When the sauce has cooled, transfer it to a clean jar. Omnivore's Cookbook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. What a great thing to have on hand to add zing and heat to so many dishes. Add chili bean paste and sugar and continue to cook over low heat until everything is mixed well and you can smell a strong garlicky aroma, 1 to 2 minutes. Welcome to my site about modern Chinese cooking, Asian inspired dishes, and classic recipes cooked in my small New York Kitchen. That experience was more than 25 years ago, but I’ve never forgotten it. Is the old recipe for the Sichuan all purpose chili-garlic master sauce available anywhere now that this recipe has been changed? I’ve made three batches, the last two doubles. If you give this recipe a try, let us know! What can you use it on? https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/sichuan-all-purpose-chili-garlic-sauce I LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! Then add a tablespoon of sugar so that the paste will be slightly sweet. 1/2 cup peanut oil (or vegetable oil) I’d love to have a really good recipe for that dish, because I have very fond memories of eating it at a restaurant that introduced me to it. Lilja Walter is a part of the Omnivore’s Cookbook team and worked closely with Maggie to develop and test this recipe. But if I won’t use them soon, I usually just threw them away after cooking them in the oil. Haven’t tried the recipe yet but looks great. (3) Add chili peppers and cook over low heat until the color darkens. If the oil starts to smoke, turn to lowest heat. Meanwhile, add the cornstarch to a small bowl with 1 teaspoon water, stir to mix well to make a slurry. I eat it straight from the jar few times a day. I’m thinking about leaving the cut peppers in the vinegar/salt/water/garlic/etc. The sauce turned out very delicious! I love the other sauce with the Sichuan peppercorns! Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Below is the previous version (I created it when I was living in China, only found out that chili garlic sauce means a totally different thing after moving to the US). It won’t be used isn’t it ? 60 grams (15 cloves) garlic, crushed Hi Maggi, You should always keep the sauce in your refrigerator so it stays fresh. If you try it out, do let me know the result . Heat the pot over medium-high heat. Thank you for this recipe . After reaching a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool completely. I guess I’m already used to dealing fresh herbs, so it never occurs to my to use pre-minced ones. In fact, you can save them, ground them into powder, and use it in other dishes that call for peppercorn powder. I add fine powder made from roasted chilli seeds and peppercorns. (4) Add ginger and garlic and give it a quick stir. Anyhow, please see the old recipe below: 30 grams (1 cup) whole dried chili peppers Turn off heat and transfer everything to a large plate to cool off. It’s a great idea for busy people! We’ve made versions with many different peppers and shared them with friends, and we were surprised to find that everyone had their own favorite version. You’ll need a blender, a strainer, and a clean mason jar to preserve your spicy creation. (2) Add oil and peppercorn to a wok (or small skillet) and heat over medium heat. But if you have fermented black beans and love the flavor, you can use them in this recipe instead of fermented bean paste. https://www.justonecookbook.com/doubanjiang-chili-bean-paste This will happen very quickly, in less than 1 minute, if you’re using a gas stove. http://omnivorescookbook.com/sichuan-crispy-beef/ (spicy & crispy, dry stir fry) I truly enjoy the detailed explanations of each recipe you share here, Maggie. I have been wanting to make a Sichuan sauce but never really ventured into it. The last recipe is quite similar to American Chinese Szechuan beef, with more sauce and it tastes sweeter. This recipe is AMAZING!!!!! Maggie, have you ever thought about having a cooking show, on PBS maybe. Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it @omnivorescookbook on Instagram! Thanks so much for pointing it out. When the peppercorns start sizzling, continue cooking for about 2 minutes, until they turn dark brown and you can smell a pungent fragrance. To store, transfer the chili garlic sauce to a clean mason jar and seal it. I suppose I should have messaged you about this recipe when I found it over 5 years ago. Start browsing recipes right away or you could learn more about me here. This homemade chili garlic sauce recipe is just like the famed Huy Fong brand, giving you authentically garlicky and spicy results that are rich and well balanced. How to make your own tomato paste. It’s so versatile, which is why I’m sure it’s going to become your new favorite condiment! mixture for about 7 days before blending and straining. I use it as a topping for my cream cheese sandwich. It is…. As a hot sauce, this chili garlic sauce is amazing with chicken wings. My secret for getting the authentic flavor of Huy Fong is to use red jalapeno peppers. For soups and stews that require the thickening power of tomato paste, the other substitutions on this list might not do.Luckily, it’s super easy to make your own! You can store the sauce at room temperature for a month or in the fridge for up to 3 months. I couldn’t find red jalapeños so I used red Long hot peppers and one red habanero. The first recipe is somewhere in between. I’ve made the chili garlic sauce a number of times now and it fills the house with such amazing fragrant smells!! It was such a wonderful idea and it is so generous of you to share it! If you want a milder flavor, simply add less. suggestions?? It combines those red jalapeno peppers and garlic with sugar, salt, a little vinegar, and a slurry of cornstarch to create the right texture.