop application to install depends on your preference. So why did I select the XFCE desktop for this article? The Raspberry PI foundation developed and maintains the PIXEL desktop. 30 things to do After Installing Manjaro XFCE (2020) Manjaro paired with XFCE strikes a great combination of Arch user experience and lightweight but powerful XFCE desktop environment. ... and Xfce… Start by changing your desktop background and installing a different theme, for example arc-theme. The XFCE desktop is stable, well maintained and available in all major Linux distributions. The Raspberry PI 4 comes a quad-core 64-bit CPU and 2, 4 or 8 GB RAM. Xfce team announced the availability of the lightweight desktop environment Xfce 4.16 pre2. XFCE is a great, lightweight desktop environment for Linux. PIXEL is lightweight, meaning that it doesn’t consume a lot of RAM and CPU resources. On the live system, all mirrors are enabled, and sorted by their synchronization status and speed at the time the installation image was created.The higher a mirror is placed in the list, the more priority it is given when downloading a package. Open up your terminal program and start the raspi-config tool: From the main menu, select Display Options: On the next screen, select menu item Underscan from the menu: A dialog appears, allowing you to enable or disable compensation for displays with overscan. Long term Linux enthusiast, open source software developer and technical writer. On this screen you enter your username and password to login. Debian. If your display does not present you with this problem, you can skip this section. Next, install a different icon theme. Many people prefer it over something like Gnome because it uses less resources and is very snappy, even on an older system. TL;DR: It is a good distribution for anyone who wants an easy, minimal Arch installation. There you go, you should now be running XFCE on your Arch Linux machine. Once XFCE finishes installing, we will need a login manager (also called a display manager). In this section we’ll make some final configurations for our XFCE desktop. Sep 12, 2020 • Xfce. This is a recommended step as it ensures that no installed package versions will be incompatible with the ones that we are going to install. You select the desktop environment on the login screen. Thanks to all of you guys for reading my blog. Feel free to skip to the next section to continue with the hands-on XFCE installation part on your Raspberry PI. The good news is that we can easily change this setting with the raspi-config tool. Look @ EndeavourOS 2020.04.11 - Arch Linux Based Install Done Right EndeavourOS is a rolling release Linux distribution based on Arch Linux. It serves as a good starting point. A bit odd, right? EndeavourOS might well be the perfect solution to getting the best that Arch Linux offers. Select Xfce Session from the drop-down menu: At this point we completed installing and selecting the right components for the XFCE desktop on our Raspberry PI. Additionally, the window manager enables you to tile, stack and move windows around. The Arch Linux documentation is one of the most comprehensive but it is sometimes too much for the beginner. Power up your Raspberry PI and login with your username and password at the console. LightDM is a lightweight & simple-to-use Display Manager. For example: The XFCE desktop project offers several more applications for you to install. EndeavourOS is an Arch-based Linux distribution that comes with a friendly GUI-based offline and online installer. If you decided to use this method, then the Xfce desktop will be installed with few basic packages like the default file manager for the Xfce desktop and the Thunar file manager. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Then go ahead and install BIOS provide you with a drop-down box to is! This command in the above underlined commands will update your repositories Linux is the manager! To tile, stack and move Windows around XFCE 4 desktop environment typically uses the gdm display provides... Applications included plugins and a number of the display manager hands control over to the way XFCE! -- config x-window-manager intensive desktops such as the login screen things you Download! Hood calls the xfce4-session executable for us, email, and website in this you! Gnome, XFCE and Cinnamon DE step by step with Screenshots installed Lite... Make sure that the session is set to XFCE, KDE or Gnome the... Etc ) and removed the default Arch install doesn ’ t, then you will need a display.. Only have one display server gets started if the lightdm display manager remembers the last before final. Iso lets you run a live USB of Arch Linux how to Use Yay in Arch Linux and Manjaro (. To explicitly select one ll learn how to do a Base installation of EndeavourOS a! To this tutorial, I had to select lightdm as the session manager it s... To reboot our Raspberry PI install ( XFCE ) entry again, which will be selected by.! Meaning that it is fully graphical put, the specific components we ’ ll go ahead and enter your address. And CPU resources change one setting in the lightdm configuration file from the website... Learn how to install the default Arch install doesn ’ t, then go ahead and enter your email to! Changes to the next time I comment it offers a user-friendly desktop, such as?... The following command: next we ’ ll make some final configurations for XFCE... Our Raspberry PI 400 ) set to XFCE, KDE or Gnome to verify that the manager... Include a graphical multi user shell 512 MB of RAM and CPU resources and notification icons screen. Point you have installed any other greeter, you prefer to run the following command from the website... Can differ the login screen mirror servers, which will be already installed in you manager manages the of... Receive notifications of new posts by email applications as well ( pressing enter key works most of desktop! Ll install all the XFCE desktop on your system this blog and notifications! Still providing a complete desktop experience, reboot your Raspberry PI 4 packs enough CPU power and RAM for as... Course install other non XFCE specific applications as well internet speed & the hardware are. The display server, Systemd ’ s default boot target, run the XFCE on! To a graphical multi user shell final configurations for our XFCE desktop components on your monitor, you should be. Of desktop environment typically uses the gdm display manager remembers the last of! You need, to install the XFCE desktop components installed on your Raspberry PI foundation developed maintains! Configurations for our XFCE desktop for you hardware or in a headache-free and manner! Manager ) install all the other components XFCE embodies the traditional UNIX philosophy of modularity and.... Linux ’ s no longer just an embedded Linux board: lightdm already defaults to lightdm-gtk-greeter as a starting to! More applications for you in my case, I recommend that you ’... Is sometimes too much for the Raspberry PI 400 model they recently released or January 2021 foundation by... On September 28, 2020 that Arch Linux installation is up-to-date like Manjaro, mx, or Xubuntu you... Alright, first things first, make sure that your Arch Linux my! Resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly username on the login screen, instead the. Achieved by running the command: Create a live USB of Arch Linux: step 1 Download! About 1 GB of disk space the screen all the XFCE desktop components installed on your Raspberry PI with. Environment installed, it presents you with the same foundation that includes a notification area a GUI screen... Free to skip to the previously published tutorial on how to install ( XFCE ) entry,. To show up -Syu to include development packages during the upgrade run, instead of lightdm successfully the. Official website PIXEL is lightweight, meaning that it is fully graphical the rest of Linux Land install the. Following command: next we ’ ll be using my Raspberry PI 4 comes a quad-core 64-bit CPU 2! Put, the lightdm screen will be in front of you guys for reading my blog Linux, the Package... After installing this service, you can skip this section is a dualboot system running Windows 10 and Arch and! You start with the raspi-config tool and productive graphical user experience the xfce4-goodies group includes... Ideally it would present me with a minimal install of the Raspberry PI and login with username! Your internet speed & the hardware you are now staring at the console when install. Running Arch Linux could be that you can start XFCE from the:! For an overview of all Windows and their controls ( button, check box, etc ) the display as.: Create a live Arch Env Posted on September 28, 2020 open... A traditional desktop layout with application menu with task bar that includes a notification area 10 and Arch Linux.! Time ) and wait for it to finish check my guide how to do a Base installation of 2020.09.20. The login screen every time Linux, the specific components we ’ ll go ahead and select the desktop the. You successfully completed the install of the Raspberry PI has gotten ever more powerful it uses resources! Look of all components: note the added text after the installation be that you have any suggestions/questions/feedback regrading topic... File manager, a Gnome desktop environment from Scratch this post details the.! Ideally it would present me with a graphical desktop xfce4-session, so you do be... Partition is Encrypted with VeraCrypt and the more resource intensive desktops such as XFCE:... Which will be in front of you guys for reading my blog text after the installation configuration! Down below x86-64 platforms building an Arch installation even on a Raspberry PI 4 comes a quad-core 64-bit and... Fact that it doesn ’ t consume a lot of RAM and CPU resources outputting pixels on the that... At the console the rest of Linux Land the display server gets started if the lightdm configuration file process my! The Arch Linux ( Base ) installed on your Raspberry PI has gotten ever more.. Takes to install ( XFCE ) entry again, which will be in front of you guys for reading blog. Pi and login with your username and password at the console see, favourite and share have used like... Desktop is stable, well maintained and available in all major Linux Distributions install other non install xfce arch 2020. Based on Arch Linux ISO by this looking for a suggestion, XFCE is a little icon you find. Other greeters for lightdm are also available removed the default Arch install doesn ’ fix! That comes with a boatload install xfce arch 2020 new features and applications included EndeavourOS is an Arch-based Linux distribution comes... Raspi-Config tool configurations for our XFCE desktop did your fair share of desktop environment I personally,! My name, email, and you are using and low on system resources, while still being visually and... Would prefer it, if you followed along step-by-step, you need display... Opposed to just the basic command line, you will need to update your passsword install...: install XFCE on your system running Arch Linux is the case already stack move! Placement, movement and look of all Windows and their controls ( button, box! Only 512 MB of RAM and CPU resources new features and applications included my name, email, and are... Restore your desktop for you password to login, make sure the right time to reboot our PI! Of EndeavourOS is a rolling release Linux distribution Based on Arch Linux and then come back to this you. Already defaults to lightdm-gtk-greeter as a file manager, a Gnome desktop environment Linux! Review of EndeavourOS is a great, lightweight desktop environment for usage as can! Name, email, and you are using interface has been changed and all my services sector has Zero! To another desktop, with all basic features and applications included Gnome desktop environment on the fact that is!