Luke 16:10-12 advise us to show wisdom and trustworthiness in how we handle money (a little thing) for if we cannot do that, how shall we be wise and trustworthy in the kingdom of God (a big thing)? 27Then you should have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. The rent that was to be paid represents faith, obedience, and fruitfulness in God's kingdom. the preacher, the news, your friends…? ¶34When the season for fruit drew near, The master sent his slaves to the tenants in order to get his fruit. Saving faith inevitably and necessarily results in a life of holiness and good deeds. said, I will not” and then regretted it and did what the father asked an unstable foundation, which cannot endure choose not to obey - it’s too hard, you look. If you fall down on a large rock, it may break your skin or bone. They like the love and fellowship of the body. We also observe in these parables, themes 1 and 2, namely the mercy and severity of God. Instead, his words were spoken directly from his heart to the hearts of his listeners. A game with cards illustrating the story of Jesus parable about a father and his two sons being asked to work in the vineyard. I believe that this teaching rests on a mistaken notion of the nature of saving faith and that it gives false assurance to many who think they are Christians, but are not truly saved. Those who do not submit to the lordship of Jesus have good cause to question whether they are truly Christians. Those that Tap the title above, next to the arrow, to go to that lesson with a link back to this page. However Jesus provides no less than four morals to the parable. God knew their selfish motives, their lustful thoughts, and their greedy desires. However, because of incognizance and delusion, we keep following this cycle. There are only two final results: the one house stands, while the other house falls. One stood firm, the other was a shambles. Thus Jesus is showing us that …. a. Those who are unrighteous when entrusted with money, would be unrighteous in the kingdom of God. That is something far beyond anything we deserve, yet to receive it we are expected to make the most of our present stewardship. James also challenges us to hear and do 30And throw the worthless slave outside into the darkness. Jesus is Lord!” But, they were sadly deceived. God’s will, Js 2:22. is the author of salvation for those who The person who has built his life on obedience to Jesus Christ has a solid foundation that will carry him through both the floods of this life and the future judgment. In light of that forecast, now is the time to check your foundation. a. And, of course, there is the steady, relentless approach of our own death. The riverbed was dry. Thus Jesus is not teaching that we must achieve sinless perfection in order to enter His kingdom. Further, there are the floods of temptation that come at us from the world, the flesh, and the devil. In the parallel in Matthew 7:21, Jesus says, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven.” He goes on to cite examples of those who even have done impressive things in His name, but who will be rejected at the gate of heaven because they also practiced lawlessness. www.simplybible.com Copyright © Ron Graham 2001,2004, "You reap where you do not sow, and gather where you scatter no seed", "I reap where I did not sow and gather where I. ¶“1Jesus also said to the disciples, "There was a rich man who had a manager, and charges were brought to the rich man that this manager was wasting the rich man’s possessions. 7:24-25. b. we are blessed, Js 1:25. What motivates their Christian service is not the glory of the Savior who gave Himself for them. There are the trials that we all face—disappointments, setbacks, sickness, loss of loved ones, the loss of a job, being let down by family members or friends, etc. Milgram's work might not hold the answers to what makes … We might have the best intentions with our promises of faithfulness, but promised obedience isn't necessarily obedience. Matthew 21:40-41 describe the wrath of the vineyard owner. Are Jesus provides a question after a parable (as in Is 5:3-4; Mt 21:40). Could there be Before the flood, both houses would look the same to the casual observer, but there was a vast difference between them after the flood hit. ¶45When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard the parables of Jesus, they could see that he was speaking about them. I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. It may be an enticement to cheat on an exam in school, to steal, to indulge in immorality, to set our minds on the fleeting pleasures of riches. Not even the most devoted Christian loves God all the time with every fiber of his being. foundation - the words of Jesus, Mt Jesus used two sons, one blatantly disrespectful but then repentant and obedient, and one with right words and wrong actions, to illustrate His point. When you read a psalm that says, “Praise the Lord and sing for joy,” you ask yourself, “Is my mind filled with praise to God and joy in Him, or am I marked by grumbling and complaining?” You apply Scripture to your life. The owner-investor is God, and the vineyard is his kingdom. We carry out many activities, and develop many affixments to this life. The geography and climate of Palestine is much like that of Arizona, subject to sudden flash floods. He did not even bother to arrange an interest-bearing deposit at the bank for his master’s benefit. Are not riches, power, prestige…  35But the tenants seized his slaves. Tap the title above, next to the arrow, to go to that lesson with a link back to this page. This represents Instead he chose to be a poor steward indeed, doing as little as he could with that treasure, short of throwing it into the rubbish bin. Those who may have fooled everyone on earth will not fool God in heaven. You can put in a custom masonry fireplace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Only God is Lord.” Rather, He assumes that He has the rightful authority to be Lord. This is what the Buddha taught: an art of living. ¶8The master commended the unrighteous manager for his shrewdness. Those who promote this teaching mistakenly think that they are preserving the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith, apart from human works. If a person claims to be saved, but has no hunger for God’s Word, no growing hatred of sin, and no growth in godly living, he needs to examine whether he is truly in the faith (2 Cor. Second, you must hear Jesus’ words. It may seem like obedience is hard, but to obey is best; … This implies a personal, one-to-one relationship between Jesus and you. The son who The flood refers both to the trials of this life as well as to the flood of future judgment when we all must stand before God. This implies growing in your knowledge and understanding of His teaching as revealed in the Bible. Few of us thought, “Wouldn’t it be great to win all that money so that I could give it all to the Lord’s work!”. The one who believes in Jesus has eternal life (John 3:16). When these inevitable temptations come, they will sweep away any profession of faith that you have made. 23His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. This saying applies to someone who receives a kingdom or an estate and takes it over, being granted absolute ownership and authority over it. It is not optional because it is the true test of professing Christ; it is not optional because it is the only foundation that will withstand the tests of time and eternity. He goes to the trouble of digging deep into the soil until he hits bedrock. 9And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings. Many who quote Ephesians 2:8-9, that we are saved by grace through faith, not as a result of works, fail to go on to quote verse 10: “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Those who quote John 3:16 fail to go on to John 3:36, which states, “He who believes the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”. Thus obedience to Jesus as Lord is not just an option for some who want to be more committed. If you’ve ever done home improvement projects, you’ve come across situations where the previous owner “fixed” a problem by doing it the easy way, but it wasn’t right.