I thought this was a great post Brittany but I would respectfully disagree that she was not real. In: Bible Study, Faith, Your email address will not be published. While I don’t necessarily agree with 100% of her theology, the book was a very interesting read, and I especially appreciated how diligently she worked to seek out more of the Jewish context behind the Old Testament passages we still read today. Not at all. [Some see Proverbs 31:10-31 as a continuation of what King Lemuel's mother taught him (Proverbs 31:1-9), concluding with this description of an ideal wife for her royal son.] I think those things are absolutely fantastic! The biggest passage I hear quoted in the working vs. staying home debate is Titus 2:4, not necessarily this one. I have always thought that the P31 woman is actually a collection of the best attributes of many women. The PTSD from Domestic Violence has been flash backs of ice picks in the headboard of the bed, death threats and crying in front of the honeydews at Costco… because of a memory where he was squeezing my “skull” and telling me my head was perfect like a Mellon. This article is ONLY to say “Hey, don’t forget these couple of points too”. Interesting. “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings is to SEARCH OUT a matter”. Yes! Which You have laid up for those who fear You, Nevertheless You heard the voice of my supplications, NKJV, Chronological Study Bible: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, NKJV Word Study Bible: 1,700 Key Words that Unlock the Meaning of the Bible, NKJV, Lucado Encouraging Word Bible, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version, The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible, Hardcover: The Word of God and the Shaping of America, NKJV, Vines Expository Bible, Comfort Print: A Guided Journey Through the Scriptures with Pastor Jerry Vines. Often times I feel like a failure. She made wise financial […], Your email address will not be published. Be safe, know the risk of a Godly woman with a man that does not know God is a deadly mixture. 19 (Y)Oh, how great is Your goodness,Which You have laid up for those who fear You,Which You have prepared for those who trust in YouIn the presence of the sons of men!20 (Z)You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presenceFrom the plots of man;(AA)You shall keep them secretly in a [i]pavilionFrom the strife of tongues. Not a wife? Also, the woman of valor described here is a woman in a well-off household, and her own valor increases the wealth of her household. I don’t feel that it’s one woman who does all these things, if it were, when would she have time to sleep?! Thank you! 10 Who can find a virtuous woman? I really need to keep this in mind and have it saved for one of those “I am such a failure days” Thank you. Ahava’s husband sings Proverbs 31 to her at every Sabbath meal. (Or something is wrong with us if we’re not the perfect Proverbs wife or mother.). She *may* have been real, but given the tone of Proverbs with the personification of Wisdom, etc, my best guess is that she’s not. Brittany I love this… its easy to forget that she is NOT real. That just wasn’t the purpose of this article. “And supplies BELTS to the tradesmen” For single men who are looking for an honorable wife, it is a sketch of a godly woman. Just a suggestion! We keep your information safe in accordance with our privacy policy. I always find comfort and truth in what you write, Britttany! And here’s why it’s important to see the Proverbs 31 woman explained…. ? Her husband goes off to the city gate (where he’s a respected elder), and he’s totally confident in her to take care of everything while he’s away. (Not saying we DO that successfully; just that we feel like that’s what’s expected of us…). Striving for all of these is hard and I’m thankful for bloggers like you to point out that life does in fact have gray areas. Awwww, we all feel that way sometimes. But by being the amazing Godly woman God created YOU to be! Have you ever heard of the acronym for B.I.B.L.E.? And I’ve been encouraged through it to be a woman of Valor. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. She’s just a picture — not a real person with bad hair days and bills to pay. She is a diligent worker, it’s one of the main points of the passage! Pay close attention to verses like “What is a Proverbs 31 Woman?” Chances are, if you’re a Christian woman, you already have some sort of idea. We can do both. –Proverbs 31:10, Here’s what I found (it may surprise you too! She honors her husband. Personally, I spent a lot of years ignoring the Proverbs 31 woman. 9 Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy. And it’s not difficult to see why, either. When was the last time I actually read about the Proverbs 31 Woman in the Bible? Here’s what that looks like.”, NOT: “Christian women, you must do EVERY SINGLE ONE of these things to measure up to be a Proverbs wife.”.      your vigor on those who ruin kings.” The fact that the proverbs 31woman wasn’t an actual person doesn’t invalidate the text, when Jesus told parables, they were not about actual people but he used that to send a message and to tell explain further about the kingdom of God. Hope that’s just as helpful! They raise strong, compassionate, and respectable children. Teresa Marie Sellers. (And then I read some more books and articles too) And what I found out about Proverbs 31 women surprised me…. I love that you share that she works so hard! I have never understood why people use passage to push perfection on women. Treat others well, and find yourself a good, Godly woman. ), “Listen, my son! I also think mothers of boys should spend some time giving them advice on the type of women they must court. She is one of many Biblical women who are our guide. Important, yes, but MOST important…? It certainly is the truth that sets us free! New International Version I love the Hebrew translation of, “eshet chayil” as well as your link to the acrostic poem of Proverbs 31 sung in Hebrew. This came up in my search, today and wow. She’s toiling from before the sun comes up to after the sun sets while he gets to sit around at the front gate and gossip with the other guys. When he SITS among the ELDERS of the land” I’m healing and writing books about my life adventures of living in “God’s Waiting Room”… soon to be available on Amazon. Thank you. And yet, Boaz saw her and called her an “eshet chayil” — a woman of valor. You say that no one says she works. Awww, glad to encourage you today! I’m a single parent, but I still strive for the Proverbs 31 way of doing things. Join us! Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. And furthermore, God didn’t speak these words Himself to women everywhere (although all of Scripture is inspired by God). And you know what?