tall and wide, while English lavender stays much smaller and more compact, although it may grow up to two feet (60 cm.). It produces the strong scent that permeates the air, while French lavender has a much lighter scent, which while nice, is more reminiscent of rosemary. French and English lavender varieties are both great plants, but they are not the same. It smells so great and looks so pretty. Other cultivars range from white to pale pink, pale blue, or violet, usually, a deep violet, but there are blue, white and even red cultivars, medium-length flower, 1-2 in (2.5 to 5 cm), usually, pale lavender. See more in this post about How to Use Lavender to Help You Sleep. There are lots of different English lavender varieties but my two favorites are Lavandula angustifolia 'Munstead' and Lavandula angustifolia 'Hidcote.'. These names are often mixed up, since English lavender is native to France, French lavender is native to Spain… Patti. Need advice? For those of us living in cooler regions, it just means that you will want to keep yours in a pot and bring it indoors during the cold months. Catmint vs. Know the differences between these popular types to choose the best one for your conditions and needs. Lucky you to live in a warm climate. If you live in the north, you may want to plant English lavender or Lavandula angustifolia. I have planted them one week ago inside and am very hopeful. Bloom time. Yes he did. French lavender and English lavender are related, but they’re different species and they do have a few crucial differences. Size. I'm glad my post helped you. Thank you for sharing. I'm a fellow member of the Garden Foxes and I'm going to share this post on my FB page this week! Leafage similar to, strong and camphorus leafage, delicate-scented flowers, little oil in flowers, strong and camphorus leafage, more delicate-scented flowers, little oil in flowers. French lavender is only hardy through about zone 8 and won’t tolerate cold winters. With our brand new eBook, featuring our favorite DIY projects for the whole family, we really wanted to create a way to not only show our appreciation for the growing Gardening Know How community, but also unite our community to help every one of our neighbors in need during these unprecedented times. Your email address will not be published. Neither French or Spanish lavender is used much today in cosmetics but they are valued more for their ornamental use. You can accomplish this by keeping the lavender pruned as needed to allow air between the branches. When she is not working on a project at home or searching for treasures at nurseries and thrift stores with her girlfriends, you’ll probably find her with family and friends, at a restaurant, or home party enjoying new and different food adventures. I've been planting them in sunniest part of my property, which gets a lot of wind in the winter. Make sure they are in well draining, even poor soil, and consider pruning out some of the middle if they are too bushy. But I realised I needed some more but the man he bought them from didn`t have any more but he said he could get some more from somewhere else. After a few days there were new pots in the garden and the caretaker planted them where I wanted them to be. Find more gardening information on Gardening Know How: Keep up to date with all that's happening in and around the garden. Different lavender flowers by paravion under Pixabay license The important thing to remember about English lavender is that they like well-drained soil. If you’re looking for the characteristic lavender smell, choose English lavender. It doesnt have rabbit year flowers though-bulbous shape with tiny lavender petals. This lovely plant is also drought tolerant and deer resistant. French lavender is only hardy through about zone 8 and won’t tolerate cold winters. I love lavender. Your email address will not be published. That was the only time I lost some of my lavender but not all of it? I have grown several plants over the years and it is one of the toughest plants in the garden. Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips! Which is best? The Spanish lavender is only grown as an annual in Sweden but it is pretty. Core Caryopteris facts Name – Caryopteris…, Both in Muslim lore and in Christian legends, the Virgin Mary is an important figure. Your email address will not be published. The … Which one deserves a spot in your garden ? Depending on your location and what you want to use them for, you can plant either of the French lavenders, or go for English lavender. Get to know them so you can choose the best variety for your garden and desires! You may also like this roundup of 20 Ways to Use Lavender in the Home or this post about Cooking with Lavender. When it comes to French vs. English lavender there are some important differences. I appreciate all the help I can get! I couldn't find lavender plants so I bought burpee seeds. Interesting post! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you!