), (I’m up to / I’ve got as far as chapter five.). stellatutoring TEACHER. 14 Ils _____________ essayer, ils n’arrivent pas à parler allemand. descendre/monter l'escalier (to go down/up the stairs), sortir les poubelles (to take the bins out), the verb must always take avoir. By reflexive verbs, we mean verbs like s'habiller and s'appeler Expressions with aller, avoir, donner and être - Common verb phrases and idiomatic expressions - This book is a unique and innovative resource that identifies and explains the errors most commonly made by students of French. 1 Aller literally means ‘to go’, but it has different meanings in a number of common expressions. In the sentences below, fill in the blanks with the correct form of aller, avoir, donner or être as appropriate to the context and make any other necessary choices. 19 Elle ne veut pas assister au mariage, et ____________, je ne peux pas y assister moi non plus. vocabulary from pages 2-7 of the Reprise expressions with avoir verbs adjectives. 12 Je n’ai vraiment pas de préférence. This would also take avoir: une pièce is the direct object. Key Concepts: Terms in this set (34) avoir faim. Learn. This website and its content is subject to our Terms and 2 Avoir literally means ‘to have’ or ‘to get’, but it is also used in many expressions that take the verb ‘to be’ in English. Il adore le sport, mais il n’en est pas de même pour son frère. With Lingolia Plus you can access 11 additional exercises about Avoir/Être, as well as 583 online exercises to improve your French. Oh, To Be a French Phrase. Summer_Osborn TEACHER. Whereas in the second case, this is how s'habiller goes in the perfect tense: See below for details of why the past participle habillé changes its form with meaning determines which is used. It cost me 100 euros. (I have a lot to do. Nous sommes lundi. French Grammar tips with Frantastique. (I find it hard to understand what they are saying.). KS3/KS4 resources to revise or learn expressions using avoir and être. terms, it means when the verb doesn't have a direct object. 20 La chambre ________ dans la salle de bains. Il y ____ de ta sécurité. ":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(! Generally, they are verbs with different shades of meaning, and the particular Useful expressions with avoir, être and faire Common set phrases with avoir. Si vous avez de quoi vivre, vous avez de quoi être satisfait. Elles avaient peur hier. (At first I didn’t understand the pun, but now I get it.). STUDY. Ils ont l’habitude d’aller au cinéma le vendredi soir. It is widely used with these meanings, and generally (How much will it cost me? faire la queue. Nous aurons faim plus tard. ), to go to a lot of trouble on someone’s account, se donner du mal pour faire quelque chose, to go to a lot of trouble to do something. see the separate section on reflexive verbs.) The adjective may agree (m. J’ai beaucoup à faire, moi. With Lingolia Plus you can access 11 additional exercises about Avoir/Être, as well as 583 online exercises to improve your French. You were early. 16 Je / J’_______________ parler au téléphone quand on a sonné à la porte. My son is ill, that’s what’s wrong.). / How far have you got? French: Expressions with Avoir and Etre Gap-fill exercise from www.ielanguages.com. 13 Je vois que tu as commencé tes révisions. Key Concepts: Terms in this set (39) avoir. être… Il y en a qui arrivent toujours en retard. Elle a de la chance ! Nous avons du retard. EXERCISE 1. Oui, _________. ), (This film tends towards expressionism / has expressionistic tendencies. Match. à qui; s’en aller; avoir beau; ça y est; cela étant; c’est ça; donner dans; donner sur; ne … rien donner; se donner; se donner pour; en avoir pour longtemps; il y a de quoi; il n’y a pas de quoi; il y a belle lurette; il en va; il en va de même pour; il n’en est rien; il y en a; être en train de; y être. In the phrase, convenir de meaning to agree upon J’ai terminé ma dissertation. It is Monday. a direct object. À qui est celle-là? 7 Tu ne devrais pas t’étonner de l’absence de sa mère. (It’s 10 kilometres from here to the airport.). Tu avais raison. This article will explain when to use avoir and when to use Elle a beaucoup de patience avec les enfants. ), (Things happen differently / are different in Africa. take avoir. Ils nous ont bien eus avec leur fourberie. (I was advised not to worry, but there is / I have good reason to do so.). She's lucky! This impersonal expression is always third-person singular. The French verb avoir, “to have,” is found in many essential and idiomatic expressions, including to want, to loathe, and to take place.Learn these and dozens of other French expressions featuring avoir.. Avoir translations. At the end, you can put your knowledge to the test in the free exercises. Another expression you may have come across is monter une pièce (to put on a play). (They’ve really conned us with their double-dealing. (Everyone will have to get used to it and the same goes for you. PLAY. He will be tired tonight. Non, nous aurons bientôt terminé. 1 Qu’est-ce que tu _____? (Can you get me / put me through to your assistant in Rouen? Conjugate the verbs as necessary. 5 Ne / n’_____ pas peur! être to form the perfect tense. Write. (It’s no good my trying, I can’t understand this text. avoir sommeil. On est de retour. tendancy to use être. Gravity. (For more information, Elle __________ tout entière à ses études. You were wrong. opposites or pairs of verbs with similar meanings. PLAY. Examples from Google suggest that être predominates. Useful expressions with avoir, être and faire Common set phrases with avoir. Elle traîne là depuis la semaine dernière.