But never again were they in such profusion; this terrace was the well-head, the primal source whence beauty gushed out to water the earth.”. The happiness of that afternoon was already fixed in her mind, and always would the scent of freesia recall it to her mental sight …”, — Hugh De Sélincourt, The Way Things Happen. “Like a fist if a fist could sing,” wrote poet Cornelius Eady about the white gardenias famously worn by the legendary jazz singer Billie Holiday. Check for insects. that odor in the world? Narcissus have a huge root mass and won’t like anything shallow, which often results in the plants falling over with the weight of their own blooms, so go deep – 20cm or so. Give your email id and we'll send your password by email. Most sweet violets are hardy, carpeting perennials which will grow happily in part to full shade, in the spring. Certainly, there are also plants and flowers that, well, stink. drifts through the window. While some people can’t get enough of their heady fragrance, to others they smell like a cross between dirty socks and cat pee. Paper white Narcissus is the commonly forced bulb, because it is so easy and the flowers are so pretty. Everyone finds the scent pleasing, and most people do, the scent will add to the spring-like atmosphere. …They smelt the drifting scent of honeysuckle, and the delicious smell of wild thyme crushed under their bodies. Gardenias are seductive and unapologetic, in their languorous sprawl of milky petals, but most especially in their fragrance. The fragrant flowers bloom within about two to three weeks of planting for almost instant gratification. With more than 150 species and thousands of hybrids available,  you can choose a rose in nearly any color and shape, and now, fragrance. In sunny lane and wood. It smells of every happy thing They take longer in cooler rooms, so one way to stagger blooming is by keeping some in a cooler space until you want them to flower. If you have a chance to select bulbs choose the fattest ones as these often have two stems per bulb. Paperwhites can smell sweet -- or stink Posted Nov 4, 2018 at 2:00 AM Even though I love spending time out in the garden in fall and winter, I still crave having flowering plants around me. The evergreen plant originates in Asia where their bitter berry-like fruits have been used in traditional medicine for centuries. Listed below are some of the most delightfully scented flowers I know; they are easily cultivated, and most are suitable to growing zones 4 to 10. Its simple! “She did not answer. T he scent of paperwhite narcissus surpasses heady into something almost narcotic. Upon entering my grandmother’s enormous front hall at Christmastime, I would shut my eyes and breathe deeply. Dirr is a renowned horticulturalist whose love for the viburnum is shared by everyone whose garden is graced by the plant or who has passed by such a garden, enjoying its perfume. Its balmy essence breathes. Ziva is a reliable strain that is imported from Israel. The flowers have therefore earned their vanity! For her wedding to Prince Rainier III of Monaco, Grace Kelly carried a bouquet of Lilies of the Valley…. Add mulch around the bed to make it more attractive, and to keep the weeds down. Then she drank a deep draught of the scent. A bouquet of freesias is so full of color and grace it resembles the gathering of fairies in The Sleeping Beauty ballet. Freesias come in a wide variety of colors, bold and soft alike. They smell of summer and of happiness. They require fertilizer and food and resent root disturbance; however, the flowers are well worth the extra TLC. And it smells like spring; cool but sunny, sweet but slightly tangy like an orange lollipop. They thrive in damp, well-drained ground. Some bloom in petal clusters, others with bold individual blossoms. The clustered fruity flowers look like tiny, hanging lanterns with long, droopy stamens. The stem curves like the neck of a dancer so the flowers face the sky. And they smell delicious! Society has been over-rosed. All Rights Reserved, There is fossil evidence that roses grew in the wild 35 million years ago. Most varieties prefer cooler climates, in zones 4-8, but there are more than 400 species, one for everyone and everywhere. “A garden without a viburnum is akin to life without music and art.”, —Michael Dirr, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants. Nazareth has soft yellow petals, a bright yellow cup and a moderately musky fragrance. Paperwhites, or paperwhite narcissus, provide flowers with a strong, sweet smell. … She touched the big, pallid flowers on their petals, then shivered. The fragrance of honeysuckle evokes a barefooted walk on a sultry afternoon, returning from the beach, salty and sunburned and utterly content. In our climate, your best bet is to grow them inside. Some grow on trees in the tropics, or on shrubs or vines, or grow close to the earth as compact blossoming plants. Sign up for our e-mail and be the first who know our special offers! It blooms in 3 weeks on 16-20 inch stems. Like a pine forest in the summer rain, the house was redolent with deeply spicy, green balsam, but it was softened with the fresh sweetness of paperwhites, like a gentle welcoming smile. … And the scent of mock orange Simply put, sweet-smelling flowers make us happy! In gardens, the flower grows for several weeks from early to mid-spring in zones 2-9. I’m not sure I’d want to be trapped in a room stuffed with them, but a delicate bowl of the thin white blooms is quite something to come home to in the darker days of winter. They have a lovely fragrance, too. Plant from now to December and they will magically bloom six weeks later in a room that is about 21C. It is a member of the daffodil family, but looks much more delicate than the big yellow trumpet daffodils you can see in the spring yards. The flowers emanate a distinct but unpretentious aroma, like sweet iced tea with lemon. Paperwhites, Narcissus papyraceus, are native to Mediterranean areas from northern Africa to southern Spain and southern France, where they are most likely to be found growing in grassy, cultivated land and stony places – free-draining, sunny spots. This viburnum is a deciduous shrub, with dark pink buds that open to globe-like clusters of tiny white flowers.