Set aside for 5 minutes. Mix ground beef with rice, 1/2 cup of water, chopped onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. To avoid the tomato sauce sticking and burning to the bottom of the Dutch oven ensure the heat is not too high or place the Dutch oven on a trivet over the heat. Place them in an ungreased 2-quart shallow baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with the rice, the water, chopped onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir while the sauce heats through. Shape … Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes. All rights reserved. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the internal temp reads 165F. 'Aunt Bee' has been married to the love of her life for 15 years! Place the meatballs in a 6-quart crockpot and cover with the sauce. amzn_assoc_linkid = "106fca75a68805b1f30b46edeb754873"; Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 15 minutes and serve. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes more. In a glass or stainless steel, bowl combine ground beef, rice, egg, diced onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and the stock cube or stock powder. Mom used to make these as a kid but I never remember them being this amazing! So nice to have recipes the whole family loves. Please add widgets to this widgetized area ("Side Panel Section") in Appearance > Widgets. Use a tablespoon or small cookie scoop to help make them uniform in size. If you simmered this recipe in a saucepan or other cooking pot over a cooktop – they would stick and the rice inside the meatballs would not be soft.eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'ovenspot_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_1',107,'0','0'])); This hearty recipe does not need any accompaniment and can be served as is. My porcupine meatballs are made predominately from pantry items. 1/4 cup finely chopped onion. square baking dish. If you don’t have wild grain rice, you can use cooked long grain white or brown rice. Add meatballs to brown them off. Lemon-Blueberry Ricotta-Buttermilk Pancakes. I use a cast-iron Dutch oven for outdoor cooking as well as my enamel Dutch ovens for cooking at home. Add the tomato sauce ingredients to the skillet and bring the mixture to a simmer. Keywords: porcupine meatballs oven, what to serve with porcupine meatballs, old fashioned porcupine meatballs, 4-generation meatballs, porcupine meatballs with tomato soup, porcupine meatballs crockpot, crockpot porcupine meatballs. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Add the panade mixture (milk and bread) to the bowl. If you want to freeze them after they are baked, allow them to cool completely. We love these meatballs at our house they are a firm family favorite. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. I hate crunchy rice. If you do not confirm it, you won't receive my newsletters. In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. I found that using a panade (milk bread) helps produce the tenderest meatballs. Make the sauce by mixing together the tomato sauce, the water, and Worcestershire sauce in a measuring cup or bowl. *SPOILER ALERT*  No Porcupines were harmed in the making of these Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs . Nutritional details are calculated from the ingredients used in this recipe. Rustle up a famous American classic for the family tonight. Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Egg Cookies. I think that’s where most of my passion comes from. You should calculate nutritional values based on ingredients you have access to. 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef. To help caramelize and thicken up the sauce, remove the foil and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes or until the internal meatball temp reaches 165F. Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes. Long Grain Rice – You will have to cook it as I do not use raw rice in my meatballs. 1 serving. When fully combined use a tablespoon and form your meatballs. Once the bread has soaked, add the bread and any milk to the bowl of meat. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Repeat until all of the meatballs are shaped and in a pan. To reheat either microwave, thaw in the fridge and then reheat in the oven at 350F until warmed through. This recipe is created out of simple ingredients that we had on hand. My porcupine meatballs are made predominately from pantry items. This site requires JavaScript. We just LOVE Porcupine Meatballs. Just take that out the night before you go to make your meatballs as you want the sauce thawed. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "thekitcwhis-20"; Well okay, that and using a cookie scoop! With this cookbook, you’re never more than a few steps away from a down home dinner. Because I know you guys love to take a recipe and put your spins on them let me give some tips on substitutions. I'm Lori, The Kitchen Whisperer®! Place your shaped meatballs in your baking dish and pour the sauce all over. Now it's time to cook the meatballs. Try something different this Christmas and offer up a classic Italian Christmas feast. Shape the ground beef mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. A multi-generation meatball recipe from my family to yours. Enameled cast-iron Dutch – my all-time favorite, Seasoned cast-iron Dutch oven – my all-time favorite, 1 beef stock cube or 2 teaspoons of powdered beef stock, 2 to 3 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil for frying. Directions. Place the meatballs in a 3-4 quart baking dish or 9×13” baking pan. Can they be made without the wine? I'm so happy you saved the porcupines!! Add meatballs to brown them off. When it comes to creating recipes, I much rather prefer to make foods that I grew up on and ones that I can connect with than the lastest insane trend out there. Leaving enough room to be able to turn them around - remove when browned. For a richer and chunkier sauce, replace the tomato sauce and water with a 14 1/2-ounce can of diced tomatoes and a 10 3/4-ounce can of condensed tomato soup. Last Friday, I made some of my family’s favorite foods! Brandi Burgess A.K.A. Place in a freezer-safe container, mark the outside what they are. Looking for other amazing meatball recipes? I'm so happy you are joining the TKW Family! Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Return meatballs the Dutch oven gently spoon sauce over the balls. 3 Cover and bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes. Seriously, that’s the best tip. 2/3 cup long-grain rice, uncooked. Food, cooking/baking, and creating recipes have to have more than just an awesome taste. They are so-named because once cooked the rice sticks out of the meatball looking a bit like porcupine quills. Check out the way I prepare the perfect fluffy rice every time in my article here in a cast-iron Dutch oven.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'ovenspot_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_6',108,'0','0'])); Although this recipe has a tomato base it definitely does not taste like Italian Meat Balls – so why not experiment and turn this recipe into Italian – Porcupine Meatballs. Sign up to receive delicious recipes, kitchen tips and weekly menus (bacon, pizza, oh my!) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Place in a Pam sprayed 13x9 Pyrex dish. I love dishes like this that I can make in advance and just chuck in the oven when needed! They look fantastic. Pour the sauce over the porcupine meatballs, cover the baking dish tightly with foil, and bake the … WOO HOO! 1 teaspoon seasoned salt. I did tweak it quite a bit to get it where I find it to be perfected. The mixture should be wet and soft but when you form a meatball it should hold the shape. Place in a Pam sprayed 13x9 Pyrex dish. But that doesn't mean they are eating take out and fast food! Form into meatballs. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over meatballs. Bed of baby spinach (the spinach wilts and mushes into the sauce – YUM). Aunt Bee LOVES cooking for her family and sharing her families favorite TRIED AND TRUE recipes with her friends, family and website readers from all over the world! straight to your inbox. I will definitely try them soon! If you want to freeze them raw, once the meatballs are shaped, place the baking pan in the freezer for at least an hour. Porcupine meatballs are an old-fashioned favorite, developed during the depression to stretch the amount of ground meat. I have never had them, must try! amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual";