Bible Verses About Prayer, Bible Verses About Children 1 Corinthians 7:34 …An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs; Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit… 7:28). 1 Corinthians 7:1-40 ESV / 13 helpful votesNot Helpful. “And now, O priests, this command is for you. Singleness Is a Bible Thing In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul takes issue with an ascetic statement in a letter he has received from the Corinthians. ‣ U 19:11). And we must be self-disciplined in “fleeing from sexual immorality” (1 Cor. Single people are spared the “troubles” of marriage. Indeed, I have already cursed them, because you do not lay it to heart. 1:6). That will mean taking the initiative in keeping in close contact with friends and family. K Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. Bible Verses About Healing Great Examples of Singleness in the Bible God Gives the Gift of Singleness. It’s often just … Blog, A Single people are therefore likely to struggle with loneliness and sexual temptation. ‣ The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. When Paul speaks of singleness as a gift, he isn’t speaking of a particular ability some people have to be contentedly single. 7:32-34). But what if I don’t think I have the “gift” of singleness? Those struggles are certainly not exclusive to the unmarried, but they are very much a part of the single condition. ‣ Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.”. Copyright © 2020 The Gospel Coalition, INC. All Rights Reserved. They are likely to face a lifelong battle with loneliness and sexual temptation. Now King David was old and advanced in years. Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. B And large crowds followed him, and he healed them there. Bible Verses About Grace Honor the emperor. It’s often just assumed that adults will have a partner and that there’s something rather odd about them if they don’t for any period of time. Bible Verses About Faith Therefore his servants said to him, “Let a young woman be sought for my lord the king, and let her wait on the king and be in his service. G N What you have said is true.” The woman said to him, “Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. He stood in awe of my name. D After we had spoken about heaven, an elderly single lady said to me, “I can’t wait for my wedding day!” We should all share the same hope. If a verse or topic does not belong, please contact us. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:1 Corinthians 7:7 - For I would that all men were even as I myself. ‣ Behold, I will rebuke your offspring, and spread dung on your faces, the dung of your offerings, and you shall be taken away with it. And there are experiential differences: some have chosen to be single and are basically content; others long to be married and feel frustrated. The lonelier we are, the more likely we are to struggle with sexual fantasy and fall into sin. Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Love the brotherhood. ‣ Let her lie in your arms, that my lord the king may be warm.” So they sought for a beautiful young woman throughout all the territory of Israel, and found Abishag the Shunammite, and brought her to the king. ... Jesus said to her, “Go, call your husband, and come here.” The woman answered him, “I have no husband.” Jesus said to her, “You are right in saying, ‘I have no husband’; for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. Unless otherwise indicated, all content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. As with everything else in life, we should ask God for wisdom ( James 1:5) concerning marriage. All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ‣ The young woman was very beautiful, and she was of service to the king and attended to him, but the king knew her not. Bible Verses About Love E Understandably, Christian couples don’t often talk openly about the hard things they face, which can give singles a rose-tinted view of marriage. But I would have you without carefulness. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife—and his interests are divided” (1 Cor. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another. C ‣ - Sort By Book Order. J Geocoding So much in our society is structured around couples. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. Cite this page: Editor: Stephen Smith. I don’t find it easy being on my own, and I long to marry; does that mean I’m experiencing “second best”? God will wipe away every tear from our eyes and a great shout will be heard: “Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! O OpenBible.info But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. 4 Reasons to Wear a Mask, Even if You Hate It, The 11 Beliefs You Should Know about Jehovah’s Witnesses When They Knock at the Door. The Gospel Coalition supports the church by providing resources that are trusted and timely, winsome and wise, and centered on the gospel of Jesus Christ. Bible Verses About Heaven. Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com. But you say, “Why does he not?” Because the Lord was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant. I Bible Verses About Death It often helps to have one or two close friends to whom we are accountable in this area. F The Most Important Cultural Book of the Year (Maybe Even Decade), Best Defense of Reformed Paedobaptist Covenant Theology.