I'm totally in love with this new series and can't wait for more posts! I've never had shakshuka before, but baked eggs in tomato sauce is always a winner. What a fantastic one pot meal, I have made a similar Mexican meal called huevos rancheros with eggs cooked in a tomato and bean sauce. It's super cost efficient and healthy but it tastes like heaven. Now I can start saving my money for the book ;). just a teeeeeny note: I think you meant to replace the 'xxx' ml in the tomato part of the ingredients with a real amount. 2 red and 2 yellow peppers, cored and cut into 2cm strips One advice is to purée leftovers. :) ENJOY! Meanwhile, stir the cumin into the yoghurt, season to taste, loosen with a splash of lemon juice Thank you for sharing this! If you can't fint it in a bookstore, I know that you can order it to Belgium through. Remove the lid, sprinkle with salt, pepper, cotija, avocado, jalapeño and cilantro. Healthy Eating on a Budget – Part 2 (Click here for part 1). What a community! But one thing I have been struggling with is to use up foods as fresh chilli, fresh ginger and fresh herbs, and since we prefer the fresh versions of these I often end up buying new fresh portions and throwing the sad looking leftovers. Sometimes I’ll also add feta or goat cheese when I add the eggs, as Melissa Clark suggests. Fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the leeks are soft. Finally, a half-batch of this recipe is perfect for two, and rather than using individual skillets, I usually use one skillet that will hold four eggs. It should be potent and flavorful. They asked us to share a week of vegetarian recipes in support of Earth Hour. Once the butter starts to foam, add the leeks, ½ teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper. Chard is a good another green in shakshuka as Sarah Copeland suggests in this New York Times recipe. Sometimes we also do a greener Shakshuka, where we replace canned tomatoes for fresh and use more kale and fresh herbs. Easy and delicious! My and my boyfriend rarely throws anything away since it makes both of us sad to waste food. I haven't made shakshuka before but I've resolved to after reading this post! 1 yellow onion Serve with a few leaves fresh basil and whole grain brown bread or pita. ½ tsp cumin seeds Stir-fried leafy greens such as kale, spinach or lettuce + a stir fried protein is my go-to meal for a cheap, flavorful and super quick dinner on week nights. Yes, 2 x 400g/400ml/14oz cans whole tomatoes. Add the chard leaves, in batches, adding more as they wilt, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until completely wilted, 3 to 5 minutes more. For information about COVID-19 in South Africa, visit the government’s portal: Woolworths is committed to sustainability via our good business journey. Health food stores can be really costly, Asian and international food markets can have bigger and cheaper bags of beans, quinoa ect. Sprinkle with salt, cover and cook very gently for 10-12 minutes, until the egg just sets. What kind of chili do you use? Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 5 more minutes, until the egg whites have set. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. I love everything you do! Happens to me on my blog all the time!). Shakshuka, the famous North African skillet egg dish, is traditionally made with chunky, spiced tomato sauce. 1. Salt and pepper Sprinkle with coriander and serve with chunky white bread. You can prepare this mix in advance. Sini, This is one of my favourite ways to cook and eat eggs, so simple and fulfilling. Login. I’ve made it several times and it’s delicious. Made this shakshuka last weekend. In fact, the flavors of the already-roasted peppers and tomatoes are even richer than the flavors of the fresh versions. All rights strictly reserved. Add the peppers, sugar, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and two tablespoons of coriander, and cook on high heat to get a nice color. Add bell pepper, cumin and paprika and cook for another couple of minutes. Sometimes we also do a greener Shakshuka, where we replace canned tomatoes for fresh and use more kale and fresh herbs. They're much cheaper that way. Two, save old vegetable scraps, like the ends of carrots and parsley stems, in the freezer, and when you're cooking dried beans add in the scraps. Love the blog -- keep up the gorgeous work! I always have a bit of this a bit of that, products that I bought for a special recipe but didn’t need to use everything. We bet some of you have heard of Shakshuka before, but if you haven’t, you are in for a treat. And I'm a big lover of shakshuka :). They asked us to share a week of vegetarian recipes in support of Earth Hour. My first tip would be to take time to make a “market inquiry”, because prices change a lot between shops or products. Shakshuka is at it's simplest cooked in its classic version, but it's also a dish open to experimentation. Hope you like it and thanks for letting us know! Eggs are slowly cooked in a cumin flavored tomato sauce and it all becomes a sweet, spicy and protein packed one-pot-dinner that you eat with a piece of rye on the side. Both chilli and ginger can be grated directly from the freezer and into dishes or as garnish on meals or even desserts (imagine chocolate cups with a sprinkle of fresh finely grated chilli) - and since frozen herbs lose their crunch, they will be perfect for pesto fusions or to use in stews to add lots of flavour! You could probably do this with many soups to add protein instead of using meat... Looks delicious! Try riffing on the classic with a green shakshuka made with spinach, shakshuka with feta, humshuka (topped with hummus) and shakshuka with aubergine instead of peppers. Thanks for the budget friendly recipe! But what I love most about shakshuka is its versatility; you can pretty much sauté any vegetable medley, crack eggs over it, and it will be delicious. Loving your eating healthy on a budget series ! HEEEY! - keep it simple, stupid (sexy, or whatever you want that last 's' to be). I'm making some version of this recipe now but it was hard to follow...no quantities for paprika or water, tells you to add the paprika twice, and never says when to add the pepper. This is the second post in our new series; Healthy Eating on a Budget. I made plum and amontilado jam last weekend (sounds odd adding sherry to plum jam but it is sublime) and I couldn’t get organic plums so I used the supermarket basic ones and it made very good jam and despite not being organic a lot better than all the additives in commercial jam! Up to 250ml water This recipe is a real darling of ours. Finely chop onion, garlic and bell pepper. (Sorry to be such a Debbie downer but I thought you'd like to know). 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped Hi Elien, I think the Dutch edition is also available in Belgium. Elien, You can often buy fresh and dry produce for less than what you’d pay at the super market. To add to the list you have to put together, I keep aside a small piece of each vegetable I use each day, and at the end of the week make a dish with all the 'kept aside' vegetables together; saves one day's worth vegetables. Local farmers’ markets and ethnic stores are worth visiting too. /David. Everything from berry labneh and green shakshuka to mezze spreads with muhammara and hummus. I agree with Vera on growing some of your own things. And Oh My Gosh in Dutch!! This version is made with a few changes to the classic-style shakshuka. I drizzle a bit of toasted sesame oil over it for an unexpected flavor hit, it's amazing :) 4-6 free-range eggs, depending on how many that can fit in your skillet. What a wonderful surprise. it would be closer to tradition to press the tomatoes with the back of a spoon while cooking to create your sauce. I live in a city and just started working and sometimes it's hard to get what I want when it's too expensive. You also shared so many great budget-tips of your own in the comment section. Your idea of pureeing the kale and tomatoes together, I am going to borrow every time I make tomato sauce for any dish.Thank you! I actually became a vegetarian because I'm super uncomfortable with factory farming and I couldn't afford meat that wasn't factory farmed. My favourite way of saving money is making things on my own eg. Oops! It's all fixed know (I hope). In a large saucepan, dry-roast the cumin on high heat for two minutes. Now, let’s get cooking! Skall definitivt testas! The shakshuka recipe I most often follow is from Ottolenghi’s Plenty (2010). Så bra tips! it also decreases any chance if bitterness. Then we have to make like the bees, take a little of everything in the different places (it is easy in a short area). I’ve substituted kale and collards for the spinach in this Ottolenghi recipe and also used goat cheese instead of feta, and all are tasty. In the winter, using already-roasted peppers and tomatoes, I sauté the onions until they are very soft before adding the peppers, tomatoes and other spices and cooking them until the flavors blend. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes, adding enough water to keep it the consistency of a pasta sauce. Meanwhile place kale and tomatoes in a food processor or blender and process until you reach the consistency of a finely chopped tomato sauce. Delicious! What a list! 1 tsp paprika I love your recipes, your lifestyle, the way you 2 learn Elsa about healthy cooking and healthy eating, and so much more!