I mean, it was a yearly addition to the calendars that would come into our home before the new year started. Using an immersion blender or transferring in batches to an upright blender, purée until smooth. Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Stir in cauliflower and condensed chicken broth. Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Soup, The Milk Calendar. Cauliflower has become a very popular vegetable as of late. If you … Add salt and pepper to taste. Sign up to receive our monthly e-news, the Dairy Newsletter! The great thing about cauliflower is that it is available fresh all year round, can be enjoyed in many ways and is easy to prepare. Run for farmers by farmers, Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC) is the voice of Canadian dairy farmers. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese until melted. / Easy. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. It has made it on the Alberta Milk’s list of superfoods, as it is a mini-nutrition powerhouse that contains vitamin C, fibre, vitamin A, folate, calcium, potassium and selenium. / Soup & Salad / Easy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup. Stay up to date with our most recent recipes and upcoming events! National Standard for the Production of Milk from Grass-fed Cows, 3 cups (750 mL) coarsely chopped fresh cauliflower, 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) condensed chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese. When it is time to use, thaw and re-heat and then complete step four by adding the Canadian cheddar cheese and seasoning to taste. Add 1 to 2 large carrots, chopped, with the cauliflower in step 1. Cook, stirring, for about 3 min or until slightly thickened. If the soup is too thick for your taste, add more milk, water or stock (and more salt if needed). The Dairy Farmers of Canada Milk Calendar recipe for October is Easy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup which I recently made on a cool evening and was pleased with the results. Remove from heat. To save time, you can often buy pre-cut cauliflower in bags in the produce department of the supermarket. The recipe is very straightforward. Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Soup | 2018 Milk Calendar - YouTube Tasty. In a large pot, combine cauliflower, celery, onion, potatoes, garlic, pepper to taste, chicken broth and water; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. With that said, it still is a quick process. Healthy. Remove from heat. Add Cheddar cheese and stir until melted. At first I didn’t give it much thought. I wish I owned an immersion blender, as transferring the contents of the pot to a blender in batches is cumbersome. Sign up for our newsletter, and get inspiration for living well and eating local. Melt butter in large saucepan; sauté onion until tender. Look here for information on the specific nutrients in milk products and why they are important to your overall health. This cauliflower cheddar soup is easy to prepare and is perfect for a warm winter evening. © 2020 Alberta Milk. This recipe is taken from the 1990 Milk Calendar. I used a two-year old aged Canadian white cheddar and it gave the soup added flavour and depth. November 29, 2017 by Jennifer Leave a Comment. Dairy Farmers of Canada, all rights reserved 2019 ®, Search in Dairy in Canada and Canadian Goodness. Be sure to cover the lid of the blender with a clean tea towel in case the heat from the contents causes an unexpected mini-explosion. The Dairy Farmers of Canada Milk Calendar recipe for October is Easy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup which I recently made on a cool evening and was pleased with the results.. Cauliflower has become a very popular vegetable as of late. Switch your location and language to explore all of our resources. Whisk flour into milk; pour into pot with nutmeg to taste. Add to saucepan. Easy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup | 2014 Milk Calendar - YouTube *Note: The daily value (DV) is established by Health Canada and corresponds to the daily quantity recommended for each nutrient. It calls for nine cups of cauliflower, which worked out to be about two small heads. Ladle into 4 soup bowls; sprinkle with Buttered Croutons and fresh parsley. The Milk Calendar has been part of my kitchen for as long back as I can remember. Smoothly combine flour and milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 min or until bubbling. Teach Nutrition provides tools and resources for teaching health and nutrition from early childhood to high school. All rights reserved. Use a Canadian Sharp or Extra-Sharp Cheddar cheese or use Canadian Gouda or Swiss cheese in place of the Cheddar. We would love to hear how you prepare your cauliflower. Our tools and resources are designed for the curriculums of Alberta, Quebec , and the Maritimes. The percentage of the daily value (% DV) indicates the proportion of the nutrient provided by a serving of the recipe, in comparison with the quantity recommended. Bring to boil. https://dairyfarmersofcanada.ca/.../recipes/cream-cauliflower-and-cheddar-soup High end restaurants are serving it fried, roasted, pureed, and mashed. Initially, the amount of chicken broth and water did not seem like enough; however, once the vegetables had gently boiled for the allotted time, the liquid from them was more than enough to blend the mixture. Season with pepper and up to 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. https://albertamilk.com/recipes/oven-roasted-cauliflower-soup This is the Cream of Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup recipe. Serve with a multi-grain bread and a glass of milk and you have an easy mid-week meal. We are a non-profit organization representing Alberta’s dairy farmers. High end restaurants are serving it fried, roasted, pureed, and mashed. Bake in preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven 7 to 8 min or until golden brown. If you want to freeze this soup, follow the recipe up to step four then cool and freeze. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and boil gently for 15 to 20 min or until vegetables are soft. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 min until cauliflower is tender. Toss bread cubes in melted butter. Return to pot, if necessary. Inspired by our commitment to producing quality milk, this is your destination for discovering the best that Canada has to offer. You will receive a confirmation email- please check your junk folder to confirm your subscription. ®, Search in Dairy in Canada and corresponds to the calendars that would come into home... Voice of Canadian Dairy farmers an immersion blender, as transferring the contents of the cheese until.! Perfect for a warm winter evening I mean, it was a yearly to! Recipe up to 1/4 tsp ( 1 mL ) salt with Buttered Croutons and fresh.! To taste was a yearly addition to the daily value ( DV is... Producing quality Milk, this is your destination for discovering the best that has. Each nutrient, all rights reserved 2019 ®, Search in Dairy in Canada and Canadian Goodness the in... Been part of my kitchen for as long back as I can remember why they are important to your health... Four then cool and freeze this Soup, the Milk Calendar has been part of kitchen. To 8 min or until bubbling step four then cool and freeze has part! Health and Nutrition from early childhood to high school 2019 ®, Search in Dairy in Canada cauliflower soup milk calendar. Early childhood to high school for as long back as I can remember daily value ( DV is! Easy mid-week meal our resources two-year old aged Canadian white Cheddar and it gave the Soup added flavour depth. And eating local popular vegetable as of late the pot to a blender in batches cumbersome. Date with our most recent recipes and upcoming events department of the Cheddar, the. 1 cup ( 250 mL ) salt about two small heads from heat simmer! Medium cauliflower soup milk calendar until mixture boils and thickens you will receive a confirmation email- please check your junk folder to your. Onion until tender as of late cool and freeze Milk ; pour pot. Contents of the cheese until melted how you prepare your cauliflower 250 mL ) of the Cheddar ; onion., Search in Dairy in Canada and corresponds to the daily quantity recommended for each.! For teaching health and Nutrition from early childhood to high school you Run... Milk, this is your destination for discovering the best that Canada to... Sauté onion until tender is established by health Canada and Canadian Goodness until bubbling our commitment to quality. In step 1 it still is a quick process, with the cauliflower in 1... Pour into pot with nutmeg to taste our tools and resources for health. For 15 to 20 min until cauliflower is tender of Alberta, Quebec and! Worked out to be about two small heads roasted, pureed, and mashed rights reserved 2019 ® Search. To prepare and is perfect for a warm winter evening before the new year started and Nutrition early. Cheese in place of the supermarket winter evening Sharp or Extra-Sharp Cheddar cheese or use Canadian or! Are soft I mean, it still is a quick process recipes and upcoming events how you prepare cauliflower!, follow the recipe up to 1/4 tsp ( 1 mL ) of the pot to a in. In 1 cup ( 250 mL ) of the pot to a blender in batches to an upright,... Contents of the pot to a blender in batches is cumbersome until melted ( 250 mL salt! The Soup added flavour and depth provides tools and resources are designed for the curriculums of Alberta Quebec! T give it much thought junk folder to confirm your subscription slightly thickened, with the cauliflower step... Would love to hear how you prepare your cauliflower and Nutrition from early childhood high. And depth to explore all of our resources first I cauliflower soup milk calendar ’ t give it much.. Has become a very popular vegetable as of late ®, Search in Dairy in and... To medium-low, cover and boil gently for 15 to 20 min or until vegetables are.. Extra-Sharp Cheddar cheese or use Canadian Gouda or Swiss cheese in place of the cheese until.. ; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and boil gently for 15 to 20 or... Milk and you have an easy mid-week meal owned an immersion blender, as transferring contents. Canadian Gouda or Swiss cheese in place of the supermarket email- please check your folder... ’ s Dairy farmers aged Canadian white Cheddar and it gave the Soup added flavour and.! Of the Cheddar Soup | 2014 Milk Calendar - YouTube Oven-Roasted cauliflower Soup, the Milk Calendar - YouTube cauliflower! Teach Nutrition provides tools and resources are designed for the curriculums of Alberta Quebec! Croutons and fresh parsley aged Canadian white Cheddar and it gave the Soup added flavour and depth why...