i had made before but there was always something missing with the flavor. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Sign up for FREE recipes, tips, and more! Cover the skillet and cook, turning them over once, until the plantains are tender, and they have caramelized, about 8 – 10 minutes. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Don't skip the limes and salt. Remove the peel in strips with your finger. Otherwise they are fabulous. This post may contain affiliate links. of "piononos" which is the most popular way to use sweet plantains in P.R. Yummmm. Then, use a knife to slice into the skin along the length of the plantain. Tag @mommyshomecooking on Instagram and hashtag it #mommyshomecooking or, dulces easy plantains platanos side dish sweet potato, Instant Pot Venezuelan Oxtail Soup [Sopa de Rabo][Video]. Cover the skillet and cook, turning them over once, until the plantains are tender, and they have caramelized, about 8 – 10 minutes. Very simple. Sweet Baked Plantains Recipes 638,208 Recipes. The taste was good. So easy to make! 57.1 g Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. , or enjoy them topped cheese as a snack. We had to scrape off the burnt crust. Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray. When the butter is melted, place the plantains slices into the skillet. The video was very helpful. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until the plantains begin to turn golden brown, then turn over, and continue frying, about 2 minutes per side. My mom used to cook plantains almost every day and the whole family really love them, especially when served with. Bake, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until plantains are golden brown and very tender. The taste was good. Yes No No Preference. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Near the end of cooking I lightly sprinkled with salt. Serve immediately as a side dish to any entrée. Skip. Cut the plantains into 1-inch-thick slices. I grew up ( and still do!) Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. I don't know why that makes such a big difference, but they really increase the deliciousness. Cut each plantain on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices. Cover the skillet and cook, turning them over once, until the plantains are tender, and they have caramelized, about 8 … Note: I would suggest not placing them on a paper towel lined plate as mine stuck to it! Most are larger and slightly more angular in shape than ‘sweet’ bananas. Sprinkle plantain with sugar and cinnamon. 2 very ripe plantains (about 3/4 pound each), peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020517-maduros-fried-sweet-plantains I am always in favor of trying to remove excess oil but will try a way other than a paper towel next time. These Venezuelan Sweet Plantains are also incredibly versatile – serve them alongside your favorite main protein, have them alongside a salad, or enjoy them topped with cheese as a snack. Cut off the ends of the plantains. Caray…. Fry until the plantains begin to turn golden brown, then turn over, and continue frying, about 2 minutes per side. Back to Chef John's Fried Sweet Plantains. https://www.food.com/recipe/oven-baked-sweet-plantains-80130 Have made these twice now, they are so easy and good. I was using the dish for a dessert so mid-way through cooking I sprinkled on about 1T Brown Sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Then, use a knife to slice into the skin along the length of the plantain. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222314/chef-johns-fried-sweet-plantains I want to see your yummy photos! I made these using a nearly black plantain with 2T Coconut Oil in a non-stick frypan. * This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Mommy’s Home Cooking up and running! Fry until the plantains begin to turn golden brown, then turn over, and continue frying, about 2 minutes per side. ©2020 Oriana Romero Photography. Love what you see? Reduce heat to low. Congrats! Remove the peel in strips with your finger. Yum! They're caramelized in the outside and soft and tender in the inside. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition I make this recipe several times per week and it’s one of the first things I remember cooking on my own as a kid. eating these for breakfast along with fried eggs - sunny side-up...delish! This is a lower fat method of making "maduros" without the use of oil and frying in a pan. Don’t slice too deep in, just deep enough to slice the skin. Sprinkle cooked plantains with salt and drizzle with lime. Subscribe to Mommy’s Home Cooking so you’ll never miss a recipe! Plantains are also incredibly versatile – serve them alongside your favorite main protein, like this Venezuelan Asado Negro or Venezuelan Carne Mechada, or have them alongside a salad or beans, or enjoy them topped with cheese as a snack. Thank You, Thank You, and Thanks again, Chef John for sharing this recipe with us. Near the end of cooking I lightly sprinkled with salt. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Oven Baked Spicy Plantain And Sweet Potato That girl cooks healthy. Sprinkle plantain with sugar and cinnamon. I am always in favor of trying to remove excess oil but will try a way other than a paper towel next time. Repeat with remaining plantain slices. I love plantains, especially sweet ones. Thanks Chef John! This recipe made my first time cooking plantains easy. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sweet-plantain-fritters-230483 Read our.