1. 1:1). We can note two things in this interpretation of 3 John 2. Prosperity teachers claim the word is all about prosperity which reveals their lack of knowledge of New Testament Greek. "For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also..." What comes next? that is fine, but there is no suggestion of financial well-being in the Greek. Yet the New Testament quite clearly promises us trials and hardships in order to equip us with what we need for the kingdom of God! Here is how Paul finishes his sentence, here is the other vital thing 'granted to us,' Likewise, they have what we would call the body of the letter, and they end with a conventional closing: “All who are with me send greetings to you. The New Testament Epistles are a modification of letter writing conventions of the Greek and Roman cultures of the New Testament era. For John, a Christian who believed in the primacy of the spiritual, no picture of welfare was complete unless it included a person’s soul as well as body. Beloved, I wish — Or, I pray, as ευχομαι is translated by Beza, Estius, Erasmus, Schmidius, Doddridge, and others.Above all things — Or, with respect to all things, as περι παντων rather signifies; that thou mayest prosper and be in health — Namely, of body; even as, I doubt not, thy soul prospereth — In faith, love, and every virtue. Again, it is quite silly to say that God would have us all be abundantly well off whether financially or with regard to good health, since we see so many great biblical characters, full of faith, who were no strangers to illness nor trial - including the apostle Paul. But, let us close by considering what Paul told the Philippians. Thank you for your help. (Philippians 1: 29). No! The writer is instead responding to the questions or topics that have been directed to him. But this is in the Good Shepherd chapter; Jesus is warning about the activities of false shepherds who do not really care about the sheep but only about themselves, then in verse 9, He shows how He brings Eternal Life, "I am the door. Furthermore, the exact form in which John casts his prayer or wish was thoroughly conventional even in the surrounding pagan culture. The other is that this interpretation implies that the wish that the writer of the epistle expresses has the force of a promise from God. We need to approach this verse and the common “prosperity” interpretation that the Copelands offer in light of the literary form (or genre) of 3 John, which is epistle. God refused to heal him of his 'thorn in the flesh' because His (God's) grace was sufficient for him, moreover, such grace (Paul was told) is made 'perfect in weakness'! Interpreting the wish or prayer of 3 John 2 as a promise of “health and wealth” is not in line with what we know about salutations in epistles or, for that matter, with the general tenor of New Testament teaching that a mark of true spirituality is suffering (e.g., Rom. I often begin an e-mail with the statement, “I hope that this communiqué finds you doing well.” If I find that too understated for a given recipient, I might write, “I hope that this finds you and yours flourishing in every way.” Are these promises? In short, an epistolary salutation is just that—a salutation in which one of the conventional niceties is for the sender to express a desire for the well-being of the recipient. 'But also to be healthy and wealthy??' John hopes that his friend’s external circumstances might match his spiritual health, which according to the very next verse is good, and something that others had reported to John earlier: “For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth” (3John3). One is that it construes the statement “even as” in a cause and effect way: spiritual prosperity will produce financial prosperity. John 3:2, NASB : "this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, 'Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.'" That is the meaning of the verse, as one commentator concludes, “The author’s wish for the general well-being of his friend was a customary concern in Hellenistic [i.e., Greek and Roman] letters and constitutes no basis for a ‘right to prosperity’ among Christians.”4. σοῦ πρὸς αὐτὸν, the mother of Jesus saith to him, They have no, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers. Do I Drink Virtuously? In Ephesians1:3, for example, Paul expresses his desire that God be blessed because he is grateful to God: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing.” Paul, as the writer, states what we, too, are thankful for as readers. Indeed, if John the Apostle expresses his wish that the elder might prosper "in all things" does not this remark itself show that this is not being confined to ones financial life? She writes, “God’s plan is for us to grow financially as we grow spiritually.” The reason: God “knows it is dangerous to put great wealth into the hands of someone who is too spiritually immature to handle it.” She, too, interprets John’s wish as a divine promise: “God wants us to increase financially at the same rate we increase spiritually.”3. Understanding the New Testament Epistles. A Christian Perspective, Bespoke Religiosity and the Rise of the Nones: a review of Strange Rites: New Religions for a Godless World by Tara Isabella Burton, Perspective Matters: Looking “At” vs. John 3:3 Parallel Verses [ See commentary ]John 3:3, NIV: "Jesus replied, 'Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. 3 John 1:2-4. They even occasionally quote those famous words in Genesis, 'Let there be Light.' Second, following the body or doctrinal section of a New Testament Epistle, we typically find a section of moral commands that goes by the Greek word paraenesis, which means “exhortations.” This section might contain groupings of proverbs, lists of vices and virtues, catalogs of commands about what to avoid and what to practice, or exhortations about a single moral topic. If we put the components of John’s well-wishes together, they add up to a picture of complete or total well-being. Grace be with you all” (Titus 3:15). The letters in these cultures typically included three elements: an opening salutation, which included the sender’s name, the addressee, and a greeting; the body of the letter in which the main topics were stated and elaborated; and the closing, which included additional greetings and final wishes. This teaching is so odd and so decidedly unsciptural that it might be considered amazing that any would ever listen to it, unfortunately however, many who are not well grounded in the Word of God do listen to it! Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good” (Rom.12:9).