A careless talker destroys himself. So of course when circumstances don’t turn out how I’d hoped I become discouraged and frustrated. It would be very difficult to turn someone away. Those are good reflections and questions, and I must add, difficult questions. Unbelief produced irrationality. God is holy and just, but he is also “slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty” (v 18). And God who is holy has judgment stored for a rebellious people. We are the crown of His creation and He created us out of love so that we could be in relationship with Him. They turned against Moses, Caleb and Joshua in their fear and anger, wanting to replace their leader and to kill the two spies. Maybe you’ve prayed time and time again for God to heal your loved one. We communicate with God through our prayer life. Now it is his time to censure these Israelites, “How long will this people despise me? I wish my children were like my friend’s children. In spite of the people grumbling against him and threatening to replace him with a new leader, he pleaded to God to forgive them. So we see that the proverb stands true in this case; that even with God you should be careful what you wish for. No, his plea is based on two things: firstly, on “the greatness of your steadfast love, just as you have forgiven this people, from Egypt until now”; and secondly, on the glory and honor of God’s name, because the nations will surely think that God was not powerful enough to bring Israel to the Promised Land. What are you to do to be pardoned by God for your rebellion? In contrast, Caleb’s faith and trust in God’s word produced genuine courage. 2. “Ten-Fold” Consequences Do we feel forsaken by the God who created us? 4 No matter how much a lazy person may want something, he will never get it. Mediation after Getting the Wish. It’s as if he doesn’t get tired or bored with the chase. The title of this section of Scripture in many versions of the Bible says something about prayer. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is one that Amanda read for us earlier…”For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Be careful what you. This is my first time preaching to a congregation, the only other preaching experience I have was in seminary school where I preached to a class of at most 15 other students. There is purpose and reason for going to their home. They feared for their wives and children that they will be slaves in Canaan. Jesus promises us that if we knock on the door it will be opened to us. A person who is not regenerated by the Spirit is unable and unwilling to come to God; for him, the Gospel is only for fools! As Jesus said, the Holy Spirit’s act of giving a new heart to a person is hidden from us, yet we see the result of his work: faith and repentance (John 3:8). Each of these verbs requires something of us. pray for. One where we trust Him with childlike faith. Do you fear that your women and children will be slaves in Canaan? Only when we are in eternity. Today, we will dwell on the theme, “Be Careful What You Wish For”: 1. Then you shall go back in the direction of the Red Sea where you started your march. But He does promise us that if we seek Him we will find Him. The people were not allowed to enter the land, but died in the wilderness, while the ten spies were sentenced to die immediately. You are in touch with power. Worse, they were so angry at Caleb and Joshua that they wanted to stone them to death, and even worse, they wanted to replace Moses with a new leader of their choosing. This gives me comfort in times when it doesn’t seem that my prayers are answered in a way I’d like. If this is true then the problem is that we don’t always view what we have with God’s best for us. It was a direct challenge to God and his promise to give them the land. These 3 verbs each suggest a different meaning and the manner in which we interact with God may vary depending on the season of life we are in. Proud member However, the scouts were not unanimous in their report. We claim that God works everything for our good, but we easily forget that promise when we run into serious marital, financial or medical difficulties. (, The Good News Translation - The Holy Bible Online, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. What to do wit’ it, ’cause it might just GREAT STUDY LESSON. In your rebellion, God might give you over to your worldly desires, and harden your hearts (Rom 1:28). For each day that the twelve spies were in the land, the people were to spend a year in the desert as punishment for their rebellion in order that they may know that God was not pleased with them (v 34). This is why all creation is bound to die, some sooner than later. If you refuse good advice, you are asking for trouble; follow it and you are safe. We cannot be turned away by God. I have limited understanding but God promises the Holy Spirit to me. Some people pretend to be rich, but have nothing. Is there hope for unbelieving and rebellious people like us? When we go to Him with heartfelt concerns, worries, anxieties, or troubles we are showing that we believe He cares. either out of fear or out of hope. I have to tell you that you are all a first for me. As well, we ask for his forgiveness based on his holiness and righteousness, not because of our own good works. And wrapped into this we find Jesus telling us in verse 7 to ask, seek, and knock. Or maybe there was something you desperately wanted and so you prayed that God would grant your deepest desires. “Be careful what you wish for.” God judges covetousness and grumbling. We grumble about our homes, our jobs, our children, our homework, our chores, our friends. It is an honor and a real pleasure to be standing in front of you this morning. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you. A hard worker will get everything he wants. They wished that they would just go back to the wilderness and to Egypt and die there. If he were to destroy the whole world today, would he be justified? We believe God can change the hearts of kings, but we easily give up on stubborn family and friends who reject Christ. The people had an unbelieving spirit, producing rebellion. Addiction to alcohol, drugs, gambling and sex have long-term, sometimes even lifetime, consequences. But even better than this, the faith and repentance that God requires of you, he also gives. Even if Canaan’s walls were massive, they were puny compared with the wind and the sea which God controls. August 14, 2011 The majority report of ten of the scouts painted a gloomy picture of well-fortified cities inhabited by powerful, giant warriors. Instead, he granted only partial forgiveness and imposed partial judgment on the people for their rebellion. Right up to his ascension, his disciples seem to be expecting the restoration of the kingdom of Israel by a king who would drive out the Roman armies (Acts 1:6). We don’t have the energy or strength to get up and go but we can ask. He did it once before, not hesitating to destroy the whole human race and restarting mankind with Noah. They tried to convince the people not to rebel against the Lord, but to be courageous and obey, for God will not protect the Canaanites. Come back on you ten-fold. Why forty years? Luke is not saying we will receive all that we want, whenever we ask for it but we are promised that God’s Spirit will always be with us as believers. Without the intercession by Moses, none of the Israelites would have had a second chance.