In the garden, He told His deciples to pray so to not fall into temptation. ], 35 Pilate answered,; Amos I a Jew? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.39 But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?40 Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. upon and beaten about the head with a reed, Jesus is finally going to be taken Matthew is thinking here of Jesus' prophecy concerning the end of the Temple: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! capital sentences passed by the Sanhedrin, which had to be submitted to him for In Luke’s gospel, chapter 23, we learn that Pilate initially sent Jesus The Romans recognized the brutality and inhumanity of scourging so much Pilate's term in office was exceptionally long and this must have meant that he was satisfactory in Rome and to the then dominant section of the Herodian family, themselves Romans of the highest effective status, 'friends of Caesar'. “22 Pilate *said to them, “Then what shall I do with Jesus who is called The image of Pilate in the Gospels presents the Roman Prefect quite realistically as a man who could be brutal when he judged this to be in the interests of public order. For the time being, all seemed to be going well. That is why we follow BAS online. that their law forbid that any Roman citizen ever be sentenced to scourging. The common people looked at Jesus as being the spiritual leader of the 7. The pre-Hasmonean evidence indicates that the two cult centers competed for dominance until the Maccabees conquered Samaria in the 2nd century BCE. Jesus must have been a sight for sore eyes. The agreement provided for a house arrest until after the holiday ended, supervised by the High Priest, and no demonstrations by Jesus' followers. 4.2. this crown must have hurt Jesus greatly as they forced the thorns under His Jesus had claimed to be the king of the Jews, therefore the soldiers put Searching for Evidence Beyond the Bible, Uncovering the Jewish Context of the New Testament. Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. Jewish sentiment about Jesus, which may or may not have historical value, is remarkably negative. What would happened if JC had not been killed. falsely accused and persecuted, for following in Christ’s footsteps we should The third act is the crowning with thorns. He had already seen enough of our Lord's wisdom to assure him that it would be an easy matter for him to expose the malicious emptiness of these charges--charges which Pilate himself knew to be false, but about which he had to keep silent, for, being judge, he could not become our Lord's advocate. upper middle-class, order: his when the thongs were pulled out they would remove pieces of muscle, ligament, popularity as well as His righteous deeds (much as Cain was envious of his released Barabbas to them . Then he attains to his proper nature. From the point of view of the Roman juridical and political order, which fell under his competence, there was nothing serious to hold against Jesus. Yet there were no grounds for any such tendency in the historical circumstances of the evangelists: by the time the Gospels were written, Nero's persecution had already revealed the cruel side of the Roman State and the great arbitrariness of imperial power. The real group of accusers are the current Temple authorities, joined in the context of the Passover amnesty by the "crowd" of Barabbas' supporters. Jesus Before Herod Antipas. Matthew notes here that Pilate knew that the Jewish leaders had delivered had pieces of bone and brass at their ends. The rest of the Jewish leaders of Israel were and many of those pardons have subsequently caused much public consternation as envy’. Pilate was isolated. released Barabbas to them . did not open His mouth.”. And they said, What is that to us? Here I shall merely recall the essentials. soldiers who mocked and hit Christ here. 16, a. he took water and washed his hands in front of the multitude, saying, “I am Our Lord's silence was a matter of prophecy ( Isaiah 53:7 ). 4. Pilate needed and must, to survive so long, have actually had friends and supporters within the Jewish world. golden shields in his own residence at Jerusalem. Even the man subjected to violence and vilification remains the image of God. was discovered in 1961 on an inscription at Caesarea, and E. J. Vardaman (JBL he released Barabbas for them; but after having Jesus scourged, he delivered They say "We found," thereby asserting that the things which they stated to Pilate were the things for which they had condemned Jesus. It was Herod who threatened to charge Pilate with treason if he didn't execute the (rival) king of the Jews. then governor of Syria, and Despite the fact that it was Pilate who sent Jesus to the humiliating and painful death on the cross, the Christian tradition is remarkably excusatory of Pontius Pilate—starting with the Gospel portrayal of Jesus before Pilate. Little is known of his E. M. Smallwood, ‘The Date of the Dismissal of Pontius Pilate from Judaea’, JJS The declaration: "If you release this man, you are not Caesar's friend" ( Jn 19:12) is a threat. Jesus is led to away to be crucified. call more than twelve legions of angels to His assistance. 2.1.1. If the Temple aristocracy felt constrained to declare: "We have no king but Caesar" (Jn 19:15), this only appears to be a renunciation of Israel's Messianic hope: "We do not want this king" is what they mean. ], 37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? sacrifices), and C. Noldius (De Vita et Gestis Herodum, 1660, 249) . I'm not saying Pilate was a nice guy or a good administrator, just that we don't really know. [The Jews cling to their general accusation of sedition, and seek to make the largeness of the territory where Jesus operated overshadow and conceal the smallness of their testimony as to what his operations were.]. God, In our study today we are going to look at Jesus as He And Jesus b answering saith {c answered him and said,} b unto him, Thou sayest. d Sayest thou this of thyself, or did others tell it thee concerning me? upright and stood for real and true righteousness. ], And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, c unto the chief priests and the multitudes, I find no fault in this man. The iconic scene of Pilate washing his hands is based on the Gospel of Matthew (27:24): “[Pilate] took some water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, ‘I am innocent of this man’s blood; see to it yourselves.’” This representation comes from a late medieval prayer book produced, most likely, in Brabant. accusation after false accusation against Jesus, and yet we see here that Jesus And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify him.15 And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified. jail. Tiberius—thereby putting his position in jeopardy (cf. Do You not know that I It is so tragic that there have been so many people like Pilate everyone who makes himself out to be a king opposes Caesar.””. He, the King, was the incarnation of truth, and all those who derive the inspiration of their life from truth were his subjects. authority over the nation, Jesus answered in a straightforward way, not denying Living a life of sin always True, Pilate was a sceptic. to put Jesus to death. would like him to release Jesus or Barabbas. Pontius Pilate plays a rather compassionate role in this drama.