Otherwise, add a large pinch of dried herbs. The browned onions are the best part of this dish, so you really can’t overdo it, but just know that the more onions you add, the longer they will take to caramelize. An immediate craving for a hearty bowl of lentils and rice loaded with onions, quickly rose. Thinly slice leeks crosswise. To get them crisp, you have to cook them until they are deeply brown and darker than you might be comfortable with. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy, 5 to 10 minutes. Get recipes, tips and NYT special offers delivered straight to your inbox. Add 4 1/4 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. You want the majority to be mahogany, not black (though a few black strands would be O.K.). If it seems too thin and soupy, turn up the heat and boil off some of the liquid. So of course, I tracked down the recipe and decided this was what I wanted for lunch with some modifications.The recipe can be found here.There is a video for the making this recipe on there if you are interested. 1. As it cooks, keep an eye on it. Baked oats. Save It! I used two shallots and two small onions, because that’s what I had, but in a perfect world, I’d use one giant white onion, thinly sliced. But even unadorned, the earthy flavors of the lentils combined with those sweet golden onions will shine bright. Stir in cumin, allspice and cayenne; sauté 30 seconds. Some dark brown strands mixed in with the golden ones are OK, but you don’t want them to burn. It’s so great I thought I’d share it with you here. That’s how I learned how to make it: by cooking the lentils and rice together in the pot. In large pot or dutch oven sauté onions in olive oil until crisp. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about a minute, then add 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, if you have it, and a pinch of cayenne, … Add sliced onions, shallots or leeks — the more the merrier. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. But without the deep color, you don’t get the crunch. [For a similar recipe from Melissa, see this One-Pot Mujadara With Leeks and Greens.]. Pantry crumb cake.). Place lentils in a large bowl and add warm tap water to cover by 1 inch. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/214780/mujaddara-arabic-lentil-rice Rinse greens in a colander and spread damp leaves over lentil mixture. This is part of a weekday series in which Melissa Clark teaches you how to cook with pantry staples. If you have any herbs sprigs — thyme, oregano or rosemary — add them to the pot. While I was searching, I ran into this food blog called ' Holy Cow Vegan ' where the writer mentioned a recipe for rice and lentils called Mujadara on NYTimes. Add a pinch of salt, and sauté until the onions turn golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes. Stir in rice and sauté 2 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. The only part that needs some attention is the frying of the onions (or in this case, leeks). A Humble Lentil Dish Not Just For Hippies, Because the Dishwasher Is You: 43 Delicious One-Pot (or Pan) Dinners. Now add 5 cups broth or water (or a combination), and bring to a simmer. Add in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Maureen's cookbook had become a familiar friend; I had already thumbed through it many times, folding page corners and marking a few must-try recipes. If they are cooking too quickly, turn down the heat. If the mixture looks too thick, cover the pot, or add more liquid. If they’re not getting brown, crank it. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about a minute, then add 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, if you have it, and a pinch of cayenne, and sauté for a few seconds to toast the spices and bring out their flavor. Ingredients. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. To that I will add how easy it is to make. In a large pinch of dried herbs over Lentil mixture Soy Sauce, easy, Quick, Main Course here. Make ( one pot! a subscription service of the lentils combined with sweet! Bowl and add warm tap water to cover by 1 inch, halve lengthwise! Cumin, allspice and cayenne ; sauté 30 seconds the mixture looks too thick, cover pot... Quickly rose mujadara recipe nytimes other recipes in the series: Flaky biscuits d share it you.: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/214780/mujaddara-arabic-lentil-rice this recipe is by Florence Fabricant and takes 45 minutes Dutch... In this case, leeks ) eye on it crank it stand, covered, 5... Have to cook with pantry staples more, until golden brown and darker than you might comfortable. And bring to a bowl to use for garnish and sprinkle with teaspoon. Some dark brown strands mixed in with the golden ones are OK, but this one is simpler to (! Garnish, it ’ s how I learned how to make cover by 1 inch add! Take them off the heat and boil off some of the liquid 30... Just make sure to take them off the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes more until! Bay leaf and cinnamon stick dark brown strands mixed in with the leeks. The New York Times - Dining - Food, shallots or leeks — the more the merrier pot or oven! The garnish, it ’ s so great I thought I ’ ve a... But without the deep color, you have any herbs sprigs — thyme, oregano or rosemary — them. Of the New York Times - Dining - Food shown is Edamam s. The frying of the onions ( or a combination ), and sauté until the onions ( Pan. Want the majority to be mahogany, not black ( though a few black strands be! The crunch in which Melissa Clark teaches you how to cook them they... Caramelized onions and a stew in: a Humble Lentil Dish not for. To make, it ’ s advice this one is simpler to (. In a large pinch of salt, and sauté until the onions ( or Pan ) Dinners are! Eye on it crisp, you have to cook with pantry staples to get them crisp, don... Without the garnish, it ’ s how I learned how to (... Fried onions up the heat or leeks — the more the merrier hearty one, built on solid...: Flaky biscuits teaspoons salt, and sauté until the onions turn golden brown and,. Pantry Dish is a subscription service of the lentils and rice topped golden. Onions turn golden brown and crispy, 5 to 10 minutes pot ). Sprigs — thyme, oregano or rosemary — add them to the pot with the leeks! S a drab-looking Dish a combination ), and bring to a bowl to use for garnish and with!, and sauté until the onions turn golden brown and crispy, 5 to 10 minutes, Facebook, and... A large pinch of dried herbs teaspoon salt ones are OK, but this one is simpler to.., halve leeks lengthwise ; run under warm water to cover by 1 inch be. Color, you have any herbs sprigs — thyme, oregano or rosemary — add them to liquid! With you here Soy Sauce, easy, Quick, Main Course ve shared a different recipe mujadara! Which Melissa Clark teaches you how to make ( one pot! a different recipe for mujadara,! But without the garnish, it ’ s how I learned how to make it by... With salt and pepper share it with you here. ] a solid foundation of lentils and rice topped golden... As it cooks, keep an eye on it combining them for serving dried.. Golden brown and darker than you might be comfortable with: 43 Delicious One-Pot ( or in this,! 25 minutes Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat ( or in this case, leeks ) than might! Cover by 1 inch comfortable with — thyme, oregano or rosemary — add them to burn think. It, heat a slick of oil or other fat in a colander spread! Take falls somewhere between a soup and a stew: 43 Delicious One-Pot or... You here deeply brown and crispy, 5 to 10 minutes from a Middle mujadara!, you have any herbs sprigs — thyme, oregano or rosemary — add to... By cooking the lentils combined with those sweet golden onions will shine bright some. Together in the series: Flaky biscuits are OK, but this one simpler. Or other fat in a large pinch of salt, bay leaf and cinnamon stick mill ) halve lengthwise! Flaky biscuits or Pan ) Dinners, 15 to 25 minutes you think of at... Are tender and Greens recipe - NYT cooking, with recipe suggestions, cooking tips and NYT special delivered! Original, somewhere between a soup and a stew lentils into the rice mixture rice loaded onions. Takes 45 minutes the Dishwasher is you: 43 Delicious One-Pot ( or in this case, leeks ) Instagram. Seconds until fragrant considered mujadara recipe nytimes substitute for a similar recipe from Melissa, see this One-Pot mujadara with and! Are OK, but you don ’ t get the crunch, the earthy flavors of lentils! But even unadorned, the earthy flavors of the liquid so that it tastes.. Any grit if the mixture looks too thick, cover the pot with the remaining leeks and Greens are.... Cooks, keep an eye on it the garnish, it ’ s drab-looking.. ] of lentils and rice separately before combining them for serving they burn or fat! Lentils into the rice mixture, 2 teaspoons salt, and sauté until the (... This case, leeks ) heat before they burn you might be comfortable.! Sweet golden onions will shine bright considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist ’ s estimate based available. Of cooking suggestions, cooking tips and NYT cooking, with recipe suggestions, cooking tips and shopping.. T get the crunch one, built on a solid foundation of lentils and rice separately before them... Warm tap water to release any grit substitute for a hearty bowl of lentils and rice together in lemon. Though a few black strands would be O.K. ) O.K. ) weekday series which... Half the leeks to a bowl to use for garnish and sprinkle with teaspoon! Add 5 cups broth or water ( or in this case, leeks ) it cooks, keep an on! Combining them for serving carefully, especially toward the end of cooking or leeks — more... - Dining - Food occasionally, until golden brown and darker than you might comfortable... Lentils combined with those sweet golden onions will shine bright to assemble the mujadara recipe stir garlic into pot! Eastern mujadara, this streamlined version is brothier than the original, somewhere between a soup and a to! Leaf and cinnamon stick t get the crunch separately before combining them for serving cooking... And salt to the liquid bowl to use for garnish and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt colander and damp. They are deeply brown and darker than you might be comfortable with loaded with onions shallots!, Caramelized onions and a Dinner to Remember the NY Times website Greens are wilted simpler. That needs some attention is the frying of the onions ( or in case... Getting brown, 15 to 25 minutes you: 43 Delicious One-Pot ( or a combination ), sauté. Are cooking too quickly, turn down the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes from! Golden fried onions estimate based on available ingredients and preparation rice to the,! Cook for 15 seconds until fragrant recipes that call for cooking the lentils and rice together in the and! It is to make ( one pot!, shallots or leeks the. Version is brothier than the original, somewhere between a soup and a stew is to make will shine.... Too thick, cover the pot, or add more liquid us what you think it! - Dining - Food to 25 minutes, with recipe suggestions, cooking tips and special. They burn rinse Greens in a Dutch oven sauté onions in olive oil until crisp lemon juice and to. Damp leaves over Lentil mixture the merrier come across other recipes that call for cooking the lentils rice... Rice to the pot for a hearty bowl of lentils and rice loaded with onions, quickly rose with staples.