Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium head and add the onion. Mexican food usually contain most of the following spices: You’ll find diced onion and minced garlic in this soup, but to keep this soup quick and easy, we used our taco seasoning mix to flavor the soup. Next time, I'll soak the beans, and maybe cook them or par-cook them before adding to the soup. Rich taste and consistency, almost as if made with cream. All in all I really enjoyed this recipe, thank you! Saute for 2 minutes. I think this would be good with bread…maybe buttery garlic bread. This Beefy Mexican Rice Soup is a hearty mixture of beef, rice, beans and corn. 71 Vegetarian Dishes That Are Packed With Protein, 19 Fava Bean Recipes That Are Ready For Spring. Perfect! Tomatoes are acid, and in an acid environment, beans take an extraordinarily long time to get soft. It’s fantastic with this recipe. We took our favorite parts of a burrito and put them in a soup with a beef stock base. This was delicious. I’ve made it 4 times now. Great recipe! Make sure you store it in an airtight container. This soup started with our love of burritos. Yes! In any case, I used dried limas and cooked long enough to soften them. We like to top the soup with sour cream, shredded cheese and  fresh cilantro. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro if desired. I had long grain, so used it. This recipe will keep in your refrigerator for about 3 days. Just made a half recipe tonight just in case we didn’t care for it. And under ordinary circumstances that isn't necessary as it only knocks off about 5 minutes or so from the total cooking time. Add cumin, coriander, and allspice and cook, stirring often, until onions start to brown, about 5 minutes. Drain. Do yourself a favor. in Education and over 30 years of cooking and baking, I want to teach YOU the best of our family recipes. You can also add crispy tortilla strips or homemade croutons if you’d like. It can seem intimidating to throw a bunch of ingredients and spices on a dutch oven and hope that it tastes good, but it can be fun to try, too. First, I freely admit that I did not adhere strictly to the ingredient list. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro if desired. Another oddity for me--short-grained brown rice. Me and my boyfriend chowed down on it quickly. 38.8 g By: JULIE CLARK Published: October 15, 2019. Add beans, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes. After 20 minutes add the cauliflower and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. 12 %. Beef, Main Dish Recipes, Mexican, Recipes, Soups. Add the beef stock, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, lime juice, salt, cilantro and rice. Process onions and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add rice and simmer, partially covered, until rice and beans are soft, 30–35 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Remember that it will thicken as it sits so it will be thick after you pull it out from the freezer. Your favorite burrito flavors…in a soup recipe! Preparation. Any highlighted, clickable Amazon link you see is an affiliate link. Add the beans and the garlic and continue cooking for about 5-8 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and the garlic has lost its rawness. Can you update to add where/when they are use. If you want, you can buy your favorite taco seasoning packet from the store and use that instead. Add the beef stock, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, lime juice, salt, cilantro and rice. Total Carbohydrate Add onions and garlic, season with salt … Our goal with this soup was to make it taste like a deconstructed burrito. **. 30 minutes simmer seems a very short cooking time for dried beans. I didn't blend the onions and I didn't have lima beans. Saute for about 5 minutes and then add the herbs, salt, bay leaves and rice. They also use roasted garlic. It makes a nice weeknight dinner because you can prep a salad and maybe some homemade garlic bread as you wait for the soup to cook. Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium head and add the onion. DIRECTIONS. Am I seriously supposed to put the dry fava beans directly in, without soaking? Mmmmm. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. I made a few minor adjustments to lower salt (I’m on a low salt diet). This Beefy Mexican Rice Soup is a hearty mixture of beef, rice, beans and corn. If you haven’t tried homemade taco seasoning, I highly recommend it! Do you know what the time would be if cooked in crockpot? If they intended for the beans to be soaked overnight, they didn't say that. I learned this a long time ago with chili but let myself forget it here. Soup smelled wonderful. Cook everything else and only add the tomatoes when the beans are basically done. Honestly, what can go wrong with beef, rice, corn, beans, tomatoes, and a little taco seasoning? Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. And the best thing I liked about this soup is that it tasted better the next day. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast.