Dink – the Victorian term for giving someone a lift on their bike as in ‘I’ll give you a dink’. An invitation to join in. She questioned ..”what is this doof, doof, doof?.. sausages, exist, whereas in Australia shrimps don’t… they’re known as prawns! Frog and Toad/= The road. When you tell someone to get "onya bike," even if they're trying to excuse themselves with well-concocted verse, you bid them to "tell your story walkin'.". https://thetraveltart.com/funny-australian-slang-words-expressions-colloquialisms/, Some expressions to learn going to Australia – Alguns expresses para appender into para Australia – Tayane Australia 2019, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_cake, Choosing a Hostel for your Bucks and Stag Do, Beautiful, Underrated Cities in Australia, Top 8 reasons to Visit Broome, Western Australia. Dust Bunnies/balls of fluff that collect, under beds, but especially on newly fitted carpets. The Best Australian Slang Phrases The Rest of the World Should Know; Share. 23. An idiot. Someone’s just kind of like a moron people don’t really like. Cactus is used for dead. Sad it’s hardly used any more! 3. ‘Knocked up’ means pregnant – “who do you reckon knocked up Bob’s daughter?”. Already knew most of these but you could me with a few, What about the word Chockers …full up or the road is completely filled with cars, chuck a blocky- similiar to a U-ie except wider going round a block, also used when searching for a house or place, Are you all actually Australian With Mondly, you’ll get more every day! The name became a generalization for any such device. A six-pack has evolved to mean anyone with fit abdomens, but long ago the six-pack was (and still is) a group of beers. If we’ve missed any please free to leave a comment below. Sanger = Sandwich I use a lot of these – and I have my own list too. Stuffed= pregnant Very very happy. Or beer if you are at the pub. For example: ‘This three legged table is really wonky!’. How about “like a bull at a gate” – a bit wild, out of control, rushed. My favourite one on the first list of words would have be #38. I think the video below perfectly illustrates this unique way of speaking Australian! If you restaurant a lot and that is if you want to have your food at your house you would ask for it for takeaway. Those can be added too if they are Aussi slang. Tone is very important with this kind of language it’s mainly used as banter with a bit of wrestling, It was now it covers all the cheap nasty stuff in the casks and bottles. What does that mean? Going off – means full on partying or Angry/pissed off, hahaha had a convo with a friend and he got so confused, Good on ya mate for completing the challenge. Gnarly = really awsome or something you really like ” 92 Stubby Holder – Used so your hands don’t get cold when holding your beer!” Pissed off can also mean there just really annoyed, not just drunk, Tinny may be a area or state saying, like grouse in Victoria meaning great. Perhaps due to our shared British heritage and hearing these terms on TV. “Are you having a go at me? Don’t think i would be brave enough to shove a parrot down there!! Have you got a Big Question you'd like us to answer? Seven pints in the gallon – someone who is not all there Other phrases I’ve heard. If someone is taking a piss, they are being made fun of. Copied link. A red haired person. Flick the bails – lets call it a day pushie or pushbike It's a way to invite someone to your house for lunch, where you throw a shrimp (or a "snag," that's a sausage) on the barbie. Someone that is on government benefits that doesn’t bother looking for work. You gotta know the context! Dunny budgie – blowflies. At other times they’ll just add a different vowel instead of the ‘o’. As well as carked it. Eventually, this negative term spread to media and via word-of-mouth. It's when it's 50-50 odds that whatever decision you make will not likely affect the outcome of the situation. And yep heard most of these. to us shrimp are really small prawns or that you are very short. Barker’s Eggs/= Dog’s droppings that have turned white in the sun on lawns, or anywhere. Sick = same as gnarly Root -to root is to have sex. Was made famous by Steve Irwin. That’s as Aussie as a meat pie! A type of lottery ticket that has to be ‘scratched’ to find out if you have won on the spot. A True Blue sheila looked at her underwear admiringly and asked: You can use it to refer to people who have literally died, however it’s pretty crude and tasteless and could be offensive depending on who you’re talking to and the context, so to be safe I’d stick to inanimate objects. Usually an unplanned pregnancy. A look, a brief inspection. Joining the police was called “Taking the shilling”. Often used as “you beauty!”. Stock. Dog’s eye wiv Dead ‘Orse/=Beef/Meat Pie with Tomarda sauce Different to "having a frog in your throat," which means having a sore throat. Means you don't really care about somebody. Or ‘Yes, I’ll take care of it’. Wear check etcher longer ray?” DAKS is a holder of 3 Royal Warrants; representing a long standing relationship with the Royal Family and the outstanding quality of its products. Required fields are marked *, Pingback: Things to Know About Oz before Your First Australian Travel Adventure, Pingback: Bees in My Head pt. 1. If Black Friday is such a financial benefit, why is it called Black Friday? Matt, i’m Australian, thank you very much! ?” The Australian slang word “seppo” has derived from its predecessor “septic tank” or “yank” and is rarely used by the young people in Aussie. They're not the "full quid." A total idiot or a bit crazy. Or for the Aussie slang words you coulda putt in Winfield Blue is a brand. Haven’t heard anyone use rooted as tired before. His sayings were never ending. and just in case i got one wrong hahahahaha D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F Crikey people! I lived in Queensland for a couple years in the 1980s, loved it! They soon realized it was Buckley, who was given a pardon and used as a peacemaker between whites and blacks. !” Or “You playin’ wit(h) me? Bumbag=fannipack Such was the hard life that all they wanted was an equitable suck. Hey just a couple more to add to your list you have some rippers on there ‘Got’- past tense of get. “Putting the blacksmith on ya”. Just click on this to one of his videos. And stubby holder – it bloody keeps my hands warm in winter from a cold can and keeps my can cool in summer so my hands dont warm up the beer. Hard to remember appropriate feminine slang If you find yourself in a bit of an argument and you begin to act unreasonably you might be told to “pull ya head in“, if however you’re right (stubborn) and you really want the other person to believe what you’re saying you can say “fair dinkum mate“. James Clarke, I’m Aussie, born and raised. Cactus? These are favorite ways Aussies disparage those who live elsewhere. An old person that travels around Australia. Drunk straight from the bladder – which you can use as a pillow afterwards. It can also be an insult though. got him in the jazts crakers A Yank might think they’re all from Oz, but many are from the UK. For example, a rack of lamb. Australians don't barter with lobsters and pineapples, but most have had at least one friend ring them up (or hit them up at the pub) to lend a lobster or a pineapple. Thank you so much for sharing such nice article with us. Like all lingo’s It fades-away eventually, but it’s fun trying to keep it circulating as long as possible. Someone that plays music or an instrument. Shortened term for ‘Bundaberg’, a city located in Queensland that houses the best rum distillery in the world. A person that wears ugg boots and flannel, loves loud cars and rock music. So don’t be disappointed if you get to an international airport, and we aren’t all going ‘She’ll be right mate’… Not all of us use these words! I guess it depends on ur age . Not really a handkerchief at all, but using your hands to delicately drain the snot from your nose. Which really isn’t much different from the Ranching community I grew up in. Im from a small rural outback town in Australia. A discount for family and friends. See also: a missing at sea former Australian Prime Minister. When you wake up and just say fug it. choof Means it’s fucked. Bloody tyres rooted etc. Some of the slang terms are also only used in certain parts of Australia and not others. togs – swimwear ‘Oh man, I got smashed last night and now I feel crook!’. Can also be "bonza" or "beaut.". Good onya. Not a pair of undies that go up your bum. In a regression to stereotype, Paul Hogan introduced the world to this phrase and in the process invited countless tourists to come over. Now, whether you want to move to the Australian paradise, spend a holiday there to visit the Irwin family’s Australia Zoo, or just learn the Australian slang because you feel like spicing up your English vocabulary, there are a few things you need to remember: Let’s start with the basics: core Australian slang vocabulary. Worried that something isn’t going to plan? 6. A way to describe someone that is really big or muscular.