Glorious in holiness.' 23 And the king of Ai they took alive, and brought him to Joshua. Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they were accursed: neither will I be with you any more, except ye {f} destroy the accursed from among you. 7 So Joshua ascended from Gilgal, he, and all the people of war with him, and all the mighty men of valour. Now viewing scripture range from the book of Joshua chapter 12:7 through chapter 12:24... Joshua Chapter 12. Joshua 7:1-16 6024 sin, effects of. He was not often wont to, 'The Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.' So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. And the land rested from war. Viewing the original 1611 KJV with archaic English spelling. So the Lord turned from the fierceness of his anger. and 27th verse: "And Pharaoh sent, and called for Moses and Aaron, and said unto them, I have sinned this time: the Lord is righteous, and I and my people are wicked." 29 Then Joshua passed from Makkedah, and all Israel with him, unto Libnah, and fought against Libnah: 30 And the Lord delivered it also, and the king thereof, into the hand of Israel; and he smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain in it; but did unto the king thereof as he did unto the king of Jericho. 40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded. And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones. 4 And they went out, they and all their hosts with them, much people, even as the sand that is upon the sea shore in multitude, with horses and chariots very many. 20 And when the men of Ai looked behind them, they saw, and, behold, the smoke of the city ascended up to heaven, and they had no power to flee this way or that way: and the people that fled to the wilderness turned back upon the pursuers. 27 Only the cattle and the spoil of that city Israel took for a prey unto themselves, according unto the word of the Lord which he commanded Joshua. 12Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they were accursed: neither will I bee with you any more, except yee destroy the accursed from amongst you. The divine purpose moves restlessly on, until it is accomplished; so "after the death of Moses, Jehovah spake to Joshua," i. 27 And it came to pass at the time of the going down of the sun, that Joshua commanded, and they took them down off the trees, and cast them into the cave wherein they had been hid, and laid great stones in the cave's mouth, which remain until this very day. For this, consult with Gen 2:16, 17: And the Lord commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt, The next attribute is God's holiness. Moses is dead, but the people are on the verge of the promised land, and the story of early Israel would be incomplete, did it not record the conquest of that land and her establishment upon it. 3 And when the inhabitants of Gibeon heard what Joshua had done unto Jericho and to Ai. 12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. 14 And all the spoil of these cities, and the cattle, the children of Israel took for a prey unto themselves; but every man they smote with the edge of the sword, until they had destroyed them, neither left they any to breathe. 42 And all these kings and their land did Joshua take at one time, because the Lord God of Israel fought for Israel. would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side Jordan! NIV New International Version. 19-31. 10 And Joshua at that time turned back, and took Hazor, and smote the king thereof with the sword: for Hazor beforetime was the head of all those kingdoms. [Some look upon the events in this and the next section as occurring at the Feast of Tabernacles in October, others think they occurred at the Feast of Dedication in December, deriving their point of time from John x. The first case I shall bring before you is that of the HARDENED SINNER, who, when under terror, says, "I have sinned." But if you look upon the maps, there are some that separate these by a very large tract of land, …John Lightfoot—From the Talmud and Hebraica, The Covenant of WorksQ-12: I proceed to the next question, WHAT SPECIAL ACT OF PROVIDENCE DID GOD EXERCISE TOWARDS MAN IN THE ESTATE WHEREIN HE WAS CREATED?