It is…. Easy and healthy, make sure you try our this Eight Treasure Congee recipe! These grains are starchier than regular rice and that gives the congee a smooth and gooey texture. Other recipes can include soybeans, millet, walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, goji berries, hawthorn berries, raisins, sunflower seeds or sesame. Mix with other type of grains you prefer, until it fills 3/4 of a cup. My mom also cooked the congee a lot at home, using  common ingredients and often fewer than eight of them. Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners recommend this recipe for the young and old, those who are weak or have a sensitive digestive system. The forbidden rice also adds a beautiful purple color to the dish. You can enjoy 8 treasure congee as a side during a weekday dinner or as a guilt-free dessert! As mentioned earlier, this eight treasure congee recipe gets its name from its ingredients. The formula varies depending on each family’s tradition and on available ingredients, but it usually contains glutinous rice and forbidden rice as the main ingredients, along with beans, mixed nuts, and dried fruits. Living in the US, the biggest challenge to cooking eight treasure congee is finding all the ingredients. The Laba Festival takes place on the 8th day of the 12th lunar month. Both stovetop and Instant Pot versions are included. (Optional) Add the sugar according to your taste. Ingredients 1 Packet of Eight Treasure Rice Mix (500g) Sugar (150g) This post is super exciting for me because it marks the first recipe in my Authentic Chinese Series (see also Authentic Chinese: Vegan Chinese Snacks) where I hope to share with you some authentic Chinese dishes that I learn to prepare while living in China. Dumpling Connection © 2020. I also wanted to share the formula so you can blend your own congee. Szechuan Dry Fried Green Beans (Simplified version), Chinese Sauces and Pastes–Guide to Basic Chinese Cooking. As long as you get the majority of it right, the congee will come out well. Eight treasure congee is made with whole grains, nuts, and dried fruits. There also was an ingredient I can’t tell the English name of, it looked like dried small stripes of white rinds, perhaps of a root. If the rock sugar doesn’t dissolve, turn on the saute function and let it cook until the sugar melts, 2 minutes or less. Mix all the ingredients with 10 cups of water. Turn to low heat. Eight Treasure Congee is commonly eaten during the eighth day of the twelfth lunar month, or better known as the coldest day of the year, to celebrate the Laba Festival. (or peanuts, or lotus seeds) (*Footnote 1), , or to taste (or any other type of sweetener you prefer) (Optional). We prefer medium or short grain, … Add more water if it is not to your desired consistency. When I read about it, I considered myself very lucky that I could cook this dish and serve it for a weekend dinner. Cook for around 30 minutes until pressure mode or select beans option. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Cover the pot and leave a finger-wide a gap between the lid and the edge of the pot, to allow more steam to escape and prevent the congee from spilling or boiling over. But if you own an Instant Pot, I highly recommend you use it. As for myself, I love to eat it whenever I like throughout the year. Cook over medium-high heat until bringing to a simmer. Your email address will not be published. One of them is about how in Northern China, during cold winters, people would eat 8 treasure congee to “stick their jaws”. Welcome to my site about modern Chinese cooking, Asian inspired dishes, and classic recipes cooked in my small New York Kitchen. Traditionally served during a Chinese festival, it’s nutritious, comforting, and easy to make. Do not use quick release. The main ingredient should be glutinous rice and / or forbidden rice. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Place all the ingredients and pour around 6 cups of water. Its texture and taste are just lovely. . But I usually added a small spoonful of sugar to make it taste even better. Pre-soak beans overnight and soak rice for at least 4 hours. According to Wikipedia, Laba congee dates back to the Han dynasty (206 BC–220 AD) when the congee was used to worship god instead of for consumption by people.