It still tastes good though. You are advised to avoid it because of the miniscule chance of a specific type of food poisoning associated with blue cheese, not because there is anything inherently harmful in the cheese itself. Has anyone else eaten blue cheese in pregnancy? I have the Depo shot and my boyfriend always pulls out during sex. Especially during pregnancy, you should pay attention to a varied and healthy diet. According to Baby Center, soft, blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and roquefort, are not considered safe to eat in pregnancy. Just watch the calories. Share with Tangle Teezer - £100 voucher to be won, Please help- I am in a panic as I inadvertently ate blue cheese, Talk widget showing discussions of the day & trending threads, Subscribe to Mumsnet emails direct to your inbox, www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/917.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=130. Unpasteurized soft cheese can cause a miscarriage. Chiropractic care during pregnancy helped me a lot! Great article! But pasteurization destroys it, so as long as the dressing (which contains VERY minimal cheese, btw...) was otherwise kept at temperature, I wouldn't worry about it. Here in the states, feta, blue, all of these are pasteurized. Blend well with an immersion blender or upright blender. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, Get all our new recipes straight to your inbox, an invitation to our private Facebook group, and a BONUS download with your first message! No wine (not even champagne, imagine! Is it safe to eat ice cream during pregnancy, Is it safe to eat frozen yogurt during pregnancy, Is it safe to eat gorgonzola cheese while pregnant, Leftover food is safe to eat during pregnancy, Is it safe to masterbate during pregnancy, Is it safe for pregnant women to eat velveeta cheese, Is it safe to eat non organic foods during my pregnancy, Is it safe to take metamucil during pregnancy, Is it safe to take lisinopril during pregnancy. HealthTap uses cookies to enhance your site experience and for analytics and advertising purposes. What do you think of the answers? So go with a great quality blue cheese, and full fat mayonnaise and sour cream. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. i avoided it during my first trimester because it is a mold and is at risk of holding bacteria. I understand you arent supposed to eat foreign unpasterized soft cheeses, but come on. At least once a week I feed on this cheese. French women are just as neurotic as us. This is page 1 of 2 (This thread has 36 messages.). Make sure everything is pasteurized first, okay? All Rights Reserved. I have never met a French woman who would decline a glass of wine during dinner-does that make you feel better, havingbath? Never truly been a blue cheese fan myself so I didn’t have to worry too much during pregnancy. A really delicious cheese. It's apocryphal that pregnant women in France continue to eat blue cheese - they are pretty observant of this. Grocery cheeses are usually marked, deli cheeses may be of more concern but if it's a real deli you can ask there as well. Okay, this is baby number three, Im in my second trimester. Basically, do not eat raw animal food. We put it in a mason jar. She flipped out saying that I was going to hurt the baby. Connect by text or video with a U.S. board-certified doctor now — wait time is less than 1 minute! Get answers by asking now. If they can't tell you, don't eat it, but I would guess most of the time they'll even pull out the block and show you the label. Tortillas are a good source of protein, fibre and carbs. I can’t believe it took me so long to make my own blue cheese dressing. Please help. Okay, this is baby number three, Im in my second trimester. Hard, blue-veined cheeses, such as stilton, are less likely to contain listeria than soft, mould-ripened cheeses. 1 decade ago. A British dietician has stated that a woman may develop listeriosis from eating soft cheeses, with no data for backup. The question with all cheeses in pregnancy should be... Is it pasteurized ? With both kids I ate cobb salads with blue cheese and even dipped celery in it, it was actually a craving I had with my son. I couldnt hold out the whole time though. I would use caution. There are plenty people who don't find out they are pg til late and have been drinking/smoking/eating the wrong thing and most of those babies are fine. I m an old timer who ate absolutely everything in pregnancy, before the days when everything was deemed dangerous to eat. Still have questions? Our previous article Can you eating hot dogs while pregnant? There are different types of blue cheeses, but in general there is a risk of contracting listeriosis from most blue cheeses. Naturally I dipped the wings in blue cheese dressing. I'm 10 wks pregnant and my darling partner offered to cook slap up meal last night, except that he used mouldy cheddar with lots of green furry bits in the sauce. When I discoverd I was pregnant with DC2 I was on holiday in France a few years ago, eating blue cheese/goats cheese/any mad cheese from the market and feasting on salami, pate and wine. If they can't tell you, don't eat it, but I would guess most of the time they'll even pull out the block and show you the label. But why are some cheeses safe to eat during pregnancy and others not? You are not the only one to have done this - the chances that you'll have done any harm with one sandwich are very small indeed. To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet. Easy recipes for dinner, lunch, breakfast, snacks, and dessert! The bacteria can trigger listeriosis, which is usually harmless but very dangerous for pregnant women and their unborn children. I know that I am not meant to. You ll be fine. As the name suggests, it is a blue-green cheese. Cheese is rich in calcium and protein and is recommended during pregnancy. However, there are some types of cheese you should avoid. The fear with soft cheese is of course, listeria. I didn't know i was pregnant then, and there's nothing I can do about it now, so relax. Hard, blue-veined cheeses, such as stilton, are less likely to contain listeria than soft, mould-ripened cheeses. I worked in food service, and as long as we purchased from SYSCO everything dairy we got in was pasteurized or UHT pasteurized. Side note: I was born in Germany. Lovely. Has a guy ever tried to get you pregnant. It's not dangerous to the baby to eat dessert on occasion. That's what I've done all pregnancy anyway. With both kids I ate cobb salads with blue cheese and even dipped celery in it, it was actually a craving I had with my son. More specifically, take a look at the expiration dates of each of your ingredients, and find the one with the earliest date. I … Is this really so bad? Blue mold and white mold soft cheeses, for example, are less acidic and wetter than other types, making them a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Someone will be along to say they have & its fine but just to say, DON'T PANIC. If you're in doubt dining out, ask and most policies require they inform you of information like whether the cheese is pasteurized. With both kids I ate cobb salads with blue cheese and even dipped celery in it, it was actually a craving I had with my son. Is it safe ? Still have questions? You are advised to avoid it because of the miniscule chance of a specific type of food poisoning associated with blue cheese, not because there is anything inherently harmful in the cheese itself.No need to panic. You can find her content featured on MSN, Huffington Post, News 6, BuzzFeed, and more! To be safe do not eat hot dogs, pickled or ring bologna or cold cuts either, unless you heat them to 160 degrees. I ate a ton of blue cheese and brie with this pregnancy and my others and my girls and I are just fine. She flipped out saying that I was going to hurt the baby. The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps your lemon was more acidic than usual and it broke the dressing down some? Any idea why it didn’t stay think. Your email address will not be published. i avoided it during my first trimester because it is a mold and is at risk of holding bacteria. Most cheeses by far are made with pasteurized milk and are perfectly safe. Love to dip raw veggies in it for lunch. That's what I've done all pregnancy anyway. condiment, dip recipes, food, gluten free recipes, salad, sauce, April is an expert foodie and consummate traveler who has honed the craft of developing simple delicious recipes and finding fun places to explore! She noted a total of 26 cases of listeriosis in pregnant women from all causes in England and Wales in 2011.