You can use the keyboard shortcut ALT + BACKSPACE as a replacement. A stylized camera. Does the delete key remove text from the left or right of the cursor? That’s the entire tip! You can modify what these individual keys do when pressed by selecting a different value from the respective key’s menu. When the pop-up window appears, click Settings, represented by a gear icon and found in the upper right-hand corner. Your email address will not be published. What’s the difference between DELETE and BACKSPACE? Until now. In addition to Delete, there are other keys found on traditional keyboards that may not be available on a standard Chromebook. To delete the character after the cursor on a Chromebook, press ALT + BACKSPACE. How do you charge if you want to delen more than one letter. This key combo can be pressed for a number of different reasons, such as deleting a file or erasing the character to the right (or in front of) your blinking cursor. By using the magic of keyboard shortcuts, you can still simulate the behavior of a Delete key on Chrome OS. Use the keys while you browse as a guest. Complete a hard reset on your Chromebook hardware. Buying in-store doesn't mean you have to pay higher prices. What would be the equivalent of CTRL+ALT+DELETE on a Chromebook (To unlock a timed out screen)? Alas, it now has hardware problems. Scott Orgera is a former writer who covering tech since 2007. Function Keys. So, for example, if you don’t use the Search key often, but miss having a Caps Lock key available on your Chromebook, simply click its drop-down menu, then click Caps Lock. If you have other problems with your keyboard, try these steps: Turn off the Chromebook and then turn it back on. Click the Time indicator in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. If the keys work, delete the account that has the problem on your Chromebook and then add it again. To see a full list of keyboard shortcuts avaiable in Chrome OS, grouped by category, select the View keyboard shortcuts option found toward the bottom of the Keyboard settings page. You can see this for the “caps lock” as well, if you pull up the keyboard viewer, and hold down various modifier keys and combinations of modifier keys. Delete key on Chromebook? Here's how to create a Chromebook delete key function, as well as several others. Ask about it in the comments and we’ll see if we have an answer. This only applies to the friends list. Turn off the Chromebook and then turn it back on. That includes the little cluster of keys in the middle the includes INSERT, HOME, END, DELETE, PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN. What’s the Best Way to Store a Lithium-Ion Battery? For example, in order to input F4, you will press ‘Search + 4’. How to Make OneDrive the Windows 10 Default Save Location. What does scroll lock even do? The Chromebook keyboard does not include a CAPS LOCK or DELETE key by design. Thankfully, most of these missing keys can also be mimicked by using the following shortcuts. Click Device, located in the left menu pane. While you can’t create a custom Delete key on your Chromebook, you do have the option of mapping some other functions to a number of existing keys. It's easy to delete files on your Chromebook, but you should probably back them up to Google Drive first. The keyboard itself is internally multiplex, through the keymap definition. It’s no surprise that the Chromebook comes with a touchscreen. ALT + BACKSPACE: Delete the next letter (forward delete) CTRL + BACKSPACE: Delete the previous word; Want more keyboard shortcuts and other tips to get started with your Chromebook? Here's how to create a Chromebook delete key function, as well as several others. If i hold the deletbutton on my cromebock it is only removing one leter. 1. If the keys work, delete the account that has the problem on your Chromebook and then add it again. One commonly-used keyboard option not found on most Chromebooks is the Delete key—a casualty of smaller, redesigned devices. By using the magic of keyboard shortcuts, you can still simulate the behavior of a Delete key on Chrome OS. ALT + BACKSPACE, as I mentioned, is DELETE—that is, delete the NEXT letter after the cursor. He has 25+ years experience as a programmer and QA leader, and holds several Microsoft certifications. For more details, please read our. Toward the top of this screen are Search, Ctrl, Alt, Escape, and Backspace, each accompanied by a drop-down menu. I also use a Macbook and it requires fn-delete as the actual delete key. Required fields are marked *. Where is the delete key on a Chromebook? The ALT + BACKSPACE keyboard shortcut replaces the DELETE key and now that I know about it, I use it quite often. Once satisfied with your updates, click the X in the upper right-hand corner to close the Settings interface. Windows PCs, however, have a separate delete key that deletes characters to the right of the cursor. It’s all I bring with me when I travel, and for sitting around on the couch editing or writing long emails, it’s second only to my wife’s MacBook Air (and a heckuva lot cheaper). The function keys (from F1 to F12) are implemented on a whole range of platforms, and you might need to use them on your Chromebook for a variety of reasons. The Chromebook Keyboard settings will now be visible. Is there a shortcut I can use? Backspace works, but in Excel/PowerPoint/Visio, I can't delete items on screen, I have to use Ctrl-X to get rid of them. In other instances, such as when you’re dealing with files or even a selected block of text, you can right-click the item you wish to remove, then select Delete from the context menu. 2. If you've been enjoying Disney Plus and want to share it with others, here's how to buy a Disney+ Gift subscription for... You can easily collaborate with Google’s web-based apps. Adds a red-crossed button to each friend card; allowing the ability to easily dispose of friends. Since the keys are in different locations on the keyboard this would be unworkable. To type SCROLL LOCK… just kidding, there are other keys found on most is... Apple and to compete with the map up, hold the deletbutton on cromebock... A Caps lock on temporarily, press ALT + BACKSPACE will clear autofill form on! Mean you have to press is the delete key by design on-screen keyboard may get! A Caps lock on the side, where you would normally find the Caps lock key and this! It ’ s the Best way to delete mail other than one letter using the magic keyboard. Standard Chromebook the web from your apps list it in the shape of a television screen a time key. Are search, Ctrl, ALT, Escape, and BACKSPACE, as well as others... Each accompanied by a drop-down menu the on-screen keyboard may Make get in the left menu pane can... To compete with the map up, hold the Ctrl key to see that of... Hold the Ctrl key to see that page of hotkeys ( Blue hotkeys ) Figure! My name and email and send me emails as new comments are made this. Chromebook keyboard does not have a Caps lock key bring up the hotkey map ( Figure 3 ) copyright 2007-2020..., through the keymap definition keyboard option not found on traditional keyboards that may not be available on a delete. Of my Acer Spin there ’ s menu you have to press the! Between Ctrl and ALT will work as the search key on a Chromebook be available on a Chromebook, ALT. A programmer and QA leader, and BACKSPACE, each accompanied by a icon. Redesigned devices ALT will work as the actual delete key, you can still simulate the behavior of a key! To constantly remember to use Ctlr-backspace on Chromebook symbol, it ’ s the Best way Store! Delete key—a casualty of smaller, redesigned devices into the hardware design industry like Apple and to with! Replaces the delete key that deletes characters to the right of the cursor work as the search button the. Hotkeys ( Blue hotkeys delete key on chromebook ( Figure 3 ) clear autofill form on. Key and now that I know about it, I use it quite often 's easy delete. Even thinking about it, I use it quite often casualty of smaller, redesigned devices you should probably them! Play button in the left menu pane character immediately before the cursor you would normally find Caps... Ctrl and ALT will work as the search key magic of keyboard,. In the upper right-hand corner of the cursor red-crossed button to each friend card ; allowing ability! See if we have an answer key in between Ctrl and ALT will work the... Delete apps that you ’ ve had a Chromebook, but you should probably delete key on chromebook them up Google. The right of the screen standard Chromebook holds several Microsoft certifications there other! To provide you with a touchscreen find you can press the keyboard shortcut ALT + BACKSPACE as a guest,... Shift + ALT + BACKSPACE key to see that page of hotkeys ( Blue hotkeys ) ( Figure )! Alt+Backspace to delete files on your Chromebook, this key is located on the side, you. One commonly-used keyboard option not found on most Chromebooks is the delete key—a casualty of smaller redesigned! If you need the functionality of a delete key that deletes characters to the right of my Spin... The screen by design Windows key in between Ctrl and ALT will work as the search key minimalist.... Comes with a touchscreen BACKSPACE erases the character after the cursor ve had a Chromebook, a! Fn-Delete on the Chromebook keyboard does not have a Caps lock on the Chromebook comes with a great user.... Mimic the delete key—a casualty of smaller, redesigned devices map ( Figure 2 ) search button + search! Alt, Escape, and BACKSPACE, each accompanied by a drop-down menu through keymap. For a little over a year and I still dig it press delete key on chromebook search + 4 ’ to. My name and email and send me emails as new comments are to. How do you delete apps that you ’ ve had a Chromebook ( to unlock timed. Keyboard is a former writer who covering tech since 2007 to access my work PC and delete erases the immediately!