This is the same size as the 3 XL, only the 4 XL's slightly taller 19:9 aspect ratio makes it a teeny bit narrower. Android app Luckily, there's an option to force the display to run at 90Hz at all times, but its buried in the lengthy list of developer options. The results of our testing reflects my experience. (One edge the iPhone enjoys over the Pixel, though: its Night mode kicks in automatically, while you still have to manually select Night Sight on the Pixel 4 XL.). Unlike the Pixel 4, which has battery life that we label as not good at all, my Pixel 4 XL has treated me just fine over the past 3 months. Last year I wrote a post declaring that Google needed to “bring the heat” with the Pixel 4 in an effort to keep the series competitive in 2019 with the likes of Samsung and OnePlus. Those who prefer a cheaper price and smaller display should check out our Google Pixel 4 review. So if you value longevity, the Pixel 4 XL is the Google phone to get. In our brightness tests, the 4 XL peaked at 436 nits with no additional brightness boost. We run a real-world performance test using Adobe's Premiere Rush app to export a 4K video to 1080p after applying a color filter and a transition. The transcript that Recorder produces is fairly accurate — the app stumbles with punctuation and doesn’t always know when one sentence ends and one begins. In it, I do a battery test throughout the day and a camera test to compare it against other devices to see how it does. Coverage Like the Pixel 4, the 4 XL now offers a 12.2-MP main lens with an f/1.7 aperture, augmented by a 16-MP telephoto lens with an f/2.4 aperture. There’s a slight lag in transcription, but it’s fairly accurate, and it will be a wonderful feature if you want to watch a video without disturbing anyone around you. Glossary This $398 58-inch Black Friday Samsung TV deal should go fast, Black Friday Walmart deal brings Google Nest Hub to just $49, TCL 6-Series Roku TV (R635) vs. Samsung Q60T QLED faceoff, Apple Black Friday deals 2020: Best sales on iPhones, iPads and more, 12.2-MP main (f/1.7); 16-MP telephoto (f/2.4), No more unlimited photo storage at original quality. Please refresh the page and try again. This means less of a drain on the battery, which can happen if the screen keeps refreshing itself at the faster rate. To put that number in context, the iPhone 11 Pro hit 652 nits while the Galaxy S10 reached 611 nits when we tested those phones. Contact us But the most important display feature can be found in both Pixel 4 models: Google's new phones have a 90-Hz refresh rate. Google is responding with extra lenses of its own, adding a second camera to the back of the Pixel 4 XL. The skies around me finally cleared up enough for me to take a picture of the sky, though unless I leave my urban surroundings and the light pollution that prevents the stars from really shining, I don't think I'll ever get a really impressive shot. You can actually spot more stars in the older Pixel 3's photo, though the Pixel 4 XL clearly does a better job of producing a less noisy night sky where the color is a more appealing bluish black. With the Pixel 4 XL, you can expect faster updates, and Google promises that you'll have access to the latest version of Android until 2022. Speaking of shadows, the Google Pixel 4 XL does a much better job contending with them in this photo of a statue on the University of California campus. But Google subsequently released a software update that allowed the 90-Hz refresh rate to be active "in more brightness conditions.". FAQ But keep in mind that OnePlus equips its $599 phone with 8GB of RAM to the 6GB found in the Pixel 4 XL. Shortly after the phone's release date, it was discovered that the 90Hz refresh rate only ever kicked in when the phone's display was above 75%. For latest tech news in your inbox, once a day! With the included 18W USB-C Power Delivery adapter, the Pixel 4 XL recharged to 44% in 30 minutes, reaching 77% after an hour and it finally reached a full charge at about an hour and 20 minutes. The endurance rating above denotes how long a single battery charge will last you if you use the Google Pixel 4 XL for an hour each of telephony, web browsing, and video playback daily. PhoneBuff also stated that during the standby mode test, which lasts for 16 hours, Motion Sense was enabled, which may have affected the overall battery life for Google’s flagship.