If you like what you're reading, you can get free daily updates through the RSS feed here. Faith is an action done in response to God’s viewpoint on a matter. Robert. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble”” (James 4:6 ESV). Children are easily fooled and led astray, often accepting things blindly and missing truth while being drawn to myths and fantasies. 1. Following an extended passage on the trustworthiness of God providing all our needs, Jesus said this, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matthew 6:33 ESV). Through prayer we submit to the Lord’s will, cement His truth in our hearts, express our adoration, confess our sins, give thanks for blessings, wage spiritual war, and present needs to Him. Chrystal says those verses brought her back to a place of confidence in her position as a child of God. Even as we are instructed to be like children in one sense, we are also instructed to test the teachings we hear to determine what is true and what is not. The Bible says, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith” (Ephesians 2:8). A few questions can determine where a child is spiritually. Of course, we don’t seek to create darkness in our kids’ lives, but we do give them a great gift when wehelp them have the ability to look to God when darkness inevitably falls. “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. I tell others to make sure any teaching they hear lines up with the Bible, even if that teaching is from me. The book of Hebrews teaches us some of the greatest lessons on faith. The stars were in place when I had first looked up. Our thinking is to become biblical and theological, our obedience is to be total. “I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws.” Psalm 119:30, “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” James 2:17. The second part of faith is commitment–a definite decision not only to believe in our minds that Christ can save us, but to put our lives into His hands and trust Him alone for our salvation. But more than anything I’ve ever experienced, watching Chrystal head into adult life underscored for me the importance of instilling a strong faith in our children. Have Focus on the Family resources helped you or your family? Dr. Tony Evans is founder and senior pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, founder and president of The Urban Alternative, former chaplain of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys, and present chaplain of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks. I need to take this to heart because humility is so important in our relationship with God and that He will resist me and anyone who is prideful. Used by permission. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Hebrews 11:1 tells us that “faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen,” but that doesn’t mean we accept blindly as a child often does. The Bible never instructs us to be naïve or to blindly follow every teaching, or teacher, that claims to be Christian. Jesus points out the importance of humility in the life of those who claim to be His followers. I shared that imagery later with my kids as we discussed what faith is and how it works. Used by permission. But I couldn’t see them until the darkness settled in around me. Double your gift for struggling families! There are beautiful realistic illustrations on each page as well as the Bible chapter or verse reference. We should be as the Bereans who, when they heard Paul’s teachings, responded in this manner, “Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so” (Acts 17:11 ESV). As long as the teaching we are receiving is biblical we can be sure, “… that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Romans 12:2b ESV).eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'whatchristianswanttoknow_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_8',119,'0','0'])); Christians are often encouraged to have a ‘childlike faith’. Please then, parents: be wise enough to not speak assurances about eternal safety to your child’s soul based on such shallow grounds. She says she wrote down Bible verses that reminded her of how God felt about her, and she put them in places where she could see them throughout the day. Service—Doing. Trials test the heart, showing us where faith is young and still needs to grow, and where there has been growth already. Some of her choices were good; others were not. bible, It is often said in Christian circles that we should have ‘childlike faith’. Once our children leave the nest, they will need to rely on their own ability to go to God during trials and successes. In fact childlike faith is something Jesus looks for and delights in. Robert has written 111 articles on What Christians Want To Know! While this term is not found in the Bible, the concept is readily seen when one takes a closer look. Is this not the most common deception, after all, among adults and children alike?—to presume that because I know and believe these facts, that I am saved. It is the humility of children that we are to emulate, not their faith. We are to be active in ministry exercising the spiritual gifts God gave us. Rather, He is exhorting us to be humble like a child who is not ambitious, proud, or haughty. “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Childlike faith, while a good place to start, must mature. But I need the faith of a child, oh I need the faith of a child. My daughter admits that she didn’t necessarily feel like the verses she wrote down were true. Christ gave us spiritual gifts “to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all…become mature” (Ephesians 4:12-13). In fact, “without faith, it is impossible to please God” (Hebrews 11:6 NIV). Our Heavenly Father has the same purpose for each of His children. How common will it be to hear a profession [of faith] from a child who is being reared in a Christian home, especially in a home where biblical instruction and exemplary godly faith is presented to him frequently, perhaps even daily, God giving your family grace! Had the Bible simply been something we opened on Sundays, they wouldn’t have learned that faith is a long-term commitment requiring steady exposure to God’s Word. That’s why we want to help you. If faith isn’t tied to God’s truth, it accomplishes nothing. If faith doesn’t exhibit this daily dependence, when the challenges of life come, your child will be too out of shape to take the next step. There is no discussion of faith in this passage. In one sense, ‘becoming like a child’ means we relinquish the idea that we have worked for our salvation or that God owes us anything at all. Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (NASB). Faith is acting on the truth, whether we feel the truth or not, whether we like the truth or not, whether we agree with the truth or not. It is more than just saying you love Jesus. I hope this helps. I wanna know what the truth is, and i dont care if it's costly. Without faith in God there is no reference to judge right from wrong. They might say, “If I just have more faith, then this or that will happen.” Later, they wondered why faith didn’t seem to work for them. I know there must be a reason, even if it cannot be known by me. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail, Previous post: Samson and Delilah Bible Story Summary, Next post: 7 Offering Prayers For A Church Service.