Like saving money? One-hundred-foot tall old-growth Jeffrey pines tower over a series of waterfalls that drop in a seemingly endless cascades: one after the other, crashing and tumbling and laughing, kicking up spray that cools the warm spring air. The grounds are lovely and quiet. From Mammoth Lakes: Drive east on Main Street / CA 203 E for 3.1 miles and turn right onto the entrance ramp for Highway 395 S. Follow Highway 395 S for 15 miles to Tom’s Pace (aka Rock Creek Road). Fall Colors at Rock Creek Canyon. My only suggestion would be new beds. In about two miles, the trail hits an open, flat area surrounded by the giant pines, a great place for a break or to turn around if you are tired. © 2020 Mammoth Lakes Tourism. You can even find gorgeous fall colors right in Mammoth Lakes. Expect high alpine conditions, i.e., be prepared for any kind of weather! Reminder, this place does not follow any health or safety rules or standards, it's non complaint with any disabilities regulations. There are no guide rails or anti slip grip tape or even a floor matt. Winter Adventure Dining with Rock Creek Lodge: December through March, cross country ski or hitch a snowmobile ride several miles into a nighttime winter wonderland to share a fun, family-style meal among friends new and old. 8 miles for all three sections; moderate to difficult. WildWestSuzy. Reno, Nevada. I get a phone message on the way home saying how "disrespected" Jan was that there was trash at the cabin next door . Registration is closed. Abbott region. Rock Creek is a beautiful alpine canyon draining the 13,000' peaks of the Mt. You can keep going on up the trail to the next bridge at about five miles or to the top at about eight miles, as the gorge widens and the trail steepens, crossing into higher elevation ecosystems of Indian paintbrush and sage as you climb. There are 13 campgrounds in Rock Creek Canyon with over 300 campsites. Continue walking over tiny freshwater springs, past big boulders made of pink tuff, up toward the middle of the gorge. Also known as Mosquito Flats trail, the Little Lakes Valley trail is a beautiful and popular hike at the top of upper Rock Creek Canyon, accessed by the main signed trail leading from the parking lot at the end of Rock Creek Road. Giant, pink, balloon flower penstemons and lavender phlox grace the lower reaches of the canyon, even when nearby Mammoth Lakes is still deep in snow. There is a lodge dining room that serves a variety of breakfast items, from light breakfasts to big breakfasts for energy to hike Rock Creek and Little Lakes Valley. Lodging, general stores, and food services are offered at three resorts, one of which operates as a cross-country ski lodge during the winter. He was really a breath of fresh air. Elevation gain and loss: 200-2,000 feet, depending on how far you walk. Sad to say that my family's lifelong tradition will have to change going forward . The one thing I missed from the other rustic cabins I stayed in, was this cabin didn't have a porch to sit on in the mornings/evens in which to enjoy the surroundings or sunsets, and talk about the days events and tomorrows adventures. Located below Rock Creek Lake, and next to a nice stream, the lodge is in a near prefect location, as my brother likes to fish the stream, while I prefer the lake, so it's was easy to please us both. Upon arrival, I try and check in and the rooms are not ready, "sorry, but we don't have enough staff" as I see staff riding bicycles playing around. Update. Perfect for hiking and fishing. There website even agrees by stating: "Bobby Tanner is making much needed improvements". The trail offers dramatic views of surrounding Sierra peaks, excellent wildflowers in spring and early summer, and vibrant fall colors. Fly nonstop year-round to Mammoth Lakes... ESTA offers a variety of bus services, including; deviated fixed routes, local in-town dial-a-ride services, multiple town-to-town services throughout the... Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center, a Designated California Welcome Center. When you come - get your groceries and gas in Bishop as the Lodge is 30 minute drive from the town of Mammoth Lakes. © 2020 Mono County Economic Development, Tourism and Film Commission. The upper reaches of the trail, where it begins just below Toms Place on U. S. 395, are about 2,000 feet higher and are often snow-covered until May. We have been staying at Rock Creek Lodge for 20 years and can hardly wait to go back. We just returned from another trip to Rock Creek Lodge. Drive south on U.S. 395 from Mammoth about 30 miles, until you reach the Gorge Road exit. I have rented their cheapest cabin as well as their most expensive. 19 registrants. There are a half-dozen campgrounds and lodges near Rock Creek Lake. Popular with fishermen and day hikers. Now I'm stuck with literally 1,000's in medical bills and the place is leaving crazy threatening messages daily on my phone that I still owe them for "one night stay". So I planned my yearly fishing trip to rock creek lodge and everything goes bad before we even check in... WHAT A DUMP and major health hazard is an understatement. Leave a car in Paradise for a shuttle back to the top parking area. The Eastern Sierra region is laced with rugged canyons carved by rushing streams and is home to some of the finest fall color viewing anywhere. Thanks for another great trip! The upper two sections of the ride are fun, fast single-track that is not overly technical. Camping at Rock Creek Lake. Fall Colors at Lower Rock Creek. We had nothing to do with whoever left trash at the cabin next to us . Images This allows for a variety of shuttle options or up and back hikes, depending on the season and time available. The final 1.25 miles of the road is single lane with occasional pullouts. The canyon walls begin to rise, the canyon to narrow, and in about a mile, the trail is surrounded by high walls and the creek is crashing down toward the faraway Owens River with little reserve. All Rights Reserved. This 20-mile valley is easy to find between Mammoth Lakes and Bishop, California, at a turnoff from Highway 395 at the exit for Tom’s Place. Nearly all of the sites are provided with a metal fire ring, picnic table, space to park two vehicles, and a good deal of … After 20 years and 100+ reservations, this is the thanks you get it . Mammoth Lakes, California 93546. (42), Climber's Log Entries The trail alternately rises moderately, and mellows for a few hundred feet at a time, as it climbs the first 1,000 feet, passing through thickets of water birch and aspen, alternating with open sunny stretches and wide-spaced Jeffrey pines. The climbing routes are at an elevation of 9,000' on the west side of the canyon so they receive morning sunshine. The View Rock Creek Canyon Image Gallery - 42 Images. The Rock Creek Sno-Park is operated by California State Parks and White Mountain Ranger District -  (760) 873-2500 in winter months (approximately Dec. – March). Rock Creek Rd. Normally, there is a three night minimum stay. The aspen trees … The canyon is narrow and deep and in some places, lined with the exotic hexagonal columnar jointing that defines Devil’s Postpile National Monument. Bring $5 cash with you for day use parking fee. Except for Holiday Campground, the campgrounds in Rock Creek Canyon are located near the creek and the lake. The scenery was beautiful as usual. Perfect place to step back in time, grab your fishing pole and spend long relaxing days without internet/phone on the miles of trail that runs next the creek for excellent fishing and hiking. I'll take a shower, don't even try, the water just trickles out and takes forever just to get wet and impossible to wash of any lathering soap. Yes, free parking is available to guests. After being so nice and trying to look past her attitude , we realize that she will never change . Registered. Drive all the way up the canyon, stopping to take pictures or picnic at Rock Creek Lake along the way. The years have been good to the homestead, now a must-stop for French dip sandwiches, comfy cabins and the inside line on local fishing. Wander along McGee Creek to see the willow, cottonwood an aspen trees as they transform into shades of gold and orange. Lower Rock Creek is a technical single-track trail and is considered one of the area’s best mountain biking trails. The Rustic cabins, offer a little more privacy and are quieter by being a little further away. Only real negative was the small restroom next to the rustic cabins was being worked on, so we had to walk to the main lodge to use the bathroom, and at night in was a bit of inconvenience.We enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back. 3 days is our norm and we rarely get in the car with the exception of driving the short drive up the road for the spectacular little lakes basin hike.This area of Rock Creek is an excellent in the summer as the the elevation is much higher than you will find in Mammoth Lakes and the weather is cooler - perfect 60s and low 70s.This is not 5 star resort - I am surprised to read the reviews that are disappointed that it is not. With the potential to hike to Mono Pass, four miles and 2,000 feet up, many hikers simply stop to take in the views after reaching one of the lakes along the way: Mack Lake, Marsh Lake, Heart Lake, Box Lake, Long Lake, Gem Lake and Chickenfoot Lake.