I think they still need a little extra something for more flavor (hmmm maybe roasted red pepper sauce?) Into this mixture, stir in the eggs, chopped parsley, diced onion, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Approved. We appreciate the kind comments and support, and we’ll see you next time in the kitchen!–Chef Buck. Add the fish to the pot and let the fish and potatoes cook until they are both soft. THANKS FOR SUCH AN EASY, DELICIOUS MEAL. ), When we Bajans (Barbadians) make codfish cakes, we, too, add either potatoes or cooked calabasa/pumpkin to keep the cakes from becoming too tough. "Try to keep mixture firm, sloppy does not help with frying. Once your fish is drained, boil and peel your potatoes and then use a fork to mash your fish and potatoes together in a bowl. of italian bread crumbs. Required fields are marked *. Unsubscribe anytime! Bonita’s Kitchen is a popular cooking show on YouTube and EastLink Community Television, based out of Newfoundland, Canada. Before frying coat in seasoned flour mixture (white flour, seasoning salt, black pepper and paprika, this will ensure a nice crispy coating and no crumbling. This article has been viewed 208,581 times. Fishcakes can be a little tricky to make. Bonita, I am planning to have a Newfoundland dinner using your fish cake recipe as the centerpiece. Bonita. They are actually two different species of salmon, and the pink fish is more prevalent, so the cost is less. After you have all your fish flaked add to your bowl continue mashing to mix all your ingredients together. We add more herbs and spices (thyme, oregano, garlic powder, curry powder, paprika) and hot peppers (diced habañeros) or sauce (Louisiana-style) to taste. but all in all it was a fantastic meal I will definitely make again. I generally use canned pink salmon to make a salmon cake because it’s less expensive than red salmon. how to fry fish cakes. WE LOVED IT, I ADDED OLD BAY AND PEPPER TO THE WATER AND TESTED IT BREADED AND FRIED VERSUS BAKED Egg, Fish, White Flour. For a quick canned fish version of fish cakes, scroll down! Divide your mixture into 8 patties and then fry in some butter or oil. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. If you are making fish cakes for breakfast, enjoy with a fried egg and toast. I am married to a Newfoundland’s and I have found your videos sooo helpful. Mmm... these fish cakes really made my night. But you serve them with mustard pickles and I have here our recipe for potato biscuits https://youtu.be/qj6YQcr1DcE you can have on the side, and you can also fry some sunny side up eggs. Use fresh hake. 3- In another medium boiler half full with water add 1/2 tsp sea salt ( optional) 1/2 medium onion, then add your potatoes. When I say salted water just a 1/2 tsp of sea salt after the water is boiled then add the fish, always debone the fish before or after. Salmon cakes taste great cooked in a skillet on the stove top, but baking them in the oven uses less oil, so if you’re seeking a break from fried foods, baked canned salmon is a healthy option. What sides would typically be served with this dinner? Get our best updates delivered to your inbox. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Try this easy baked salmon cakes recipe made with canned salmon. 8- Form each scoop of fish mixture into a flat patty then roll in your flour and put to the side on a plate until all your fish cakes have been made. I used orange roughy filets instead of cod and red potatoes. Some people likes to make fried fat pork, also called scrunchions with fried onions to go over your fish cakes. Absolutly. If you only need to fry some of your fish cakes you can freeze the rest in freezer bags and date them for another time. (I've recently taken to just purchasing frozen cod filets which I boil up once and then flake for use in the recipe!) We traditionally serve them with tartar sauce made with dill pickles for supper; then enjoy the leftovers for breakfast with fried eggs. When we Bajans (Barbadians) make codfish cakes, we, too, add either potatoes or cooked calabasa/pumpkin to keep the cakes from becoming too tough. I like your recipe as well and having the dipping homemade tartar sauce. I used my regular plastic spatula, but if you have a fish spatula *affiliate link, this would be a really great time to use it (the extra length helps you be maneuver a little better). Enjoy Bonita. Fry the patties on both sides until golden brown. 4- In a medium frying pan add 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp olive oil melt then add 1/2 medium chopped onion fry until golden brown. By using our site, you agree to our. I lived near Placentia Newfoundland for a year in the early 90’s and I fell in love with the people and the land. It got that aroma that makes the meal come together and very enjoyable. Yes you can use a different fish if you can get access to a white fish, halibut any fish thats white, just cook it in a pot of salted water. 7- In a small bowl add 1/2 cup of flour, then start scooping your fish mixture up with a ice cream scoop, to make equal helpings. Bonita, Can’t wait to try these fishcakes! If the fish you are using is already salted follow the institutions on this recipe to soak and cook. I hope this helps you and enjoy have a lovely day. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Allergens. We add more herbs and spices (thyme, oregano, garlic powder, curry powder, paprika) and hot peppers (diced habañeros) or sauce (Louisiana-style) to taste. Salmon is often better because of its taste; codfish tends to be bland (but feel free to include such flavorings as herbs, salt, and pepper, grated cheese, etc.). Place the potatoes in a large pot of water, bring the water to a boil. Mold the mixture into patties. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Hi Shaw Lane: Thank you for your message and for making our recipe using Alaskan Cod, savoury is a herb/spice and its the same as sage, summer savoury, thyme, its available where they sell spices in the grocery store. Drain on paper towels before serving. Then add in the amount required in the recipe above, along with the other ingredients. What to Serve with Fish Cakes: 10 Easy Options - Insanely Good Allergens. This article has been viewed 208,581 times. Eliminate the potato to reduce caloric content, if you are calorie-conscious. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour, this will blend the flavors and solidify mixture to avoid crumbling when frying. You can substitute salmon for cod if you would rather make salmon cakes. (I prefer to use a deep fat fryer so that the cakes have a crisp outer seal yet remain tender inside.). Join our email list and get our latest recipes, updates & promotions every week. Years ago most people never had full access to butter and olive oil. What sauce will go with spaghetti and haddock fish cakes? Congrats! It felt like I was home again. (I prefer to use a deep fat fryer so that the cakes have a crisp outer seal yet remain tender inside. Be sure and sign up for our mailing list and never miss a new Chef Buck cooking video, and also click a button below and share the dishes with your friends. It seemed a bit plain so I added about 3 T. of red bell pepper some salt and pepper and Everglades seasoning. Contact us if you are interested in any of the following: Your email address will not be published. We use to get just the savory at one time in NS, but now I can only find the summer savory which is delicious but not as strong as just savory. I boiled the potato and cod with 2 garlic cloves and half an onion. (I prefer to use a deep fat fryer so that the cakes have a crisp outer seal yet remain tender inside. Although some people enjoy them for breakfast, many others eat them for lunch and dinner as well. These homemade savoury fish cakes are so delicious you will be making them all the time.