They are very inaccurate. The percentage of lubricant 1 is based on weight. My conclusions in summary: (1) Lederer - Roegiers equation when used with the proper alpha value works! n1, n2, and n are the viscosities of Oil 1, Oil 2, and Mix, respectively. This is a dr bob type of question. (2) Arrhenius equation and the Widman mixing calculator do not work! Performance & security by Cloudflare, Please complete the security check to access. \displaystyle \nu_{\text{mixture}} = \exp \left(\exp \left(\frac{\text{VBN}_{\text{mixture}} - 10.975}{14.534}\right)\right) - 0.8. JavaScript is disabled. cSt : Calculate the percentage of each of two oils to be mixed to obtain a desired viscosity at a specific temperature. (2) Arrhenius equation and the Widman mixing calculator do not work! \displaystyle \text{VBN}_i = 14.534 \times \ln\left(\ln\left(\nu_i + 0.8\right)\right) + 10.975. My conclusions in summary: Note: The above program does not account for the affects of sulfur‚ asphaltenes or vanadium on the apparent viscosity of the crude oil. beta = [ln(n / n2)] / [ln (n1 / n2)] • Since you're only driving it 1200 miles a year, cold startability doesn't seem like a major consideration for your application. The calculator on this site is for informative purposes only and we make no claims as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of the results produced by our calculators. n = n1^x1_effective * n2^x2_effective You are using an out of date browser. Select Calculator Mixing Ratio Calculator for Silicone Oils Viscocity of A Viscocity of B Mixed viscocity of interest CALCULATE RESET. Calculation of the viscosity [mm 2 /s=cSt] of a mixture of two oils knowing their viscosity at a given temperature. Chevron developed an alternative formulation for the viscosity blend index in which the volume fraction of each component may be used. I have finally got to calculate the empirical alpha values using the Blackstone KV100 for Oil 1, Oil 2, and Mix. Mixing ratio oil A:oil B = If the desired viscosity is unknown, you may be able to determine the viscosity needed by using this formulation: ... VA= Mixing viscosity of Silicone Oil A Or project farm. JavaScript isn't enabled in your browser, so this file can't be opened. For some engineering calculations, particularly in hydrocarbon processing, it is necessary to estimate the viscosity of a mixture (blend) of two or more components. \left(\nu \right) of a mixture of two or more liquids. Calculate the result of mixing two known oil viscosities. \displaystyle \text{VBN}_{\text{mixture}} = \sum_{i = 0}^{N} v_i \times \text{VBN}_i. For some engineering calculations, particularly in hydrocarbon processing, it is necessary to estimate the viscosity of a mixture (blend) of two or more components. You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store. (3) alpha values ranged from 0.42 to 1.46 in Ed's samples, greatly deviating from the Arrhenius equation and Widman mixing calculator, which assume alpha = 1. If you want to calculate the alpha for a given sample directly without trial and error, here is the formula: x1_effective = x1 / (x1 + x2 * alpha) I don't know what property/chemical in the oil gives it the appropriate viscosity and if mixing oils with differing viscosities in equal parts leads to the final viscosity being the average of the 2. For similar base-oil types, use alpha = 1.0000, for which the Lederer - Roegiers equation reduces to the Arrhenius equation. • Cloudflare Ray ID: 5f8127a89929cc8b If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware. I think your plan for mixing 10w30 and 20w50 VR1 is OK for getting a high-zddp oil with reasonable cost and effort. x2_effective = 1 - x1_eff The use of any of the calculators' results is at the user's sole risk. Note that the order of the oils matters when you use a given alpha value -- do not exchange Oil 1 and Oil 2. \displaystyle \text{VBN}_i = \ln (\nu_i) / \ln (1000 \times \nu_i ). 20 Wt vs 30 Wt Iron Wear Levels from BITOG UOAs, Motul X-Lite 0W-30 6,000 mi '04 Subaru Forester XT, Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend Base Oil Research, Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Vehicles. The VBN of the liquid mixture is then calculated as follows: \displaystyle \text{VBN}_{\text{mixture}} = \sum_{i = 0}^{N} x_i \times \text{VBN}_i. (4) You need to have at least one measured sample to calculate the alpha empirically, from which you can calculate the viscosity for different mix ratios for the same two oils. Refutas (2000) proposed a method by which the kinematic viscosity Calculate the blend ratio of two known oils to achieve the desired viscosity. Select the temperature that goes with those viscosities and click the Our Viscosity Index Calculator is our new online calculation tool where, by entering the results of your sample's kinematic values at 40 °C and 100 °C, you can have the viscosity index value calculated in … In this method a Viscosity Blending Number (VBN) of each component is first calculated and then used to determine the VBN of the liquid mixture as shown below. Calculate the blend viscosity of two known oils. Kinematic viscosity, base oil mixure. Calculate fuel mixtures 50:1, 40:1 and more. Note: If the densities are not available, the dynamic viscosity (DV) calculator also applies to the kinematic viscosity (KV) with good accuracy for common oil densities between 0.8 - 1.0 g/mL. © Copyright NiMAC LTD | Terms and conditions Sitemap, Calculate blend ratio of two known oils to achieve desired viscosity, Calculate the Viscosity Index from Kinematic Viscosity, Calculate viscosity using Viscosity Index, Calculate blend viscosity of two known oils, NiMAC responds to local Hospice’s urgent PPE appeal, NiMAC’s “Association” with the Global Lubricants Market. This article presents the Gambill and Refutas methods, which are commonly used in petroleum refining for predicting the viscosity of oil blends. Your IP: 89.46.7.7 alpha = [x1 * (1 - beta)] / [ (1 - x1) * beta] The kinematic viscosity of the mixture can then be estimated using the viscosity blending number of the mixture using the equation below. Gambill (1959) proposed the following equation for estimating the kinematic viscosity of a two liquid mixture. \text{VBN}_{\text{mixture}} the viscosity of the mixture may then be calculated as shown previously. The calculator on this site is for informative purposes only and we make no claims as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of the results produced by our calculators. If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices. Mixing different viscosity engine oil okay so i checked my oil this morning to find that i am very low on oil ( not even showing on the dipstick ) and i will not be able to go buy more 5w40 which is currently in my car however i do have a lot of 5w30 from a previous car so i was wondering if i used the 5w30 in combination would cause any mechanical problems Some Excel features can't be displayed in Google Sheets and will be dropped if you make changes. x1 is the fraction of Oil 1. Viscosity Calculator. This article presents the Gambill and Refutas methods, which are commonly used in petroleum refining for predicting the viscosity of oil blends. As the … The calculations for mixing any two viscosities of oil to obtain a specific viscosity.Note: You should only mix oils of the same brand and formulation, Note the viscosities of of two oils and the percentage of the first oil you plan on using.