The program is based in his hometown of Oakland, California. It would be like Facebook, but for sneakerheads. TM ® & © 2019 Scholastic Inc. All Rights Reserved. In June 2016, James was accepted into Hidden Genius. So our latest update is all about bringing you the coolest performance improvements and getting bugs fixed. Over time, paint on the midsole of a shoe flakes and cracks. Exposure to sunlight and moisture causes polyurethane—a type of plastic—to yellow. Huckletree Soho, Ingestre Place James and Kevin have been working on their app for the past year. The program, based in his hometown of Oakland, California, trains and mentors black male youth in technology, entrepreneurship, and leadership skills. He’d make an app to help sneakerheads work with verified sneaker artists. stays just as cool. Upgrade your pocket anthill in this ant simulator! He brought them to a cobbler—someone who fixes shoes. Ask people to test an early version of the app to find “bugs,” or errors in the program. To start making the app, the two thought about its interface. He started learning about coding. He felt ripped off. Write code that allows the app to function. Check out Science World At Home for our favorite stories and tools to kick off your year. The cobbler charged $70. He also hopes that the app will help keep old but still stylish sneakers from being tossed into the trash. Some are more successful than others. Experience the most joyful online shoot-out. That means writing instructions that allow computer software to work. “When James came to me, I said: ‘This could be big! Another time, James repaired someone’s shoes, but after returning them, he found out that the online payment he received was fake. They can sell for much more. James soon found his real interest wasn’t in coding software. Next, James and Kevin set out to write the front-end code that would create what the program actually looked like. He started learning about coding. Before joining Hidden Genius, James had never pictured a future for himself in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) field. “That’s when I decided that I was going to teach myself,” he says. SNEAKER WIZ: James Green at the Hidden Genius Project, where he is working on an app to help people fix their sneakers, A teen combines technology and his love of sneakers. This controls the data the app needs to work. Certain vintage sneakers that still look like new are in high demand. Another time, James fixed someone’s shoes. The original Air Jordan 1 is one of the most wanted old-school sneakers. According to the National Science Foundation, less than 5 percent of all science and engineering workers are African-American. Software developers follow this process to design apps. They suggested he think about how technology could help sneakerheads like himself. After dropping out of high school, James continued restoring shoes for his friends to make money. “The back-end is like the bricks that keep the structure of the house standing.”, James and Kevin have been working on their app for the past year. It was released in 1985. I was struggling and lost.” Then James learned about the Hidden Genius Project. This clears the fog from the plastic. James has loved sneakers since he was in middle school. He hopes his story inspires other kids like him to discover the importance of STEM. Dodge countless enemy players, curve your ball like a football superstar, and nail a perfect goal! In 2017, sneaker sales reached nearly $16 billion. Shoot and score! But then James’s barber mentioned that his son was into coding—writing instructions that allow computer software to function. To create the software, James turned to a fellow Hidden Genius member, 18-year-old Kevin Butler. Play now! Fun football game! Become an ant tycoon! This is a winning idea!’” says Kevin. CORE QUESTION: How is James following the steps of the app development process to create FixMyKix? Soccer for everyone! WE LOVE YOU. James needed to make the software. But when James got the sneakers back, they didn’t look right at all. He told him to check out the Hidden Genius Project to see if he’d like to learn how to code too. “The back-end is like the bricks that keep the structure of the house standing.”, Next, James and Kevin started to write the front-end code. Two years ago, James Green dropped out of high school in the 10th grade. Cite evidence from the story to support your answer. I love them, plus the service has been great." London, W1F 0JL Last September, a pair sold for a whopping $3,000. Run with the football and score goals! It trains and mentors black male youth in technology, entrepreneurship, and leadership skills. Decide what the app aims to accomplish and why. But sneakers are a booming business. But when he got the sneakers back, they didn’t look right at all. He knew James had dropped out of school and suggested that he check out the Hidden Genius Project to see if he’d like to learn how to code too. His new skills from the program helped him use technology to turn his hobby into a business idea. James, who returned to high school and is now a freshman at Merritt College in Oakland, hopes that his story motivates other kids like him to discover the importance of STEM. Restorers use special brushes to clean and replenish the material’s texture.