The frequency of harvest depends a lot on the way you grow chives. Once the plant is established it requires little care. Follow me on my journey to learning how I use EO’s daily in my home. Indeed, you can dig clumps from the garden before a freeze and plant them in pots so as to be protected from the harsh weather.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'yourindoorherbs_com-banner-1','ezslot_12',110,'0','0'])); The process of seed germination and transplanting is what many gardeners (and I do) recommend. A good quality soil provides the required nutrition and minerals to the plant. Let the plant grow to a few inches (nearly 3 inches) then transplant it in outside or a large container. Dig the soil deep enough so that the roots of the plant get fit into it. If you grow some of them. Related post: How to grow and care Calamint indoor. If you are fascinated by plants as I do and you want some geeky point of view, you are in the right place! They bloom in late spring. Growing chives is very easy but there are some points that you have to keep in mind while growing them. This will make the whole process way faster. So, a few days of dry soil will not hurt them. Use Nursery Starts; Transplant from the Garden; Start from Seed; Care and Harvest; Use Nursery Starts. You need extra potting soil for this. Growing chives is very easy. They grow well on a kitchen windowsill too so I usually plant them in containers and bring them in during winter so I keep having chives all year long. Freezing is the best way to store them. It sounds like a lot to do, but proper preparation of the seedbed really makes a difference in the quality, health, and vigor of the plants. We recommend [sc:HerbalAcad ]. Brush the soil to cover the hole. This variety has the same onion flavor as common chives but they are taller and have big flowers. Chives usually last up to 4 years, with a lifecycle that, from starts to finish, articulated in: From germination to death, here are the stages. These living things can grow millions of times their original size, they convert air into wood and can end up in your plate feeding you. Want to learn more about herbs? However, chives are likely to grow best in Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, New York, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. The hardiness plant zone map makes it easy to figure out in which location the plant is likely to grow well.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'yourindoorherbs_com-mobile-leaderboard-1','ezslot_22',118,'0','0'])); Chive outdoors grows well in USDA Hardiness Zones 3 – 9. Steps. Most people dry the chives and store it but drying will reduce the flavor. Growing this herb at your home will save you money because they are used in many dishes or salads. Water the chives regularly until they are fully grown. Every plant is unique and has its limitations and grows in certain hardiness zones. Use it in cooking. Follow these steps to avoid any problem in the future. No worries after cutting. You can continue to grow within the water jar or glass but after a time they will stop growing. Replant divisions 8 to 12 inches apart. Light: chives are not shade lover herbs (if you need one check the article below). How cool is that! Can chives can be grown in pots? Don’t worry if it takes a few days more. Chives are easy to grow from seed, and once you have some growing in your garden, you can divide clumps of them in the spring or fall to create even more plants. As a guy raised in the sunny Sardinian island (Italy), I used to grow for fun all kinds of herbs on our balcony. This can provide a continuous harvest during the growing season. Well established, mature chives survive fine in drier soils but watch the tips to see if they are drying and turning brown indicating the need for better watering. Pour little water to moist the soil. Finally, water the area gently so that rushing water doesn’t wash your seeds out of the ground. They grow pretty slowly at first and take awhile to get established from seed, but once established they're perennial and will just keep producing more chives indefinitely if you keep them warm. Later, chives can be harvested once per month. Do chives need light to germinate? This means that you grow them indoors, and you leave for a weekend vacation, without any heating, your chives will be fine. If you want to give it a try, just follow the germination steps, but you should use straight away a large 20cm pot (or smaller 10cm ones). Gardeners although often claim that such herbs have higher success when grown outdoor. Required fields are marked *. MomPrepares.com © 2020 All Rights Reserved. Rotate pots if chives are reaching toward the light. In the spring, they attract pollinators like butterflies and bees. Indeed, many gardeners, as discussed here, clearly found that, without division, the clump dies starting from the center with the possibility to lose the entire clamp. Your email address will not be published. In the beginning, growing chives in the pot is a good idea because in the pot you have better control of the plant. It’s a familiar story: we know organic and inorganic fertilizers but – talk about artificial, natural, synthetic, and chemical fertilizers and we’re a bit lost. For an easy division, you need to:eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'yourindoorherbs_com-leader-2','ezslot_18',116,'0','0'])); Above all, the productivity of chives increases if plants are divided on a regular basis. Water the plant-soil when it looks dry. Until the seedlings emerge, check the soil daily and make sure the seed’s little home stays moist.