He is with us in the valley of the shadow of death and when we pass through the deep, dark waters. Application: We should not want to spend any time or thought to develop any kind of relationship with anyone or anything which leads away from God. 6) Now let's dig deeper on the meaning of this Greek word "prototokos" by clicking here for the search engine for Vine's NT Greek Lexicon. Right, left, an upper and below. READ: PSALM 139:13-16 QUESTION: Since God made us and is all-knowing and ever-present, what is the logical conclusion? ** MORE INTERPRETATIVE: For the most objective, non-biased and "pure" inductive study, do not use paraphrased versions as your primary resource for they provide no way to determine whether or not the translator's interpretation of the original Greek and Hebrew is accurate. Then we note that the interpretation is given by the inspired Scripture — this binding was for a period of time—one thousand years—and that the purpose of this binding was that Satan should no longer deceive the nations. and it shall be done for you." Notes throughout the Psalms give additional indications of conscious arrangement. 18If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. (a will). Thus if one understands Revelation 20 as does this respected scholar, there is no chronological system whatever to Revelation 20. The question then is what does "first-born" mean or can this word have more than one meaning in Scripture? Psalm 139:14 – I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. A: Because we know how imperfect are the comings, goings, and thoughts of our life; and even so, He is STILL with us. When it is hungry it moos, and when it says nothing it is because its inside is all filled up with grass.". If you read all the cross references, you probably noticed that not every cross reference in the TSK yields relevant insights. In Psalm 139:13-18, we find David proclaiming God’s omnipotence, meaning that He is the all-powerful One. As you observed above from the context, prototokos cannot refer to a literal first born in a family ,but instead must refer to the one who has "priority to and pre-eminence over". You are in the process of learning the inductive Bible study method and the observation worksheet gives you the "freedom" to make some mistakes without permanently marking your Bible. If you are interested in prophecy, I would strongly encourage you to take the excellent four part Precept Ministries International inductive study on the Revelation. He does not want to spend any time or thought or develop any kind of relationship with anyone or anything that leads away from God. (See also Consulting a conservative commentary). David continues in Psalm 139:9-10 by saying if he dwells “in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me and your right hand shall hold me.” Let us recall a story in history to reflect upon this. If we manage to dodge Him in this life, we must still stand exposed before Him on that fearful day of judgment. Enter Col 1:15 and click on the underlined word "first-born" which pops up a window with the Greek word prototokos with a brief definition that is not very helpful but at least now you know the Greek word. God’s knowledge is so extensive that even before our thoughts are brought together coherently or expressed in words, He knows what they will be and understands them! And laid Your hand upon me. Monday, February 19, 2018. Now read the verse with its "neighbors" in context: Colossians 1:15 "And He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation. In spite of this five-book division, the Psalter was clearly thought of as a whole, with an introduction (Ps 1-2) and a conclusion (Ps 146-150). Abiding. What it’s saying is that when you discipline somebody, when you put somebody out of the church, and his sin has been confirmed by two or three witnesses, Christ said that He is in the midst. Finally, note that 1John 5:14 adds another factor favoring affirmative answer to prayer. Note: the Jehovah's Witnesses own translation also reads this way and can be used to illustrate why their teaching on Colossians 1:15 is not true). Beyond this microscopic attention of the Lord, He is also powerful at the telescopic level. Refer also to the Verse by Verse Commentary notes on Colossians 1:15 this website. We see from Psalm 139:7-10 that David is sure that not even death, being in heaven nor being in hell can hide him from God. He also teaches his followers to deny themselves and take up their crosses to follow him. The common suggestions that it calls for a brief musical interlude or for a brief liturgical response by the congregation are plausible but unproven (the former may be supported by the Septuagint rendering). In Psalm 139:2-6, David tells us the extent to which God knows us, speaking of our thoughts, actions, and words. But it is more than a treasury of prayers and hymns for liturgical and private use on chosen occasions. Remember God is Spirit. Don't forget to interrogate each figure of speech with the 5W and H type questions. Jan 22, 2018 - Many people think that keeping a journal is a waste of time. It is available in computer format [Logos, Wordsearch and Biblesoft] or in the single volume book), To abide in Christ means to be in communion with Him so that our lives please Him." Remember that the more interpretative the translation (NIV is more interpretative than NASB click chart for comparison) the more you as inductive student are allowing another individual other than God's Spirit to influence your observations and interpretation. In this one galaxy, there are a hundred billion stars spinning around a central disc. The omnipotent God knows how you treat Him and His Son because He created you. In its final form the Psalter was divided into five Books (Ps 1-41; 42-72; 73-89; 90-1 107-150), each of which was provided with a concluding doxology (see 41:13; 72:18-1 89:52; 106:48; 150). Yet in Psalm 139:5, David says, “You have hedged me behind and before, and laid your hand upon me.” This shows that God’s knowledge of us and what our days will be like is so complete that He can guard us from both behind and in front of us day by day. Do you agree? The plain (literal) reading of this text allows for no exceptions. The more we get to know Him through His Word, the more we will understand His will. Jesus is the One with the right to the inheritance of all creation (cf. When the storm in our breast is raging we will not fear, for God is a present help in time of trouble. (See Psalm 46) When we walk through the fire of affliction, if we trust that He was with Daniel in the lion’s den and the Hebrew children in the fiery furnace, He will be with you leading you out faithfully. Would it change anything for or about you? Observation and Interpretation, Dr. Howard Hendricks offers the following humorous example of observation and interpretation from the pen of a 10 year old boy who wrote, The cow is a mammal. Note: Please read all the instructions before you begin. The horns are to butt with and the mouth is to moo with. But happy (blessed) is he who keeps the law. The man cow is called an ox. It is helpful to recognize certain recurring genres or literary types in the Psalter. Finally you might check Greek Word Studies also located on this website for in depth word studies (which are continually being updated). The World’s Final Judgment and the Omnipotent God. An excellent tool for examining related Scripture is the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge (TSK), widely available on the web and part of most Bible software packages. Israel was called God’s first-born in Exodus 4:22 and Jeremiah 31:9. The dead explorer’s finger was pointing to a place on the page in the book where a dialogue was found. Application: Just as an inventor follows the progress of his work to make sure it performs as designed, and that it lives up to the original intentions it was designed for, so God is involved with us—whether we acknowledge it or not, regardless of where we go or what we do. Preparation: As your children arrive, have a helper help them answer some questions about themselves and write them down on a piece of paper. The Psalmist continues by showing how not even darkness can hide us from God. If I’m there alone, the Lord is there! 5) Now go back through Psalm 1 and make a LIST of what you observed about the two major contrasts. Copy 2 Timothy chapter 1 to your word processor - highlight the text below, click copy or "control + C", and then use "paste" or "control + V" function to place the text on your word processor. Q: What is David’s final appeal to God to ensure that he is living as God intends? David says, “O Lord, you have searched me and known me.” (Psalm 139:1) This means that God knows each and every one of us in this intimate way, with deep knowledge of our minds, emotions, wills, and lives.