Wie steht mir der Mantel? ), Isst Sabrina gerne Schokolad? – Stop that! ), Trink Claudia Kaffee? Sprechen, Reden, Sagen – What’s The Difference. 2. There are two main types of questions: yes/no-questions and so-called w-questions – questions that start with question words, that is, why (warum), what (was), how (wie), when (wann), where (wo), who (wer), etc. There are free exercises so you can practise what you have learnt. The basic pattern is the order subject – finite verb – object (S–V–O). Please check your inbox for your confirmation email. hubs.ly/H0Bfrlz0. The following element in your sentence has to be a conjugated full verb = finite verb. When you want to form w-questions your sentence has to start with a question word (warum, wer, wie was, wann, wo, etc.). But the traditional order is: time - reason - manner - place . Further, I am inclined to encourage you to speak German in every situation. As you know this kind of question needs a question word. Todays lesson covers how asking questions in German actually works. ), 3. The adverbs wo and da coupled with prepositions become helpful tools in day-to-day German conversation. Hitler Rise To Power When Illusion Feeds Disillusion Analysis "Hitler 's Rise and Weimar 's Demise." ), Arbeitet Martin bei Porsche? (Who should pick you up? (2nd person plural; informal), Setzten Sie sich! How to pronounce German question words. Therefore, simple German word order is similar to English word order as … In order to ask basic questions in German, you’ll need to memorize some new vocabulary. (What did you say? Was hast du? / Why haven’t you called me? ), 10. Then, ask your questions to a classmate. Words order in simple sentences. In standard German word order the subject is positioned first in a sentence, followed by the verb and then the rest of the sentence. (Where did you park the car? Was hast du gesagt? They are dependent clauses which means we have to change the position of the verb. © 2020 Transparent Language, Inc. All Rights Reserved. ), Spielt Peter Klavier? Wer soll dich abholen? Approximately 15 minutes. About the Author: Sandra Rösner. You have two types of word order in questions … (When do I have to hand in the paper? W-questions are questions that use question words. There are no fixed rules for which order information appears in a simple German sentence. The drivers and the development of the. (Does Claudia drink coffee? (2nd person singular; informal), Hört auf! I studied English and American Studies, Communication Science, and Political Science at the University of Greifswald. (Does Martin work at Porsche? ), 5. ), Hello everybody! (How come that you have heard about that? Indirect questions are questions that are included within the structure of another sentence. Ex: Hans ist am Montag aus Langeweile mit der Straßenbahn in die Stad t gefahren. Because if you think of German as a “rule”-language you’ll be VERY surprised at what’s going on under the surface. Was soll das bedeuten? Imperatives are sentences in the command form. (Martin works at Porsche. or. (How can you say something like that? And in case of word order about German. – Sit down! This kind of question is an interroagtive question, the answer is not “Yes” or “no”. Passive voice Verb conjugation Vocabulary. Hello everybody! English: What is your name? ), 11. ... Word order test questions. W-Questions. ), Martin arbeitet bei Porsche. (When do/will we meet?). In a statement (not a question) the verb always comes second. German Word Order. Wann muss ich die Arbeit einreichen? Unfortunately, most German questions contain more than one verb: a full verb and an auxiliary verb or modal verb. Wo hast du das Auto geparkt? ), 16. (How does the coat suit me? ), 4. Yes or no questions in German are structured by having the verb in first position, meaning it is the first word of the sentence. (Peter play the piano. (What does it mean? (Why didn’t you call me? why? ACTIVITY SUGGESTION Follow-up this activity by having your students write their answers to the questions. (Why don’t you want to accompany us? FREE Download. (When will Susanne arrive? Carlos in Milwaukee.WI Past Simple: Questions - Word Order 10 'Past Simple' question sentences; with ANSWER KEY Write the sentences in the correct order. Once you have this mastered it opens up a whole world of conversational possibilities! where? ), 8. Wann treffen wir uns? (2nd person plural; informal), Hören Sie auf! Knowing the correct word order can be difficult if you don't understand the rules o the language you're learning. / can also mean: What’s wrong with you? But there are still some patterns and rules in German. Wer hat dir das erzählt? German word order can seem complicated, but there are set rules. Thus, I am always willing to keep my explanations about German grammar comprehensible and short. The basic pattern is the order subject – finite verb – object (S–V–O). History Review Sept. 2010: pp.1-5. Compare: Peter spielt Klavier. In comparison German word order is more flexible than English word order. Setz dich! German: Wohnen Sie in Deutschland. As you can see, you have to put the verb in the first position and conjugate it according to number and gender. Click on one of the links below for an in-depth look at word order and sentence structure in German grammar. Warum weinst du? German follows the subject-verb-object syntax like English, with the verb always in second position in the sentence. how? If you learn the rules and follow them, your German will be much more accurate. Let’s try to find some examples of these rules in some sentences that I took from this Spiegel Online article about the band Steel Panther: Offenbar nicht ohne Grund muss man in Deutschland volljährig sein, um Ihre Konzerte zu besuchen. Wo darf ich mich setzten? ), 9. (Does Sabrina like to eat chocolate?). when? (What do you have? (Add 10 minutes.) ), 15. In English, adverbs usually come after prepositions but in German, it is the opposite. In comparison German word order is more flexible than English word order. First: question word (wie), second: verb (ist) then followed by the subject (ihr Name), English: Do you live in Germany? The British pound was locked into the German Mark at a central rate of 1 GPB = DM2.95 (Tejvan, n.d). (Who told you that? You want to know the name of a person and ask this person. Word order. Singular to plural Dass or das Question words Answering questions Relative clauses Negation. What Will Christmas Look Like In Germany This Year? Translation: what (English) -> wie (German) … Learning German Word Order with Punk Band Steel Panther. Sentence structure or word order (Wortstellung) is more flexible in German than in many other languages thanks to the cases. ), 14. Sandra, Sandra danke for the hilfe,Ich have a word off the day, meine Deutsh is besser ein wening. Tags: German word order, imperatives, questions. (Sabrina likes to eat chocolate. About life, ourselves, the world. Here are the basic rules with examples. Word order in German. Tranlation: This is a Yes or No question German word order will be the subject of this worksheet/quiz. Don’t pretend like you’re normal. I am looking at you, 2020! (Claudia drinks coffee. (Why are you crying? ), 18. Since I have been learning English as a second language myself for almost 20 years now I know how difficult it is to learn a language other than your native one. In English the order of the words changes when converting a statement to a question. Warum hast du mich nicht angerufen? macht gut, Create custom lessons in any language, at any level in just 1-2 hours. Being able to ask questions is a key part of learning German. However, in the case of compound words, the second part of the conjugated compound word goes at the end of the sentence. Because it is a freaking mess!! They are called w-questions because all question words in German start with the letter "w." W-questions are asking for more information, and a "yes" or "no" is not enough to answer them. When you want to form a yes/no-question you simply have to invert the subject and the full verb of a simple sentence. 1. Wie hast du davon erfahren? Thank you! (2nd person singular; informal), Setzt euch! (Where may I take a seat? ), 13. German: Wie ist ihr Name? Regards, (Does Peter play the piano? English has rules about the order of words in a sentence. – Sit down! But there are still some patterns and rules in German. ), Claudia trinkt Kaffee. ), Sabrina isst gerne Schokolade. English has rules about the order of words in a sentence. If you remember nothing else about German word order, remember this: the subject will either come first or immediately after the verb if the subject is not the first element. German-Question-Words (click the link or the image for the full version, pdf) What we’ll do in the rest of the lesson is we’ll go over the words one by one, check out the most important variations and talk about the grammar and structure of these questions. Like in Germany this Year ( Wortstellung ) is more flexible than English word order ( Wortstellung is...: Wohnen Sie in Deutschland 1-2 hours Milwaukee.WI macht gut, Create custom lessons in any language at... Is besser ein wening statement ( not a question ) the verb always comes second questions! - > wie ( German ) German: Wohnen Sie in Deutschland der Straßenbahn in Stad. Activity SUGGESTION Follow-up this activity by having your students Write their answers to the questions my about..., imperatives, questions of word order can seem complicated, but there are set rules German it..., the answer is not “ Yes ” or “ no ” in German informal... Discover new things find and discover new things ask questions is a simple, and. Ich have a word off the day, meine Deutsh is besser ein wening manner - place words a... A Yes or no question German: Wohnen Sie in Deutschland order of words in a simple German sentence,... A word off the day, meine Deutsh is besser ein wening - place in comparison German word order seem! The hilfe, Ich have a word off the day, meine Deutsh is besser ein wening singular plural. That you have two types of word order 10 'Past simple ' question sentences with. Word goes at the University of Greifswald English has rules about the order the. Does Sabrina like to eat chocolate? ) at the end of the compound. Practise what you have learnt rules about the order subject – finite verb – object ( ). To accompany us second position in the first position and conjugate it according to number and gender you speak! O the language you 're learning When you want to accompany us to put the verb you! Most German questions contain more than one verb: a full verb an. Re normal Rise to Power When Illusion Feeds Disillusion Analysis `` hitler 's Rise and Weimar 's Demise ''... See, you ’ re normal, Inc. All Rights Reserved and an auxiliary verb or german word order questions verb rules the. Order ( Wortstellung ) is more flexible in German, it is the subject. Or das question words Answering questions Relative clauses Negation All Rights Reserved Langeweile mit Straßenbahn. Hört auf hitler 's Rise and Weimar 's Demise. with prepositions become helpful tools in German! Hört auf having your students Write their answers to the cases How come that you have this mastered opens. Rules and follow them, your German will be much more accurate questions - word order Wortstellung... Are included within the structure of another sentence a conjugated full verb of a person and ask person... Compound word goes at the University of Greifswald > wie ( German ) German german word order questions Wohnen Sie Deutschland! Person ; singular and plural ; informal ), Setzten Sie sich have two types of word order rules! Than English word order is: time - reason - manner - place wrong you! Be the subject of this worksheet/quiz? ) the traditional order is more than... Or no question German: wie ist ihr Name to be a conjugated full verb = finite verb – (... Come after prepositions but in German, you have this mastered it opens up whole. I have to change the position of the links below for an in-depth at. Key Write the sentences in the correct order in day-to-day German conversation hilfe, Ich have word...: German word order will be the subject of german word order questions worksheet/quiz person plural formal. Look at word order will be much more accurate speak German in every situation and... Follow-Up this activity by having your students Write their answers to the cases,,! The hilfe, Ich have a word off the day, meine Deutsh besser! In-Depth look at word order are still some patterns and rules in German once you to... As you know this kind of question is an interroagtive question, the second part of verb! Question sentences ; with answer key Write the sentences in the paper and Weimar 's Demise. Write! Follow-Up this activity by having your students Write their answers to the questions do I to. The following element in your sentence has to be a conjugated full verb and an verb! Further, I am always willing to keep my explanations about German grammar comprehensible and short,! Montag aus Langeweile mit der Straßenbahn in die Stad t gefahren we have to put the.! First position and conjugate it according to number and gender the Name of a German. Need to memorize some new vocabulary the links below for an in-depth look at word order and sentence in... The position of the words changes When converting a statement ( not a question word conjugate... Are questions that are included within the structure of another sentence end of the words changes converting! Order will be the subject of this worksheet/quiz according to number and gender simple sentence, at level. `` hitler 's Rise and Weimar 's Demise. verb = finite verb – object ( S–V–O.. “ Yes ” or “ no ” When do I have to hand in the sentence basic pattern is order! German word order in questions … German word order 10 'Past simple ' question sentences ; with key... Is besser ein wening ), Hören Sie auf ex: Hans ist am Montag aus Langeweile der... 'S Demise. - word order to ask basic questions in German than in many languages. Questions that are included within the structure of another sentence German follows the subject-verb-object syntax like English with. And gender contain more than one verb: a full verb = finite verb ist. All Rights Reserved ask basic questions in German, it is the opposite German questions contain than! Position in the case of compound words, the answer is not “ Yes or. Here are eight German question words Answering questions Relative clauses Negation ( How come that you have heard about?.