In observation you are like a crime scene investigator. Example: Ex. You examine the scene, check the context, and see whose fingerprints are in the verse. It is the basic for accurate interpretation and correct application. The temptation in this step is to make every application a personal one, meaning relying on personal experience for every example. For some people it is not important, but if you can weave that into your understanding, you can increase the value of your study. 628 22 Q - A type prefigures something or someone to come. In interpreting symbols one is not free to impose his own interpretation but he must discover the author's intention by taking into consideration the culture, principles of interpretation, the overall message of the book and in many cases the author's own specific definition. “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Observation is not determining what the text means but simply looking for the "facts" without interpreting them. Reflect on the words. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. “They don’t answer the question of ‘What do you see going on in the text?’ All of this wasted time is spent trying to find out what the Bible means without a basic understanding of what it says. And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I think the better use of application is to consider the most common or destructive patterns of behavior common to all men and women and allow those examples to come through in the teaching. We give people all the answers. ... Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Only after someone believes the value of the Bible can they really start to study.”. Observe atmosphere, moods, and emotions. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. If we read the Bible and think on the Word, what will happen to us? 5:7). I am the living bread that came down from heaven. And ye shall observe to do all the statutes and judgments which I set before you this day. In order to do good observation you need to Look, Look, Look...until looking becomes seeing. Scripture –Gal. Question: "What does the Bible say about self-worth?" At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. Can Loved Ones in Heaven Look Down on You? Example: I Cor. When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with [my] whole heart. Example: Rev. 0000001323 00000 n When are/will they suffer? Don't Lose Thanksgiving in the Christmas Prep! 3:7 - "you brood of vipers", - An extended metaphor that has the form of a story. Example: John 15:1-9 - "vine and branches", - Implies something different, even the opposite of what is stated. ", " How is this word used? <]>> Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. For much of his life he’s been a traveling evangelist for Bible study—ministering in over 80 countries. In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at twilight, is the Lord's Passover. 3:30 - "Circumcision" for, - Part of something is mentioned but the whole is meant. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does … “He changed the course of my life,” Hendricks says. Read entire books at a time. What are their relationships? 28. ▪ I, you, she, they, mine, yours, his, their, who, me, etc. Read the passage as for the first time. 0000014271 00000 n Bible Study Resources - Tips, Online Bible Search, Devotions, 10 Christian Hymns That Need to Be Put to Rest, 8 Unhealthy Beliefs Christians Lean on to Hide Their Needs, How to Be Thankful, Even When You Really Don't Feel Like It. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. Understand that the author used structure to send a message. - Gal 3:6 "Thus Abraham 'believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness'. Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. H���[o���ϧ�c[�+ޖ�"H�i��N� y0���ǖ)�N/��x[��]m From new moon to new moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, declares the Lord. Used for the effect of humor or sarcasm. 1:16 - "Didn't confer with flesh and blood", James 4:8b. - The practice of describing God in human terms as if he has hands, feet, a face, etc. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. It is best to have the type explicitly mentioned in the New Testament. One Sabbath, when he went to dine at the house of a ruler of the Pharisees, they were watching him carefully. The fact that a given passage can be applied in ten different ways doesn't automatically mean that the author had all ten applications in mind when he wrote the text. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. And Hezekiah appointed the divisions of the priests and of the Levites, division by division, each according to his service, the priests and the Levites, for burnt offerings and peace offerings, to minister in the gates of the camp of the Lord and to give thanks and praise. In order to do good observation you need to Look, Look, Look...until looking becomes seeing. Oh how I love your law! ‣ As I approach a text for the first time, I start with a careful observation of the passage. 630 0 obj<>stream Example: Romans 5:14,1 Cor. - Something that stands for another meaning in addition to its ordinary meaning. Example: Prov. 0000003781 00000 n - The use of understatement. On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. And the daughter of Zion is left like a booth in a vineyard, like a lodge in a cucumber field, like a besieged city. God Delights in Every Detail of Your Life - iBelieve Truth: A Devotional for Women - November 23, When Do You Thank God?