This is Coco is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and its affiliates. This recipe makes approximately 4oz (1/2 cup) of bug balm. Reapply after swimming or when you sweat a lot. Done! Try this homemade coconut oil bug repellent recipe to make your next summer hiking trip a fun adventure rather than a test of your mosquito-swatting capabilities. This DIY essential oil insect repellent with coconut oil makes a big difference. How to Choose a Coconut Oil, Natural Head Lice Treatment with Coconut Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut Oil Seen as Viable Option to Prevent and Treat Alzheimer's Disease, Doctor Finds Coconut Oil Effective Against Helico Pylori Bacteria, How to Use Coconut Oil for Seasoning Cast Iron Pans and Conditioning Wooden Cutting Boards, Philippines and Singapore Testing Coconut Oil as Possible Treatment for Coronavirus, Doctors in India Rediscover Coconut Oil's 4000 Year History in Natural Medicine – Including Destroying Viruses, Coconut Oil Offers Hope for Antibiotic-Resistant Germs, Easy Homemade Coconut Oil Chocolate Recipes. Esoteric Oils. I’m a mama of three beautiful coconuts and they are the reason I named my website, The Coconut Mama. When possible, use standard biting insect precautions, like wearing long sleeves, pants, socks, and shoes, as well as avoiding the times when insects like mosquitoes are most active (dusk to dawn). Of course, the mosquitoes, bed bugs, ticks, and other nasty, blood-sucking insects aren’t going to patiently wait for the development of a new, non-toxic product. You can keep the salve at room temperature for easy application. The research is promising because it paves the way for the development of a natural, coconut-oil based product that could protect from insect-transmitted diseases and bites, without harmful toxins. Required fields are marked *. While the world waits for an effective, long-term, natural deterrent, try these options to keep away the insects. If you do add citrus oils to your bug repellants, you should always keep your skin completely covered to avoid UV exposure. Because of this, it is advised to use caution when adding citrus oils to your bug balms and sprays, even though they are strong repellents. Coconut girl. It is used in many alternative remedies and is most effective when combined with other ingredients. This is at no extra cost to you, but it helps me to keep this blog running. We certainly don’t need expensive medical bills from bug carried illnesses. I may earn a commission if you purchase something. Can people with a tree nut allergy eat coconut? Apply regularly to any exposed skin whenever you’re outdoors. Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Coconut Oil and Citronella Bug Spray. At the same time it is very gentle on the skin. Everything from coconut products, to baking ingredients, natural beauty products, and favorite e-books. Clear away any stagnant puddles, leaking faucets in your yard, or clogged gutters. The coconut oil compound was the only tested natural option that provided long-lasting protection from insects. “Sun Sensitivity (Phototoxicity) and Essential Oils”. Tiffany Rowan. - cedarwood A small amount of neem oil is an effective mosquito repellent that can be used in multiple ways. If it’s for a DIY recipe that I use in my mouth such as for these Ayurvedic oil pulling cubes, the oil should be therapeutic grade. Their oils are 100% pure and verified by third party testing, with the results published on their website. Great article! My work space was an open air terrace with magnificent views. We respect your email privacy Luckily there are many natural alternatives to most mainstream beauty and household products. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Rosemary Yes please. More specifically, what type of container do you use? Avoid using it on young children and always test it on a small area of skin before using to make sure that you are not allergic. When mixing, do I need to melt the solid Coco oil first? Hope something helps. 1 cup / 250 ml coconut oil https://www.thisiscoco.com/diy/diy-essential-oil-insect-repellent-with-coconut-oil You can use a mix of 1-2 or more of the following essential oils: Basil I’m going to make this. Let cool, uncovered at room temperature, before capping. It was also able to repel bed bugs and ticks for up to two weeks, whereas DEET only worked for three days. What is the best way to melt coconut oil? Your email address will not be published. But if that’s the only option it’s surely better than contracting the West Nile, or Zika virus carried by mosquitoes, right? https://bettermindbodysoul.com/essential-oil-bug-repellent-recipes Hi, I am Erika. - citronella Includes 85 recipes – Free shipping available! Only thing that I may have had a bit of luck with so far is tucking a couple bounce dryer sheets around me when I sit outside. Though you can’t do anything to reduce the mosquito population in the great outdoors, there are a few steps you can take in your own yard to make it inhospitable to these flying vampires. For a homemade insect and tick repellent, use coconut oil as the base oil and mix it with essential oil. You also gain the benefit of smelling fresh and herby, rather than smelling like bug spray all day. It seemed as if they didn’t like my blood so much as his. - clove Yes please. 9 Comments Filed Under: Coconut for Beauty, Health & Wellness, Natural Living, Wellness. As you know I avoid using synthetic products as much as I can and am all about toxin-free living. 1 cup / 250 ml coconut oil I bought avon skin so soft because it has some oils in it and is reputed to keep mosquitoes away but I couldn’t stand the smell although many others do. Natural bug repellents are not going to be 100% bugproof, nor are they going to last all day. It seems to apply and mix more easily. Roll-on? I share my tutorials and recipes on my site with the hope of helping others to live healthier lives – with coconut! And while DEET should be avoided due to increasing health and safety concerns, it’s not a good idea to spend time in bug-rich environments without protection, either. Enjoy All Your Favorite Comfort Foods – GRAIN FREE! If you want it softer, you can add a little more shea butter (add 1/2 tsp. It helps keeps bugs at a distance as they don’t seem to like the smell of it. - eucalyptus Coconut Oil Bug Repellent Beats DEET – Hands Down For decades, the insect repellent DEET has been the “gold standard” when it comes to deterring mosquitoes. Excuse my ignorance but where can I find all these different oils without driving all over the city? Are you already a subscriber? If the salve is exposed to extreme heat, it can melt or become very soft, so use caution when opening, if the jar has been left in a hot car or the sun. They offer a broad selection of oils such as Citronella, Clove and Lemongrass which are excellent for this DIY essential oil insect repellent with coconut oil. Note: this recipe is made for warm temperatures, which naturally keep the coconut oil liquid. Bring the water in your double boiler to a boil and then lower heat to medium-low. Or do I have to use solid Coco oil. Try throwing thyme leaves into your next campfire as the burning scent may be unappealing to mosquitoes. - geranium “Essential Oil Safety – Phototoxicity”. Store brand dryer sheets was what I tried. Once the mixture is the right texture for your liking, remove the pan from the heat. Use this bug spray on your skin two to three times a day. Let the spoon cool until the mixture sets up. Is fractionated Coco oil ok, or regular Coco cooking oil? Sun Sensitivity (Phototoxicity) and Essential Oils, Coconut Oil's History in Destroying Viruses, Including Coronaviruses, What Type of Coconut Oil is Best? Question: can I use liquid coconut oil. Might be better with real bounce sheets, might not The most common essential oils used as bug repellents are: Note: Some citrus oils, like lemon, also have strong bug repellent properties, but are also considered “phototoxic”, meaning that the skin could damage or burn easily if those oils are applied to the skin and then exposed to any source of ultraviolet (UV) light. – What will I use the oil for? - rosemary Clove If you want to keep mosquitoes at a distance without the harsh ingredients from many store-bought insect repellents, this natural alternative is a great option. I have most of the oils, all except the lemon eucalyptus–I just have regular eucalyptus. How it has changed people’s lives and how it can change yours! This makes a very soft balm, almost like a salve, which makes application easier. – I prefer buying organic, however sometimes the certification process is a bit more complicated, especially when you source from different countries. I don’t know how flattered I should feel about it, but I am back in favor, so I really had to find something to protect myself with. You also gain the benefit of smelling fresh and herby, rather than smelling like