If there are any additional insights or comments on Nietzsche, I’d love to hear them. Zarathustra, published in four parts between 1883 and 1885. Instead, scholars should learn prudence and patience, as Nietzsche elaborates: “Learning to see – accustoming the eye to rest, to patience, to letting things come to it; learning to deter judgment, to encircle and encompass the individual case on all sides. You will initially greet any kind of alien, new thing with a hostile calm, and let it approach – you will draw your hand back from it. Reading Nietzsche again 5 years later has given me the opportunity to rediscover why I adore Nietzsche, however this time reading his text raised more questions than it answered. The prudent investor ought to realize the limits of knowledge, recusing himself from crossing over to the tyranny of reason, whose domain is ruled by the academic economists and other clairvoyant value pretenders. Experienced investors will likely find none of the conclusions I make to be revolutionary, nor is that my intention to be so. Denial of the ‘will to life’ is a form of decadence, which reflects moral decay or degeneration. However, it is within the sole discretion of the individual and the investor to determine whether or not they will become harder, bolder, and wiser as a result. Friedrich Nietzsche in his late work Twilight of the Idols proposes what he calls the four great errors.Though Nietzsche offers no introduction to this section of the Twilight, he seems to want to do two things: one, loosely criticize the Aristotelian metaphysics that proposes four causes of being; two, identify the intellectual dimensions of self-deception as a psychological lifestyle. A prudent investor would be well advised to challenge this conventional wisdom. “When we speak of values, we speak under the inspiration, under the optics of life: life itself is forcing us to posit values, life itself is valuing by means of us, when we posit values…”. A person only exists in relation to a greater whole that determines him, and that person cannot be condemned without likewise condemning the ‘whole’. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. As Nietzsche writes, “‘Reason’ is what causes us to falsify the evidence of the senses” (III:2). To divide the world into a ‘real’ world and an ‘apparent’ world is an act of decadence, because it is to deny that what is apparent to our senses is real. In addition to the play-actors, Nietzsche had a special place in his heart (or more aptly, in his bowels) for the hyper-rational type, epitomized by Socrates as Nietzsche’s ‘theoretical man’ in The Birth of Tragedy. In 1869 he was appointed… More about Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-Christ IntroductionTranslator’s NoteTwilight of the Idols, or How to Philosophize with a HammerForewordMaxims and ArrowsThe Problems of Socrates“Reason” in PhilosophyHow the “Real World” at last Became a MythMorality as Anti-NatureThe Four Great ErrorsThe “Improvers” of MankindWhat the Germans LackExpeditions of an Untimely ManWhat I Owe to the AncientsThe Hammer SpeaksThe Anti-ChristForewordThe Anti-ChristGlossary of Names, Sign up for news about books, authors, and more from Penguin Random House, Visit other sites in the Penguin Random House Network. Nietzsche attacks the philosophical tradition’s idea of ‘Reason’ (German: Vernunft), the faculty by which we purportedly discover truths which are neither historically nor temporally contingent, those which are beyond what sensory experience can teach us in the third chapter, titled “‘Reason’ in Philosophy”. "If there were a party of those who aren't sure they're right, I'd belong to it." The superman is beyond good and evil, because he affirms his ‘will to life.’ He creates his own affirmative values, which affirm the ‘will to power,’ because the value of a belief or idea is in whether it is life-affirming. In terms of which texts I will cover, there is no predetermined order and it will likely be highly influenced by what classes I am taking at the time and which texts I deem relevant to investing. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. In his introduction Michael Tanner discussed the themes of Nietzche’s argument and places the works in their historical and philosophical context. These indolent individuals impugn their having any responsibility, instead they find solace with the rest of the herd, blaming their mistakes on misfortune and unforeseeable ‘black swans.’ But for such individuals, Nietzsche states, “Rash actions are rarely one-offs.