The series is based on both these girls as they buddy up as roommates and start a babysitting business to fund their adventures. It’s an unsurprising — but still unusual — conclusion to the very strange journey of one of Nickelodeon’s most popular shows, which has been plagued with problems since earlier this year. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking news? What could possibly go wrong? The most important news stories of the day, curated by Post editors and delivered every morning. ", Grande called her fans the "most loyal, dedicated and continuously loving supporters I could ever imagine. When the show debuted in June 2013, McCurdy was known mostly for her work on “iCarly” and trying (without much success) to launch a country music career. I felt it wasn’t my place to make any sort of announcement so I kept quiet until now,” Grande wrote in part, noting that the network launched her career. Season 1 ; Subscribe. "The rumors circulating about our contracts and our salary not being equal are absolutely ridiculous and false," the " Problem" singer wrote. Grande, who played Cat, also thanked the show's creator Dan Schneider, the cast and crew, but did not mention her co-star Jennette McCurdy. In April a rumored rift between the actresses supposedly had to do with their salaries. Total opposites, Sam and Cat first meet when a wild predicament lands both girls in the back of a moving garbage truck. Instead, it’s a rare miss for Schneider, by far the shortest run for any of his shows over the last 20 years. Either way, it seemed obvious that both actresses had bigger plans than another kid-friendly sitcom. Meanwhile, a few more episodes of “Sam & Cat” trickled out over the summer until Nickelodeon finally said this weekend that Saturday’s episode (the 35th of the order) would be the last. The show was also rocked by scandal before that. The Nickelodeon show has been canceled after one season, Grande, 21, confirmed on her Twitter page. On the bus. Grande posted a lengthy goodbye message and tribute to her character, Cat, on Facebook. Schneider received the network’s first-ever Lifetime Achievement award and was honored on stage by many young stars he had launched to stardom. She clarified that it didn’t have anything to do with the risque photos, but instead “has to do with how [N]ickelodeon treated me.”. Rumors flew about a McCurdy-Grande feud and tension on set. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking stories about interest? The show was put on hiatus in April, with four episodes remaining to be shot. ", Recently, Grande's music career has taken off with her latest hit "Problem.". S1 E1 Jun 08, 2013 . In April, Grande addressed the rumors about conflict with her co-star. “We are very proud of the show and its very talented cast and we wish them all the best.”. At school. "I want to thank Nickelodeon for making a childhood dream of mine come true, for being a family to me, for being so accommodating and supportive of my multitasking with my music career, and for of course introducing me to many of my fans however many years ago. That’s a massive number of episodes, and Schneider said at the time it felt “daunting.” Plus, it left less time for both of his stars to pursue their side projects. But he’s moved on to the next project, as “Henry Danger” premieres later this month. In early April, word got out that “Sam & Cat” was going on “hiatus” even though there were still several episodes of Season 1 left to film. "We are very proud of the show and its very talented cast and we wish them all the best.". 1 album — netted a larger salary. All rights reserved. The spinoff show, with McCurdy coming from "iCarly" and Grande coming from "Victorious," was a huge hit for Nickelodeon and quickly became the network's highest-rated series. Read: Ariana Grande Sidelined by Vocal Chord Hemorrhage, Related: Ariana Grande Sued Over Mega-Hit Song. We are very proud of the show and its very talented cast and we wish them all the best, the network said in a statement to Deadline. Within a month, Nickelodeon doubled the order to 40 episodes for the first season. Ariana Grande and Jennette McCurdy will be "Sam & Cat" no more. How does Sam get around? 9/9. No word from McCurdy, who has stayed under the radar the past several months. With Jennette McCurdy, Ariana Grande, Cameron Ocasio, Maree Cheatham. #Pilot . At the time Grande took to her Twitter page to clarify that she and McCurdy agreed that they "would be treated equally" in "all regards.". Click here to watch video. McCurdy later tweeted that there was a long story behind why she didn’t attend. By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, Style reporter covering pop culture and entertainment, Share your feedback by emailing the author. In a wheelbarrow. "We've been through so much and you are still here… and we've got a long way to go. Sam & Cat is an American sitcom that originally aired on Nickelodeon from June 8, 2013 to July 17, 2014. "I want to thank Nickelodeon for making a childhood dream of mine come true, for being a family to me, for being so accommodating and supportive of my multitasking with my music career, and for of course introducing me to many of my fans however many years ago.". TMZ reported that McCurdy was angry that Grande — who at this point had released a No. “Nickelodeon will not be producing more episodes of ‘Sam & Cat,'” a network rep told the Hollywood Reporter. In the hospital. Grande’s singing career exploded over the next several months, thanks to her smash single “Problem” (featuring rapper Iggy Azalea), making her more of a household name than ever. Earlier this year, rumors circulated of a rift between the two co-stars as well as friction on the set amid the show's demanding 40-episode production schedule. In a limo. A few days later, racy photos of McCurdy were posted across the Internet. Have a question about our comment policies? But when about 4.2 million people tuned in for the “Sam & Cat” series premiere — the network’s best live-action debut in three years — executives saw dollar signs. McCurdy went on a podcast and joked about her relationship with NBA player Andre Drummond, making fun of his kissing skills. Where did Sam find Cat? As it turned out, many things. What started as an excellent plan in theory took just about a year to fall apart, as Nickelodeon confirmed Sunday that “Sam & Cat” is officially canceled; the episode that aired Saturday night will serve as the series finale. She flies. Then, there was simply radio silence — about the show, at least. Full Episodes. Advertisement (TV-G) Watch Now. "I don't know who's putting these idiotic quotes out there but I thought I'd straighten it out and try to end this nonsense.". Review our. 90 % Dislike this post. Earlier this year there were rumors of conflict on set involving McCurdy, 22, Grande, and reported arguments with show honchos. (Drummond denied leaking the pictures.) Except there were a few things working against everyone. Then, on Sunday, Deadline Hollywood reported that Nickelodeon was pulling the plug on the show and calling it's 36th episode the series finale. On a mobile device? It is a crossover/spin-off and sequel of both iCarly and Victorious.It stars Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande as Sam Puckett and Cat Valentine respectively. On her motorbike. Grande thanked show creator Dan Schnieder, the cast, crew and fans of the show in her heartfelt note, but made no mention of her co-star McCurdy. In a dumpster. The 21-year-old thanked her fans for continuing to stick by her. Subscribe. Ariana Grande posted a loving message to fans following the abrupt cancellation of her show "Sam & Cat" before the end of its first season. Nickelodeon had no comment on the tweets. 10 % More # netflix # nickelodeon # trivia-quizzes # tv-show-quizzes # … There was also no news about a Season 2 renewal; generally, Schneider’s shows are renewed like clockwork. Regardless, they charged through; though by this past winter, things started to unravel. A pair of roommates start a baby-sitting service to earn extra cash. © 2020 ABC News Internet Ventures. "The rumors circulating about our contracts and our salary not being equal are absolutely ridiculous and false. Both “iCarly” and “Victorious” were created by Dan Schneider, the brains behind some of the network’s biggest hits over two decades, including “All That,” “Drake & Josh” and “Zoey 101.” With Schneider in charge of “Sam & Cat,” it seemed like a no-brainer that this show would take off like his others did; the network ordered 20 episodes to start.