Your deer may behave differently. It smells amazing, tastes amazing, and every part is edible. Suitable for zones 4-9, bronze fennel (Foeniculum vulgare 'Purpureum') is easily grown from seed. I grew up thinking it was a weed but now it is one of my favorite herbs! One of the most amazing things about bronze fennel is that it is a host plant for swallowtail butterflies. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/eastern_black_swallowtail.htm, Heights Garden Club: Hosting a Successful Tour During a Pandemic Pt 2, Heights Garden Club: Hosting a Successful Tour During a Pandemic Pt 1, An Amazing Xeric and Native Plant Garden in Colorado. Pictures never do it justice, buy some and plant it and you will not be dissapointed! As it turns out Bronze fennel is one of the favorite host plants for Swallowtail butterflies and while in their caterpillar phase they love feasting on fennel. Does Everything Grow Better in My Neighbor's Yard? 03.31.2020 at 1:26 pm. Parsleyworms are so named because they feed on members of the parsley family, Apiaceae, including parsley, dill, carrot, Queen Anne’s lace, and of course, fennel. I am going to make a note to self to collect seeds this fall so I can see about having fennel in more places around our garden.It loves full sun and generally wants to be 3-6 feet tall and 1 -2 feet wide. Bronze fennel is a tall herb with dramatically-colored leaves and stems. Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. What a beautiful addition to any garden! The variety 'Purpureum,' also known as Bronze Fennel, has dark, smoky foliage to a height of 6', an attractive backdrop in perennial borders where it adds a soft, airy, somewhat mysterious look. On Sep 14, 2014, sadele from Sag Harbor, NY (Zone 7a) wrote: Very pretty plant, bees love it. To dry Bronze fennel seeds, cut the entire head of the flower off the plant when its seeds are still immature and green. My local deer herd leaves my zinnias alone unless we've had an extended period of drought when wild food is scarce. The branching feathery fronds crowned by intricate yellow flowers provide valuable nectar and pollen to a wide range of butterflies, ladybugs, lacewings and other beneficial insects. Fennel can be invasive, but like any plant, you can grow it responsibly in your garden and treat it as an annual, if need be. Disclosure: "Book Reviews" books were provided from the publisher unless otherwise stated. Fennel though is common, bronze or green. But these were plants I was hoping to sell, and I didn’t want them to be eaten! It is currently tucked into the corner of the veggie bed surrounded by rosemary.I am sharing it with you today because Shawn came upon the most amazing sight a few days ago. Hurrah! After all, the secret to a good life is... Read more ». Up here in the Northeast, from what I can gather, there is only time for two generations of butterflies to grow and mature in a summer season. Aside from fresh garden salads I haven't found a good use for it and would welcome new ideas. They prefer blooms over the plants. Aside from being edible and beautiful with wisps of anise fragrance wafting through the air, it also happens to be a beneficial plant that functions as a trap crop. They can be found in all stages of life on these host plants, and it’s truly fascinating to revisit your plants each week to see their natural transformation. Bronze fennel is not only ornamental, but serves a purpose in the life cycle of certain butterflies. When it blooms, Bronze fennel flowers are tiny but prolific, and grow on umbels. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! It can be grown in dry to wet soil. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any material found on this blog, without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. The bronze fennel is the perfect host plant to keep your garden active with Eastern Black Swallowtail butterflies. Not yet at least. It tends to reseed when well situated. Now I have seedlings of both and plenty in between, plus greens which are just as likely to overwinter as the bronze. Explorers from Spain in the 1600’s traveled to the new world with seeds from herbs and plants they wanted to grow. That is a great surprise, and as an added bonus, the caterpillars are doing the pruning of the fennel for you . © Laurin Lindsey and Ravenscourt Gardens Blog, 2014 to 2064. What attracted me to this plant was the fine-textured foliage and the dark and rust colors it turns. I found this site Explore Cornell – Home Gardening helpful. Smokey Bronze Fennel makes a stunning addition to flower or herb beds and is a major nectar & pollen host for many butterfly and beneficial insect species. Change ). 20 members have or want this plant for trade. I found the images by Bob Moul on this site very clear. Have two that are a few years old and close to six feet tall. I have all the stages of growth, from eggs to butterfly, photographed (macro) of the black swallowtail butterfly. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Here are some photos from June 20 that show older caterpillars: The first and the last image, I’m pretty sure, are the same caterpillar from different viewpoints.