I have watched some videos from rick beato .. but he didn’t explain how Nd why… Dorian b2.. how did it come about.. Do you have a course I can buy or can you make a course explaining it to the fullest? That’s right — a chameleon-like scale that ascends one way and descends another. Warning: The F-flat key is a theoretical minor scale key. However, from grade 6 onwards, students are required to play melodic minor for their exams. The G melodic minor scale has 1 flat, 1 sharp. Great tool here though, will definitely learn. We are already familiar with the Modes of the Major Scale, but we can create modes from any pre-existing scale. The G-flat melodic minor scale has 1 double-flat, 5 flats. Please note that the scales here are not arranged by order of difficulty, but rather in a chronological order. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! This is a commonly used minor scale key - B minor on circle of 5ths. Warning: The D-flat key is a theoretical minor scale key. This is a commonly used minor scale key - D# minor on circle of 5ths. E flat Melodic Minor Scale Video: Right Hand: After logging in you can close it and return to this page. In other words, several other scales come from the Melodic Scale. Here is a sound of the melodic minor scale: The reason you need to learn the Melodic Major scale is because is a parent scale to other scales. In Jazz, the modes of the melodic minor scale are very widely used. The F# melodic minor scale contains the same note pitches, is easier to work with, and is a direct replacement. ______________________________________________________________________, A Melodic Minor Scale Video not practically useable) keys.. Jazz Piano; Acoustics; Donate; Contact; Melodic Minor Modes and Altered Scale. not practically useable) keys. For grades 1 to 5, students are given a choice of playing either harmonic or melodic minor scales. This is an incredible video. For graded scales syllabus, please click here, ______________________________________________________________________. If you want to practice this scale I have a video below showing just one of the ways I practice the scale. All keys are shown, including the commonly used 12 keys of the Circle of fifths diagram, and other theoretical (ie. This page shows piano and treble clef diagrams of all melodic minor scales, starting from note C. All keys are shown, including the commonly used 12 keys of the Circle of fifths diagram, and other theoretical (ie. Melodic minor scales. This page shows piano and treble clef diagrams of all melodic minor scales, starting from note C. There aren’t many explanations of this elsewhere because I guess its simple, but definetely was a gap in my theory knowledge. The B-sharp melodic minor scale has 3 sharps, 4 double-sharps. I usually encourage students to choose harmonic minor as it is easier to learn and remember the fingering and notes (you do not need to remember 2 different sets of notes and fingering for ascending and descending). Warning: The E-sharp key is a theoretical minor scale key. Introduction . As we have already learned, a Mode is a scale created by establishing a new root note within a pre-existing scale. The C# melodic minor scale contains the same note pitches, is easier to work with, and is a direct replacement. D Melodic Minor Scale For grades 1 to 5, students are given a choice of playing either harmonic or melodic minor scales. Theoretical keys are clearly marked (they would have double sharps or flats in the key signature), and alternative enharmonic keys that sound the same are suggested in each case. Left Hand: I usually encourage students to choose harmonic minor as it is easier to learn and remember the fingering and notes (you do not need to remember 2 different sets of notes and fingering for ascending and descending). Warning: The G-flat key is a theoretical minor scale key. He is doing this in A, but Sean says, its not knowing the SCALE that is important. ( Log Out /  The login page will open in a new tab. The G-sharp melodic minor scale has 5 sharps, 1 double-sharp. E Melodic Minor Scale. I have several videos and trainings explaining Modes on my website. In addition, all members have access to Scale Charts, with suggestions for how to practice them. It would seem that what gives this scale its unique sound is third note which is flat (b3), however I believe what gives this scale such a unique sound is the natural 6th and 7th notes contrasted AGAINST the flattened 3rd. Remember that for the melodic minor scale, when descending, you play the natural minor scale. The E-sharp melodic minor scale has 4 sharps, 3 double-sharps. For the melodic minor scale, you raise the sixth and seventh notes of a scale by a half step as you go up the scale and then return to the natural minor as you go down the scale. This is a commonly used minor scale key - C# minor on circle of 5ths. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. But as far as I'm concerned, its still the Melodic Scale. This is a commonly used minor scale key - Ab minor on circle of 5ths. Change ). Can you tell us who the pianist is in the short video? The B-flat melodic minor scale has 3 flats. Embrace it!!!!!! ______________________________________________________________________. Here’s a diagram of the A melodic minor scale on piano (ascending). However, seeing it as a I-IV can also be extremely useful. I begin by showing the notes of the scale in C. Then I show the notes to the melodic scale in G. After that we show a video where a jazz artist plays a G melodic scale, but starts on the 5th note. A melodic minor scale (ascending) Here’s the scale on the treble clef (ascending). ( Log Out /  Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. The D-flat melodic minor scale has 6 flats. Please log in again. Those three seconds sound great and I’d like to check it/him out. We conclude the video by showing how to apply that specific melodic minor sound to other keys. This is a commonly used minor scale key - G# minor on circle of 5ths. Say we were to play the C melodic Minor Scale, but we started on a D instead of a C. That same scale is now the "2nd mode" of the Melodic Minor Scale, called the Dorian b2. The C-sharp melodic minor scale has 6 sharps. Melodic Minor is a PARENT scale (see below) The reason you need to learn the Melodic Major scale is because is a parent scale to other scales. This is a commonly used minor scale key - E minor on circle of 5ths. This is a commonly used minor scale key - A# minor on circle of 5ths. ______________________________________________________________________. This is a commonly used minor scale key - F# minor on circle of 5ths. All your videos are. ______________________________________________________________________, G Melodic Minor Scale Video Here’s the scale on the bass clef (ascending). Cause originally I thought a 5-1-4 was a 5min-1dom-4maj…. See the last video on this page!. ______________________________________________________________________, F sharp Melodic Minor Scale Video: I used it that way because I like to see the progression resolve to the 1 (minor).   Say the band is holding a note and you just need a scale to play (start on the 3). Am I a Pass, Merit, or Distinction Student? Right hand: This is a commonly used minor scale key - C minor on circle of 5ths. Am I confusing this? Is there a formula for a melodic minor chords? Hmmm… so you say to apply this to a 5-1-4, but this really looks like a 1min-4min. © 2020 Copyright Veler Ltd, All Rights Reserved. And if I know the notes in the Melodic Minor Scale, I also now the notes in the Dorian b2, and ALL of the various modes of the Melodic Minor. Rememeber my goal on theory is that it is not as firm as traditional schools would have you believe, and should be flexible enough to adapt to what you are doing. ( Log Out /  Learning to play the scale is only the FIRST STEP, https://seanwilsonpiano.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Melodic-Minor.mp4, hold a minor chord in the left, start from the 5th note of the scale for a nice sound, begin a ii-V-1 progression, then start the Melodic Minor Scale while ending the scale on the I. The C melodic minor scale contains the same note pitches, is easier to work with, and is a direct replacement. I have said that it is one of the most important scales to learn, because it is a parent scale to many modes, such as the Super Locrian Scale. Also, we have a formula for the the diatonic major chords(Maj,min,min,Maj, Maj,min,dim). Learn how to form other types of scales in all keys.