Bibbo, Superman's number one fan, and the Ace O' Clubs tavern were a big part of the late '80s and early '90s Superman comics, back in the days when Doomsday, ill-advised mullets, and Lex Luthor clones plagued the Last Son of Krypton. The real star here is Dex-Starr, an average house cat that was imbued with the power of rage during a painfully sad backstory. With over 6,000 lines of dialogue and hundreds of pieces of gear to collect, cataloging every reference in Injustice 2 is practically impossible, but you can get an idea of the game's scope and depth by focusing on one of its new characters, Supergirl. And then there are, of course, all those Easter eggs and other references—the small details which you may not pick up on your first, second, or 50th time playing the game, but which make Injustice 2 feel like one of the deepest, richest DC Comics experiences ever put on a console. For example, Flash nemesis Captain Cold, who appeared in both seasons of Legends of Tomorrow, is absolutely brimming with small, off-handed nods to his silver screen counterpart. A lot of people were shocked by the Joker’s design change in Injustice 2. It’s horrifying. While he hasn’t been as prevalent at high level competitions as some other characters, a particular competitor known as Coach Steve has been adamant of showcasing his interesting skillset. It's hard to imagine these days, but over the years, DC Comics has published a number of non-superhero comics, and while Injustice 2 is all about the metahumans, a few of DC's retro science fiction and adventure titles snuck into the game as well, although you'll have to look carefully in order to find them. Small details in Injustice 2 only true fans noticed. The Tigers, for example, were Metropolis' football team in the '90s rom-com Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. While his gameplay may frustrate players sick of taking on zoners like Deadshot, Captain Cold just looks so damn great. Just like Marty McFly, the Flash doesn't like it when anyone calls him chicken, while one of the customers at the Ace O' Clubs wears a puffy orange jacket that looks very, very familiar. I think Will Smith played him in Suicide Squad, and I like Will Smith, but I’ve never seen the movie. Batman is different. Too bad he’s completely lame otherwise. Despite being one of the game’s faster characters, Cheetah’s speed belies her reliance on a strong throw game. Ah, right, it’s because Deadshot is pretty damn good. When you add the new gear system and the fact that you can even change some of the abilities, the roster’s size and versatility begins to transform. Let’s just get this out of the way: Captain Cold is kinda dorky. After all, the Teen Titans' Starfire is only mentioned a couple of times during Injustice 2's story mode, but before release NetherRealm announced that the exiled princess will be a part of the game's first round of downloadable content. The only thing I have written in my notes on the character is “unremarkable” because he’s one of the most milquetoast fighting game cast members in recent memory. If you want to understand just how packed Injustice 2 is with DC Comics trivia, look no further than the Metropolis stage, which effortlessly combines elements from practically every decade of the Man of Steel's long and storied history into one cohesive whole. The more you can make the other player second-guess themselves, the better. Another Mortal Kombat Easter egg is a little bit harder to find. I love the attacks he has at his disposal, and he can set up some devastating mixups with his chattering teeth special. The king of Atlantis was a strong contender in the first Injustice, and brings much of the same gameplay to the sequel. The scary little feline adds an entire new dimension to his gameplay with fireballs, shields, and more, allowing the big brute to extend combos and counter keepaway strategies more reliably. During Batman's super move, the Bat of Gotham, the Caped Crusader straps his opponent to a balloon and sends them to the stratosphere, where the Batwing arrives in a shot lifted directly from Tim Burton's first Batman adventure. Throwing your opponent into the theater marquee three times will knock off some of the letters, until the sign finally reads "Finish him." Anyways, Deadshot is lame and I’m not sure how he got around being ranked dead last. If Injustice and Injustice 2 feel familiar to you, there's a very good reason. That also happens to be the serial number for Cyrax, an android fighter in the Mortal Kombat universe. One of the posters on the theater wall hawks a movie called Return of the Pharaoh. If the Flash clears Green Arrow's first life bar in one-on-one combat, the speedster will say, "That's for breaking Felicity's heart." When fighting the Red Lantern Atrocitus and his evil feline companion Dex-Starr, Supergirl namedrops her Silver Age pet, Streaky the Supercat. You’ll find my five favorite and five least favorite picks below, and might learn something cool in the process. That's a pretty deep cut. Over the past five years, the CW has transformed from the home of teen dramas like Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie, and One Tree Hill into a one-stop shop for the adventures of DC's second-tier superheroes, and naturally, Injustice 2 is getting in on some of the action. Meanwhile, when Joker and Black Adam fight, Joker asks Adam if he's met "that other lightning guy." Even Supergirl's supporting cast appears. That's also the name of a 1951 story in DC's Danger Trail, which starred the globetrotting secret agent King Faraday, who later entered DC's superhero continuity as a member of the covert spy agency Checkmate. During a challenge in Injustice 2's single-player Multiverse, for example, players can call on Suicide Squad's El Diablo, who shoots fire from offscreen. That's only the tip of the iceberg, and we're only talking about one character. While it’s a bit too early to say if one or two stand above the rest in terms of competitive potential, that won’t stop me from ranking them on more arbitrary terms.