No humans or pets were harmed during the production of these pineapples as houseplants. Six years planted pineapple. Enjoy stunning blooms next summer with a collection of rose standards in four colours, 'Pink', 'Red', 'White' and 'Yellow'. So cut off any dead leaves, etc. Hi, Pattie! The choice is yours. Happy gardening. I’m goint to plant some and leave some and see what happens. If you purchase a product via those links through Amazon, Amazon will pay us a referral fee, at no extra cost to you. My mom bought me a small pineapple plant from Walmart. Remove one inch of the bottom leaves, dust it with sulphur powder and rooting powder and sow it two inches deep in a fast draining moist soil that is acidic say pH of about 5. Fill a pot with multi-purpose compost mixed with horticultural grit, then position the pineapple rosette in the centre, firming more compost around it. You didn’t include the location, so we would suggest contacting your local Master Gardeners association for tailored advice. People eat pineapples raw, cooked, canned and juiced on their own or as part of fruit salads, desserts, and main meals in a variety of cultures and cuisines. See post: Sherry Napa|How to Grow Pineapples. Pineapple is a tropical fruit plant, so provide bright sun without burning the plant or drying out the soil. While this may not necessarily guarantee the actual fruit, it. Carefully peel away individual leaves to reveal a length of stem. Hold it firmly and with a hard twist pull off the top (like unscrewing a lid from a jar). We recommend contacting the Rutgers Master Gardener Helplines — it’s free! Hi, Ravi, If it is, you can have it outdoor and place the planter box away from direct sunlight. Put the pot in a bright window, and water the plant when it’s dry, just enough to keep it moist. See post: Eleni|Grow Your Own Pineapple Plant. Then, using the remaining soil, she filled the rest of the pot to secure the plant. As suggested in above detail I planted pineapple tops here in Pakistan we have long summers and short winters and even in winters the temperature does not fall below 10 degree Celsius I planted them about 4 months ago.It took about 2 months for them to root and in no time the new leaves emerged and now one is about 5 inches tall and the other is i guess 4 inches tall but one is wide spread they are progressing well here one I have planted in a 20 inch container and other in a 12 inch container it has spines on borders spines are pink in color waiting for my fruits . Look for one with firm, green leaves that have not turned yellow or brown. 4. We were getting 10 to 15 pineapple a week during the season. Great question! Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. Thank you for your help and information. I don't agree, however, as I had no problem with my method of removing only the lowest leaves without having to expose an inch from the base. After your plant yields its first plant what should you do with the bottom of the plant that’s still in the pot? Mostly because non of them grow here in Canastota, NY. It doesn’t look like any pictures i have seen. More than 50 pineapple trees were planted. A mature potted pineapple plant will be several feet across and tall, and a mature plant will need a 5-gallon planting container. Mazlan (author) from Malaysia on July 02, 2020: Hi, Janisa. Be sure that the water does not touch the leaves. Appreciate suggestions. Trim off all the fleshy fruit and cut around the base of the rosette to leave the clean central core surrounded by leaves. If they need trimmed, how far back should I trim It? In this case, you should go to the next test: smell it. Take care! However, on the return I... Have you ever wanted wondered how to make a Christmas swag for your front door, a lantern, your... An easy diy the add some character to your walls. It was grey inside and no taste. Choose a pineapple with a healthy green rosette of leaves or topknot, then eat the fruit. I have been plagued by powdery mildew on my plants — some not all. I am a senior and do everything by myself. Can you tell me what I can to do to control this fungus? Looking forward to the fruit! In fact, the main ingredient in the pina colada cocktail is pineapple. From the team at Gardeners' World Magazine. After about a year, you'll need to re-pot the pineapple plant yet again, into a bigger, 5 gallon pot or container. My just wanted the foliage, she never in her wildest dreams thought it would bear fruit. Water the pineapple stalk very lightly, just enough to moisten the soil — a spray bottle works well for this. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Today’s Homeowner community, Gill! More information about growing pineapples: . The next year one of them gave me fruit, the “mom” plant has two fruit and at least 5-6 buds. Sir I want to seek information regarding my a pineapple plant. To do this, wrap the leafy top with a piece of cloth. Is it worth repotting those in their own pots? But water might collect and stays at the leaves/stalk section and this might attract mosquitoes. hi I live in NC so it’s very warm. We'll show you how! How much longer will it be before the fruit is ready. Couple of weeks….roots galore. Ellen. Question: If I plant pineapples in the garden how far from each other should I place them ? We are glad to hear it. So, yes, you should cut them off and replant them in another pot. I really want the plant to grow so I will take all of the help I can get. Is it best to plant it or to keep it as a house plant? Everyone is amazed when they look at them and hear the story! Here is a list of resources that can help you understand what is foing on with your pineapple plant: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm9pf29Cdb-pHJorVygU0Dh_-lwIg21H_ Sometimes I get a houseplant, sometimes I grow a pineapple. Besides planting from a top, you can use suckers that come out in the axil of the leaves for growing new plants. In winter I keep them in our sun room with many other plants. Have shared over 20 plants with friends. Root- tone says on the label not to be used for food plants. Hi, Gladys, Bronwen Scott-Branagan from Victoria, Australia on August 21, 2016: When we were children sometimes our mother would give us the pineapple top to grow on some cotton-wool. I keep it outside in the summer in Georgia. Will it grow another pineapple? Should I take it outside? We would love to hear the status update as well, Candy! Reading for your article I knew that I may get the fruit or not. 2 years ago I threw a top into the garden during the summer to decompose. It will not survive in the cold winter. As a decorative piece, a pineapple top can double as a faux succulent for your home. I will keep you posted as to how it's doing. Their roots do not need much room, so you can plant them in flower pots as well. Thanks for the advice! The plants winterized in my garage. Please can you send a email to me and let me know. This Hometalker says that growing pineapples indoors and outdoors is very easy. I love cut and come again fruits and vegetables. Question: I have a pineapple that is leaning to one side. For example, one cup of pineapple chunks has only 82 calories. My mom has a green thumb and I’ve grown to want to be like her in that area over the years. Hi, Aidan, Make sure you use a proper shear of sufficient length and also to wear gloves to protect you from possible injury from their sharp spines. PlantInstructions.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for websites to earn referral/advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Here's how to turn an old drawer from a tatty chest of drawers and into an insect hotel for your... Today I'm sharing a step by step tutorial on How to Build a Wood Christmas Tree using Shiplap... Making these wee folk was so much fun!