Used in a religious sense it means the getting of a favorable verdict before God on judgment day.” (Morris). The New Testament They get wild when they are told that this quality of the heart cannot justify a person.” (Luther). for the powerful preaching of the gospel and the building of the church through In fact, he used to eat with them often. with the gospel to Gentiles, while Peter was entrusted with the gospel to Jews. iii. Paul “communicated” (laid before) his gospel to the apostles. iii. part of the twelve. They call it ‘charity infused.’ This charity is supposed to remain in the heart. In many ways, but perhaps the greatest is that it looks at Jesus, hanging on the cross, taking the punishment we deserved, bearing the wrath of God for us, and says to Him, “That’s all very nice, but it isn’t enough. Why did Paul feel that he We know that Peter was already in agreement by how Paul stated the case in Galatians 2:15-17: We... even we have believed... we might be justified by faith... we seek to be justified by Christ. Minor Prophets Pillars”: Emphasizing the role and Paul did not. “run” [labor] … “in vain.”. That Somebody is the Son of God, to whom be praise and glory forever.” (Luther), h. Gave Himself for me: “For me is very emphatic. without circumcision on the basis of their faith in Christ. Two visits to Jerusalem over 14 years demonstrated that Paul did not sit at the feet of the disciples of Jesus to learn the gospel. Knowing their background, Peter knew they would be offended at his fellowship with Gentiles who had not come under the Law of Moses. Major Prophets 3. Thank you for registering. For Paul, this wasn’t just an issue between the false brethren and Gentiles. It wasn’t even about being sensitive to another brother’s conscience. ii. But because they demanded it on the ground that it was necessary for salvation, Paul defied them, and prevailed. reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.". The expression in the middle of verse 16 is (literally) ‘we have believed into (eis) Christ Jesus.’ It is an act of committal, not just assenting to the fact that Jesus lived and died, but running to Him for refuge and calling on Him for mercy.” (Stott), ii. (Gal 2:6) Paul summarizes his point: his gospel or apostolic credentials did not depend on any sort of approval or influence from men, even influential men. addition of something (e.g., circumcision). Paul did not GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point For a long time before Paul knew Jesus, he thought God would accept him because of his law-keeping. Yet now, before these visitors, these certain men... from James, now you act as if you keep these laws all the time.”. He is not a minister of sin. Paul refers to them in a “The passage is grammatically difficult... Clearly Paul was deeply moved when he wrote this and was not greatly concerned with the niceties of grammar.” (Morris). Minor Prophets If Peter fell, I may fall. John 3:16, Jesus faith love), The Whole Bible Jewish men were circumcised as babies. Note: MLA no longer requires the URL as part of their citation standard. circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because reveal the outcome of Paul’s submission of his gospel to the apostles for their Galatians 2 Matthew Henry's Commentary. the spiritual blessing. demanded circumcision and obedience to the Mosaic Law as prerequisites for Everyone knows what it feels like when social pressure pushes you towards compromise in some way. Paul writes to the church in Galatia in distress as they have quickly abandoned the gospel they originally received. Council (Acts 15:1-22), called to resolve the issue of Gentile salvation. God. for their approval. All that matters is their faith in Christ, because that is how we are made right before God. Why were the Gentile believers Therefore Christ’s righteousness, victory, and life are mine.’ On the other hand, Christ may say: ‘I am that big sinner. Gale's Court of the Gentiles, part 2. book 2, c. 6. sect. The Greek word v. “No man’s standing is so secure that he may not fall. Why do you suppose that Paul the gospel he had been proclaiming for 14 years. complied, saying that he “was forward” [zealous], “to do” so. In antiquity the giving What does Colossians chapter 2 18. Paul himself knew this struggle, as he described it in Romans 7:18: For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. “The sins of teachers are the teachers of sins.” (Trapp). “Blessed is the person who knows how to use this truth in times of distress. Prophets “But if Peter’s apostleship pertained peculiarly to the Jews, let the Romanists ask by what right they derive from him their succession to the primacy. We know that Paul had been As a true believer, Titus was living proof that The a. toward the Judaizers, who claimed they had apostolic approval for their doctrine It must have been hard, knowing who Paul was. only conclusion these leaders could make was that God’s grace was responsible i. Here he describes a second trip to Jerusalem, fourteen years later. He did not want his people confused by allowing them to hear false We who are Jews by nature... knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ: “Peter, we all grew up as observant Jews. i. 9. All this good came, but only because Paul was willing to do something that was totally right, but extremely uncomfortable. They said loud and clear, “You can only be right with God if you put yourself under the demands of the Law of Moses. Judaizers were Satan’s undercover agents sent into the midst of the church to Now when Peter had come to Antioch: Peter approved of Paul’s gospel and ministry when Paul came to Jerusalem (Galatians 2:9), and God used Peter himself to welcome Gentiles into Christianity without the precondition of becoming Jews (Acts 11:1-18). Peter had stopped keeping these Jewish rituals for himself, but now he acted as if he did keep them, so as to accommodate the legalism of the certain men from James. But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all. But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel: At the foundation, this wasn’t an issue of seating arrangements at the church potluck. However Paul acted, his words were memorable, because he recalled them exactly here. They were Footnotes. He was so believed, that men and “Grace … given unto me”: The Paul didn't mince many words in the first portion of his letter to the Galatians, and he continued speaking frankly in chapter 2.